PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to lose fat quick?

VoidNinja
06-30-2003, 01:24 AM
I have some fat on my belly, not much, but enough to not see my abs. I can see the line, but no abs, and i have fukin fat on them. I need a way to reduce my fat quick, and also moderatly all over my body, i cant get defined with fat. thanks :confused:

TigerJaw
06-30-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by VoidNinja
I have some fat on my belly, not much, but enough to not see my abs. I can see the line, but no abs, and i have fukin fat on them. I need a way to reduce my fat quick, and also moderatly all over my body, i cant get defined with fat. thanks :confused:

Lyposuction.

Alternatively you could eat fewer calories and do more excercise. Weight training and cardio HIIT should have the best results. There are no quick ways. It all takes time and effort.

fidon
06-30-2003, 06:20 AM
Yeah, excercise is the best way, you'll eventually lose weight thru lots of training, perhaps some cardio workouts? Having a little weight is alright, once you have conditioned up your body then you should still be able to take hits fat or no fat...but everything takes time.

monkey mind
06-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Intestinal parasites! On my first trip to Nepal I lost 20 pounds in 1 month. And no workout required (except the hourly sprint to the bathroom).

fa_jing
06-30-2003, 01:57 PM
you could try chinese "Bailerina" brand dieter's tea - more or less the same effect as trip to Nepal...

jun_erh
06-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Atkins diet. no carbs. start now

fa jing- what is that stuff? I've seen it. I thought "diet" or whatever was just an awkward translation

Robin Quivers from Howard Stern Show did some diet that was Kyann (sp?) peppers and maple syrup or something. She lost 50 pounds. To make sure she stuck with it she had a no party edict!

Leimeng
06-30-2003, 10:50 PM
~ Dysentary will help you loose weight quickly. I once lost 25 lbs in 24 hours when I lived in Brasil.
~ Lyposuction will help you get rid of it temporarily in a quick manner.
~ You should have asked "What is the BEST way to get rid of fat?"
~ In that case the answer would be, burn more calories than you consume. In other words, exercise and diet.

Peace,

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

Laughing Cow
06-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by VoidNinja

Why are you so worried about seeing your abs and being defined?

Your opponents and sparring partners won't worry about that.

Maye some woman might, but I doubt that it will affect your MA skill.
;)

David Jamieson
07-01-2003, 06:07 AM
divorce :D

no wait.... Cut your head off :D

no wait...

nevermind

45degree fist
07-02-2003, 09:15 AM
one tip I put to practice is to drink an enourmous amount of water daily. with every mill I try to drink a liter of water with it, this not only fills me up faster but is known to help you digest your food better. You will pI$$ like a race horse but your body will stop retaining water because it is getting a steady supply.

also I havent tried it yet but they say colon cleansers help rid the intestinal track of built up waste and this decreases belly size.

Crash
07-02-2003, 09:47 AM
also I havent tried it yet but they say colon cleansers help rid the intestinal track of built up waste and this decreases belly size.

Colonics? *shudder* If I were to ever get a tattoo, it would be on my butt and be a "do not enter" road sign.

You want to lose fat quick? Malaria is another option. Otherwise diet and exercise is your healthiest/best/most intelligent option. I may be remember my numbers wrong, but I believe that a healthy fat loss rate is something like 2lbs./week with proper diet and exercise, though I think it's really more than that. When I first started MA, I was a bit overweight and I was sticking to proper diet and exercise. I did not use any fad pills or weird gimmicks, and I lost about 5 lbs./week in the first 4 weeks.

Golden Arms
07-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Atkins diet is used by a lot of male models when they need to rip up for underwear shoots. It works..I just dont think its too hot if you plan on working out or having endurance..the healthy way is usually more gradual..but a month on atkins will give you major results.

45degree fist
07-02-2003, 02:41 PM
By colon cleansers I meant High Fiber Dietery Supplements. LOL

And yes you should definitely exercise while dieting for best results. and with the excess of h2o in your system you should sweat tremoundusly thus causing the fat to burn.

Royal Dragon
07-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Find a book called "Fit or Fat" by Covert Baily

He is a retired Bio Chemist, and e explaines the mechanics and chemistry behind fat burning. Basically he states the body burns sugar for the first 20 minutes or so of any work out routine, and then shifts to fat burning for the long hual. He recomends a good 20 minute warmup, followed by 20 minutes of continous non stop cardio. However, he explains that it should not be ultra intense. If you are breathing so hard it's hard to talk, your over doing it.

I take that to mean you should train till you can't talk, and back off just enough to talk clearly, and continue this pace for 20 minutes after warm up.

Now for me, I have weight retention problems, so I double it to 40 minutes + the warmup. Also, I like to add strength conditioning prior to the actual fat burn part of my workout because muscles burn more fat than anything else, so I figure having alot of size is important. Unfortunetly, muscle building exercises themselves don't really burn much fat.

A good fat burning, Kung Fu workout would be something like this

20 min - Warmup

20 minutes of conditioning (or weights)

40 minutes of nonstop Kung Fu forms training. I especially like Long Fist style forms for this.

40 minutes sparring or self defence drills (Hey, the extra cardio, even light, burns even more fat, and you get to fight too!! :D )

Repulsive Monkey
07-10-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm sorry but the person who suggested that drinking large volumes of water with each meal is seriously inccorrect. One too much fluid will put the Kidneys under strain and weaken the bladder and as absolutely DOES NOT aid digestion at all. Where on earth you got that lazr-brain idea from I'll never know.

Drinking loads of fluids with your meal is more likely to give you food retention and indegestion too. Over a longer period of time large frequent volumes of water will cause dietary problems and kidney problems too, possibly some lung too as you are working so hard to try and sweat it all out the body has to use its reserve energy just to make the body function at a normal rate.

So the over loading of water idea is a rubbish idea for health, but a great idea for illness.

Ford Prefect
07-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Not really. The more water you drink, the less you'll retain. While I agree that it is counter productive to drink a lot of water or any other fluid at a meal, I think that good amounts of water daily will not only aid in health but in appearence as well. Without the excess layer of water retained under the skin, you will have better definition and a harder look. You will also never be dehydrated which is also a good thing as well.

Obviously there is a limit where too much water is enough due to strain put on the kidneys although water hardly strains the kidneys. The most dangerous part is overhydration where the salt levels in your body become too dilluted and you die. However, most people will burst and definately stop drinking water before this happens.

Rory
07-10-2003, 04:52 PM
Cocaine????

Royal Dragon
07-10-2003, 06:20 PM
Have you tried the "Jenny Crank" Diet?

Laughing Cow
07-10-2003, 06:23 PM
Ok, stand there.

Arms up let me get the sword ready. You said about 1 inch of the waist.

Ok, this won't hurt much.
:D

Royal Dragon
07-11-2003, 08:21 PM
Ok, try this,

7:00 Am eat half of a pinnaple

7:30 to noon walk consistantly at a good pace non stop except for 60 seconds every 40 minutes to chug water.

12:00 Eat other half of Pinneaple

12:30 to 5:00 PM, walk back home

5:00 Pm eat some REALLY REALL lean meat, no more than you can ball up in your palm. no bread, no mayo, nothing, just plain cooket meat. It could be chicken, Fish, Beef, whatever, just make sure you don't eat more than you can fit in your palm.

Do this 4 times a week. On the off days (every other day), eat two meat meals, and one pinneapple, and lift weigths all day hitting every major and minor group 3 times.

Do this routine every week for 36 weeks, and you will be thin and ripped.

I knew a guy who was layed off from work in the auto body industry back in the early 90's who did this, and he was totally RIPPED by the time he got another job. I'm not sure when he job hunted, but I know it wasn't until unemployment was almost up. The only difference is he ran till he couldn't anymore, and then walked the rest of the time and had a variety of fruites instead of just pineapple. Sometimes he biked it instead of hoofed it, or swam laps, but the hours were the same.

Samurai Jack
07-12-2003, 03:54 PM
I've lost 10 lbs. which has shaved five percent off of my total bodyfat percentage in the last three weeks. Here is what I'm doing and will continue to do probably forever, but at least until I drop ten more pounds:

1. I used to drink 2 forty four ounces of mountain dew a day. I've cut all sugary drinks from my diet and replaced them with water and unsweetened iced tea (keeps caffeine levels up, zero calories/no aspertame and it's got anti-oxidants, I think I'm in love).

2. I check the labels on foods to ensure that snacks aren't providing more than 200 calories twice daily, and full on meals aren't providing more than 500 calories per meal. I'll stop doing this when I hit my target weight as this is really just accelerating my calorie defecit.

3. Any time I'm craving something sweet, I have a piece of fruit. Of course I keep this within reason. I have this theory that when you're craving sugar, what your body really wants is the vitamins contained in fruit. So that's what I give it. If you think about it, it sort of makes sense what with all of the fruit FLAVORED sweets on the market... just a theory.

4. I only eat when I'm hungry, and I usually wait an hour before giving in.

5. I stopped driving my car as much as possible and started biking everywhere (at least to work, Aikido, and the gym).

My plan is to make all of these changes aside from the dieting permanent lifestyle adjustments. Every major change in my behavior that I've made with this mindset has stuck, so I know it'll work. It's how I started weight training, three years ago, gave up smoking/drinking/drugs five years ago, and started martial arts training ten years ago.

Whatever you choose to do, make sure your resolutions are modestly manageable for who you are, and make the change an everyday part of your routine.

Hope this helps!

Yung Apprentice
07-12-2003, 05:32 PM
I've heard these diets are good.

"Atkins"
"Six Week Body Makeover"
"Zone"
"Mediterrean diet"

KungFuFighting
07-14-2003, 04:52 PM
the best way to lose this fat is lower your carbs...A LOT, try to reduce your calories as well. Drinking a good amount of water (2-3 liters) will help clean out your system, and aid in breaking up fat and redcing your apetite. Increase the amount of cardio you do every day too.

Serpent
07-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by KungFuFighting
the best way to lose this fat is lower your carbs...A LOT, try to reduce your calories as well. Drinking a good amount of water (2-3 liters) will help clean out your system, and aid in breaking up fat and redcing your apetite. Increase the amount of cardio you do every day too.

Not true.

The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. If you drastically reduce carbs and increase protein (a la Atkins) you will end up with ketoacidosis and put strain on your kidneys and liver. This sort of diet should only be a very short term thing adn even then I think it's bad.

Water does not aid in breaking up fat. Everybody should drink plenty of water, but it won't help you lose fat.

Increase the cardio and resistance training, decrease the calories - that's the only long term effective way to do it.

Yung Apprentice
07-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Although I'm not saying you are wrong, to my knowledge, there hasn't been a study that has proven that "ketosis" puts a strain on your kidneys.

Carbs generally have a lot of calories. Outside of cheeses, the chicken and meats and vegetables suggested are relatively low calorie.

Serpent
07-15-2003, 12:12 AM
Sure they are. That's the basis of the idea, but it's flawed.

rubthebuddha
07-15-2003, 08:08 AM
and that flaw? lessening the intake of cheesy goodness.

Ford Prefect
07-15-2003, 08:16 AM
The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. If you drastically reduce carbs and increase protein (a la Atkins) you will end up with ketoacidosis and put strain on your kidneys and liver.

I agree with this to a certain extent though. Reducing your (but not eliminating carbs) and replacing them with proteins will aid in weight loss greatly.

MatT3T4
07-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

If you drastically reduce carbs and increase protein (a la Atkins) you will end up with ketoacidosis and put strain on your kidneys and liver. This sort of diet should only be a very short term thing adn even then I think it's bad.

If you follow the Atkins diet like you are supposed to, you will end up with ketosis, which is the goal. If you screw off and try to put your own spin to it, you can end up with ketoacidosis, which is not good.

Consult a physician and have him/her monitor your diet, and tell you what to do if you want Atkins. If you follow the plan as you are supposed to, you should be fine, so long as you don't have pre-existing ailments.

I am about to hop on Atkins starting Monday. I want to use this for 3-6 months to blow off fat, and then get back onto a diet/excersize routine.

Samurai Jack
07-15-2003, 04:17 PM
Why not do the exercise with the diet now? Can't you Atkinize and exercise together?:cool:

Yung Apprentice
07-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Of course, in fact they stress that in the diet. As with any diet, if you want to lose weight healthily (is that even a word?) you MUST excersice. Excersice helps lose weight faster then just dieting alone, and it speeds up your metabolism.

I think what Mat was saying, that he is going to jump on Atkins, which more then likely he'll still be excercising, and then when he reaches his goal weight, jump off, and keep the weight off by excersicing.

Serpent
07-15-2003, 11:54 PM
Sure, but up to 6 months on Atkins!? I don't like it at all, but even using his philosophy I think that a month is more than enough. It's a fad diet that comes and goes and it's dangerous in my opinion.

Yung Apprentice
07-16-2003, 12:22 AM
It's a diet that has been around for quite some time. The first book being published in 1972. (which is older then I am) In fact, in the 1950's ,two scientists (Prof. Alan Kewick, and Dr. Gatson) were the first to do studies on a low carb diet, and they both came to the conclusion, that carbs are bad, uuummmkay. (I'm watchin South Park!)

The Atkins diet, isn't the elimination of carbs, but the limiting of some. Mainly the ones that are processed, i.e. sugars, pastas, and breads.

Basically the Atkins diet, wants you to progress thru different levels. At each level, you raise your carb intake, stressing the good carbs,from natural things like nuts and certain veggies, over the processed ones.

TigerJaw
07-16-2003, 03:25 AM
That's my understanding of what Atkin's himself said and to be honest it sounds to me like eventually, you progress to a diet which is really quite good. In fact, not to disimmilar to the diet I eat myself.

I have two worries about Atkin's though. The induction period seems to me to be extreeme, dangerous and unneccersary. I say dangerous because I've met people who cycle from induction to 'eating normally'. Their idea of induction being to eat no carbs or vegetables of any kind but plenty of yummy bacon, eggs and steak. I was in Boston a few months back and was on my own at breakfast so as you do i listened in on the conversation the two guys were having on the table next to me. Among the many scary things they both said, one of them claimed to do 'the no carb thing' one week in every four. :rolleyes: Doesn't seem healthy to me.

My other worry is that people mis-understand the diet. I guess it ties in with my point above but it's sold by the idea of eat as much fat as you like and stay thin. So some people eat appaulingly unhealthy diets with no vegetables, just meat and cheese. Here's another sacry quote 'Beans aren't allowed, that's a shame, it's the only vegetable I eat.'

MatT3T4
07-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by TigerJaw

My other worry is that people mis-understand the diet.

That's the main problem with it. That is where you hear most people complaining that they went on Atkins and got sick, etc...They WEREN'T on Atkins. They were on their own version of it. If you follow the book to the T, you will be fine. If you modify it to fit your needs, that is when things go awry.

I am starting on Monday, and I will be following it to the T. The only modification I will make is when I go to class. I'll be signing up in a Wing Chun class most likely, and I will need the energy.

Here's the thing...people like us who need to lose weight, but need to be active, need to do a Targeted Ketogenic Diet. This means that you need to induce ketosis, but when you need to work out, you can have 25-50g of carbs (maybe more if you weigh more), to give you the energy you need while working out. All of these carbs will be burnt up during your martial arts workout, and you will return to ketosis in no time.

http://www.keto.org/summary.htm

Ming Yue
07-16-2003, 10:37 AM
I'm sure this has been mentioned (I didn't read the whole thread - i'm a lazy lurker), but if not, look into HIIT training.

high intensity interval training - a great cardio workout. look up HIIT on Google for more info. mix that up with some weights and cut out the simple carbs entirely. drink tons of water.

:)

again, sorry if all that's an echo....

Yung Apprentice
07-16-2003, 11:11 PM
Beans can eventually be allowed. As long as it doesn't go over your daily carb intake. Everyone has a different amount of carbs they can have without gaining weight. Some, it can be 60 grams, others a 110. And on the bright side, after you get past the induction phase, you CAN break the diet every now and then.

kungfuyou
08-07-2003, 11:03 AM
Atkins can be a great diet, like someone said, if you follow it to the T! It's highly recommended by most Doctors for diabetics. I'm sure doctor's would recommend something so highly if it wouldn't work for a long time. Diabeties isn't something that just comes and goes and they put you on the Atkins diet for a short amount of time!!

Like anything, it can work for some, and not for others.

MatT3T4
08-07-2003, 11:33 AM
I have been on it for 17 days, and I have lost 20lbs. :D :D :D

I spoiled myself last night and ate at my favorite Mexican restaurant, and now it's back to strict Atkins again.