PDA

View Full Version : There Can Be Only One

Shuul Vis
06-30-2003, 08:41 AM
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/news/story.jsp?floc=NW_1-T&oldflok=FF-APO-1110&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20030630%2F091582923.htm&sc=1110

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 08:44 AM
See? See what happens when you obsess over sh!tty movies!??!

Now go watch La Règle du Jeu.

Royal Dragon
06-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Well, it looks like we have to ban "Highlander" style Samuria Swords now :rolleyes:

Chinwoo-er
06-30-2003, 10:08 AM
it doesn't say anyone's heads were cut off. I am not sure if highlander was to blame :rolleyes:

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 10:10 AM
I am willing to blame cr@ppy movies for all of society's ills. NB - I said "cr@ppy" not "violent."

JAZA
06-30-2003, 10:15 AM
Bowling for Columbine.

rubthebuddha
06-30-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
I am willing to blame cr@ppy movies for all of society's ills. NB - I said "cr@ppy" not "violent." stupid ishtar is causing all this drug abuse. i just know it. :mad:

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Actually, I remembered after I posted that that Tim McVeigh's favorite movie was Brazil. So, it turns out that psychos with good taste just do more damage.

:(

Shaolin-Do
06-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Thats not funny.
Its sad and sick.
Sh!t like that just depresses me. What if my mom had been shopping that day?

Did no one see him walking up with the f*ckin sword or what??
I dunno... Ill be back on at 4.
:)
Peace!
SD

Kristoffer
06-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Whadda freak I think it would be pretty scary to see that. That's like a dream scenario for a Ilaido/Kendo practioner

chen zhen
06-30-2003, 02:07 PM
I wonder why they had to pick a photo where he wears a tuxedo & bowtie.

norther practitioner
06-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Prob. just the only one they had... still, guy would have whole conversations with himself while bagging groceries....:eek:

Royal Dragon
06-30-2003, 02:14 PM
still, guy would have whole conversations with himself while bagging groceries....

Reply]
HA!, that's nutti'n! I do that during............uhh never mind.

:p

Laughing Cow
06-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Royal Dragon

Reply]
HA!, that's nutti'n! I do that during............uhh never mind.

I guess that makes you popular with the ladies. ;)

rubthebuddha
06-30-2003, 03:00 PM
it's better than saying chao over and over again in while in the throes of ecstacy.

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by chen zhen
I wonder why they had to pick a photo where he wears a tuxedo & bowtie.

I'd say it's his prom picture, but I have a hard time believing he found a date for the prom.

StickyHands
06-30-2003, 03:13 PM
you know guys it's not really funny. people died. and despite being schizophrenic or not, im sure people realized the problem from long ago. as it said in the article, he was kind and wasnt exposed to any addiction, but he was mistreated all his life. and i bet he was lonely. so gotta wonder, who's to blame, just only the "psycho" himself?

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Maybe living in a nation where there's no health coverage for most people and mental illness is stigmatized and generally not covered under what health plans there are is REALLY the problem.

StickyHands
06-30-2003, 03:25 PM
i hope ur not being sarcastic there :). no nation is perfect, but at least you would expect most people to play nice and have some sort of decency.

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 03:27 PM
No, I'm not being sarcastic. It's just a trite old saw, but it's true: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

StickyHands
06-30-2003, 03:32 PM
ya not surprised that he was mistreated. like the other person said, another mini columbine.

JAZA
06-30-2003, 05:34 PM
I agree with CSN, my country has a very bad health care system too. Last week a guy killed another with a farm fork and I don't think he was a fan of kungfu movies or have ever seen a tiger fork form.

ZIM
06-30-2003, 06:21 PM
This is really sad... the guy didn't need to be made fun of, he needed meds and proper care. :( I mean, he was schizophrenic not a sociopath.

Thankfully, even the schizophrenics who don't take meds are usually pretty docile [just more so when they are]. This is 'man bites dog' news, generally speaking- but nobody points that out. Thats part of the stigma working still. Schizophrenics are very frightened, lonely people.

Sympathies to family & friends of the victims.

CSN- maybe if they start keeping track of 'bad outcomes' for psychiatrists, like they do for cardiologists or oncologists, we'll start to see a change.

Laughing Cow
06-30-2003, 06:29 PM
One question that bothers me:

How did he lay his hands on the Weapon?
Where did it come from?

Traditional weapons are more still very dangerous and can do a LOT of damage in untrained hands.

Sad Business and I feel for the bereaved families.

Also don't blame the TV-Series or Movie, a deranged person can be set of by anything.

I guess too many people will now jump on the bandwagon and try to get this type of shows banned and claim "compensation" from the makers.
And will try to ban that type of sword too I guess.

IME, good control of weapons aquisition to only trained people will to a large degree prevent this type of incidents, rather than hurt the MA community by now getting a blanket ban on those weapons, and so on.

And that is the really sad part.

Shaolinlueb
06-30-2003, 06:45 PM
that guy had problems man, they dont need to ban anything. i feel bad for the families of the killed. and my prayers go out to them.

ZIM
06-30-2003, 07:01 PM
Yeah, people want to ban everything anyway...our sue-happy society. Anyway, don't let Gene hear you (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/35-13.html)

Again, he was diagnosed a schizophrenic- thats different. Violent tendencies do occur, but its not the rule by any means. The story said he was under meds, but was he taking them? switching them? mis-diagnosed? I'd like to know more, myself.

Shaolin-Do
06-30-2003, 07:03 PM
"Ancient samurai lived and died by the warrior code"

Gene sleeps with this playing on repeat in headphones.

:D