PDA

View Full Version : ATTN DC area KFO types!

Merryprankster
06-30-2003, 08:46 AM
How about we all get together and beat each other up on 25 July 03, at the 3rd power gym in Adams Morgan? It's a bit far off, but I thought it would give us all a chance to coordinate schedules.

I have ZERO intention of "putting this together," so to speak, because I'm lousy at organizing large events. But I thought I'd throw the date out there and see who bites. I'll be there at any rate, unless Steel tells me to get the **** out, or if they've discontinued open ring.

Oso
06-30-2003, 08:47 AM
but, I'm going to be up there thiiiiiis weekend

dangit

Jowbacca
06-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Kuoshu's that weekend.

Regardless, I'm gonna be in vegas for my college buddy's wedding.

Vegas baby.....vegas.... :cool:

Suntzu
06-30-2003, 08:54 AM
ummm… yeah… kuoshu… KFO @ Kuoshu… and watch others get beat up… errrr… I mean me get beat up…

Khun Kao Charuad
06-30-2003, 09:11 AM
Might be doable.

Email my Muay Thai distribution list. I'll verbally pass on word to my peeps to see who wants to get their heads knocked in.

What is the gyms ring use fee? I don't remember....

Khun Kao

Jowbacca
06-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Fifteen dalla if i remember correctly.

Still wish you guys would do it when I'm in town. :(

apoweyn
06-30-2003, 10:34 AM
Twelve, I think it was.

As far as I know, I'm in.

Oso
06-30-2003, 10:57 AM
I will be in Richmond this weekend with Saturday free and I'll drive up if anyone wants to beat the crap out of me:D

Shaolin-Do
06-30-2003, 11:09 AM
DC SUCKS!
:)
actually im just sad that Im down here with no one to fight.
Until WD gets here.....
:rolleyes:
:)

rogue
06-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Oso, If I can break away for the day I'll drive you up to get the crap beat out of you if you want.

red5angel
06-30-2003, 11:27 AM
Shaolin-d0, where are you in texas? I know the texan martial artist on this site are worse then locusts when it comes to numbers. Or like a bad case of the crabs anyway.

Shaolin-Do
06-30-2003, 11:30 AM
All of them are dallas ftwth, or houston, or austin.
Me and Ewallace are the only SAer here I believe.
lol... One of the students from my same kwoon came on here for a while, but the f*cker wouldnt tell me who he was. Wierdo. Oh well.

Oso
06-30-2003, 11:52 AM
rogue, that sounds like a plan, wuz going to get back to you later to see if you wanted to ride up...or we can ride around and harass unsuspecting schools all day:D

apoweyn
06-30-2003, 12:05 PM
I may have to make an emergency trip out to West Virginia. I'll let you know.

Stuart B.

Oso
06-30-2003, 12:17 PM
Ap, cool. I know it's the holiday weekend, my holiday is just taking me close. Hope it's not too great an emergency.

apoweyn
06-30-2003, 12:25 PM
Oso,

Hope it's not too great an emergency.

So do I, mate. Thanks.

Stuart

rogue
06-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Hope things work out for you Stuart. Have a safe trip.

ZhouJiaQuan
06-30-2003, 09:59 PM
hey oso check out the kung fu in richmond if you get a chance, there is some schools around. jow ga, moy yat wing chun - 300 w cary st(just saw ad in the chinese restaurant), hung ga(dont know location of that one)

wont be around saturday, jsut came back up for the day to pay some bills :(

jow ga school is the only that i give my seal of aprroval to :D

www.jowgakuen.com

peace

edit: there is wushu class in the park(byrd park at the carrilion) on saturdays i think - 1-3 pm if they havent changed schedules. good coach if your into the modern styles. have fun

Oso
07-01-2003, 04:02 AM
ZJQ, thanks. I met the wing chun guy once, if it's the same one that used to be on Main, seemed like a nice guy.

apoweyn
07-01-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by rogue
Hope things work out for you Stuart. Have a safe trip.

Thanks Rogue. I appreciate it.

Stuart

No_Know
07-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Everyone is correct.

When there January just passed the fee was $12.

Fee as of today...$15.

Ring use Fridays 6 30p.m. to 9 30p.m.

July 25, I have to check things out. But, I Am interested.

No_Know
07-02-2003, 10:21 AM
Things I hope to do:

-fight standing on one~leg

-fight from a low horse-riding stance

Ooooo

-fight blindfolded

-fight multiple opponents

apoweyn
07-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Struth. I'd settle for finding a parking space in Adams Morgan, personally.

Suntzu
07-02-2003, 12:00 PM
:D

No_Know
07-15-2003, 09:37 AM
Are MerryPrankster and Apoweyn going to Third Power gym on the twenty-fifth? When do you two go to NIH Judo Club And can someone not a member join in. Do you work with the people there? What do you two work on together there? Thank you.

apoweyn
07-15-2003, 10:34 AM
No_Know,

I'm still planning on going to Third Power on the 25th, yeah. Merryprankster too, as far as I know.

As for the NIH Judo Club, Shaolintiger is the member there. Merryprankster has been a couple of times. I've never set foot there. So I can't tell you what they work on, personally.

Are you thinking of joining us on the 25th then?

Stuart B.

Jowbacca
07-15-2003, 11:25 AM
still mad u beasterds won't wait for me to be in town...but then, i'll be in vegas.... :cool:

Merryprankster
07-15-2003, 11:28 AM
Sorry. It's one of the few Friday's I'm in town.

Shaolin studies at NIH. We mostly do some drills and then Randori. I gripfight like a crazy man and get a good sweat up because when I don't resort to shots I'm really not that good at anything but uchimata and drop seoi-nage.

apoweyn
07-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Jowbacca
still mad u beasterds won't wait for me to be in town...but then, i'll be in vegas.... :cool:

We can always plan to meet up and spar a bit on another day.

No_Know
07-15-2003, 01:35 PM
MerryPrankster when (which days do you usually go)? When do you plan to go next? Could I just show up with a camera recorder? Should I mention Shaolin studies when inquiring about going there a few times?

Merryprankster
07-16-2003, 03:48 AM
I will have to bow out of this. I come on saturday's but it's not my school to offer up, you know? You might want to talk to ShaolinTiger about this.

ShaolinTiger00
07-16-2003, 08:20 AM
No_Know,

The Saturday class is an open mat for advanced grapplers or members of the club.

If you would like to join the class you will need to come on Tues or Thursday evenings and must have a judo gi (much heavier than a karate type) or purchase one. - you cannot set foot on the mat without a gi. The membership is very reasonable for a full year. If you decide to compete in competitions, you'll also have to join usjf for an annual fee.

link (http://www.recgov.org/r&w/nihjudo/)

As someone brand new to judo, you'll have to demonstrate sound ukemi before an instructor will even let you think about randori. and that will take a few weeks combined with learning some basic throws & principles.

No_Know
07-16-2003, 09:24 AM
Apowen, I do intend to go to the Third Power Gym on the twenty-fifth of July (this month) and hope to see at least you both.

What are you all working on if you would. On what would you both Like to work?

Thank you ShaolinTiger00. Is it your understanding that I would have to Join to go to Tuesday Thursday classes? The information seemed full and helpful.

The last we spoke (posted on the same thread) dealt with hitting the mat...Perhaps I should have dropped by for to take you up on your offer to show me.-ish :-) It might have gotten me to Saturday randori quicker.

MerryPrankster what (if you can say) is Shaolin studies? You go Saturdays so (needle-and-thread), you must be considered an advanced grappler and perhaps have not joined. Or you joined and were allowed to randori.

ShaolinTiger00
07-16-2003, 09:52 AM
You do not need to become a member immediately, but if you planned on coming back on a regular (let's say more than once a month) you should join the club.

advanced student - typically at least 2 years minimum in bjj, judo sambo etc. It isn't written in stone but it's an understood rule. Sat class has no instruction (open mat) so you are expected to work on your own unsupervised and that includes randori and matwork, working on weaknesses and teaching others new techniques.

No_Know
07-16-2003, 11:11 AM
More than once a month...informational.

...unsupervised. Work on own. I might like to think that I could do that.

"...typically at least 2 years minimum in bjj, judo sambo etc...."

I basically have no credentials from a mat-based-system for any length of time. But, good to be aware.

ShaolinTiger00
07-16-2003, 11:22 AM
I basically have no credentials from a mat-based-system for any length of time. But, good to be aware.

You are affirming my suspicion that this:

I might like to think that I could do that.

Is definitely not possible.

Do you understand why? Nothing is more dangerous to other judoka than a newbie who knows nothing about ukemi, kuzushi, tsurikomi or kake. They can't fall, they don't throw properly, they don't know when to tap to save injury or they don't know when to bail out of a throw that can hurt others. Judo is hard enough on the body as it is.

Bottom line: Most beginners spaz and must be supervised and instructed to get better.

The Sat class is for the more advanced students to relax, work on exactly what they wish, randori with people of decent skill level, without the fear & restraint that working with newbies bring..

However: if you are a member of the club, and an instructor will agree to coach you for the day's practice, then you can go with his/her permission. basically they "sponsor" you. You're there to be taught proper mechanics, not randori.

apoweyn
07-16-2003, 11:22 AM
No_Know,

What are you all working on if you would.

A fistful of ibuprofen and a bottle of Coke.

On what would you both Like to work

A cat nap.

---

Seriously: Aside from conditioning, footwork and evasion. I've got good footwork, I think. But it goes to pot when I run out of gas. So, if I improve my wind, then the footwork will come. But it could always use improvement.

As for evasion, I sucked up a lot of punches last night. Some of them, I could've evaded if I were in better shape. But the fact remains that my slipping and weaving leave a lot to be desired.

Also, bridging and other ways to use the tactile feedback inherent in a grappling range to better advantage in the kickboxing range that almost always proceeds the grappling range (and for which I'm better prepared anyway).

In a nutshell, I need sparring. And much of it.

Stuart B.

ShaolinTiger00
07-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Stuart is the Capt. of the U.S.S. Correct, and sailing us thru the choppy, incoherent waters of KFO..

apoweyn
07-16-2003, 12:11 PM
Full steam ahead. :)

No_Know
07-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Must regain...ShaolinTiger's kuzushi...too much...for me...Thuddd!

"You are affirming my suspicion that this:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I might like to think that I could do that.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is definitely not possible."

I theoretically have not learned judo techniques from judo instructors in judo classes. But, Ju do, What can I say? Dy-no-MIte!

I certainly do not want to make a further study of Judo for myself. And Safety first, is not necessarily a bad thing.

Apoweyn:

May your Coke be not powdery, but fizzy. And may a Cool cat (That's you) get his cat naps.

As for bridging, wait for the attack to come. Meet it. Go tactile from there.

Bob and hair weave...get or set-up something against a back--wall. put a weighted stick--broom or older style non sponge mop on the shelf. Rest the handle where the neck meets the claviclular~. You might notice you are already in and avoid position. Shoulder level over or fore of your stomach. Keep handle in contact with neck (ball at neck base is O.K. when down). When up using lower stuff to turn your headlook across handle 45°from straight-on.

Alternate. Get thicker weightier pole repeat~. Start at end when it feels good move inward. Closer to weighted base.

I do not feel like covering more variables right now. That might would be helpful though. One might hope.

Footwork drops when steam run-out.~ Walk around a few minutes when you think to with leg weights. Lightens the step so they won't drag As much as you.

Merryprankster
07-17-2003, 02:20 AM
No_know,

I've not the foggiest idea what Ap and I will work on. It just sort of depends on who shows up and what we feel like doing. Like I said, some controlled damage is probably in order. :D

Suntzu
07-17-2003, 06:21 AM
u know what... fuk the kuoshu... i may have to come that way...

Jowbacca
07-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Happy cheat day everybody :D

Sure, I'd like to catch up with you guys the next time you work out. Kickin around the idea of Tuesdays in Herndon, but that's some bad traffic to go through; also probly not in the near future. I been so busy and got so much goin on the next few weeks, not able to see the evil Russian or go down to check out Mr Lloyd.

Suntzu
07-17-2003, 06:26 AM
Happy cheat day everybody :D oooohhhh sh!!!!ttt... it been like all week over here....:eek:

Jowbacca
07-17-2003, 06:31 AM
that's cuz yer a wussy :D

it's my first non-oatmeal, non-slimfast meal since last week's half-a$$ed attempt at fuddruckers... when i think of that unfinished burger it makes me cry...

you missed me almost gettin ktfo out last night by brandon...
here's some advice: don't "spar light" with him when you're too gassed to move.

You ever been so gassed you wanted to cry?
D@mn, I'M the one who's a wussy.

Suntzu
07-17-2003, 06:41 AM
Brandon doesn't KNOW light… he almost made me bite my tounge off once…

Jowbacca
07-17-2003, 09:54 AM
The only thing I'm mad at is that I was too gassed to defend myself. Did that "turn around and walk away" stuff after a good 30 seconds; haven't done that since like the first time I ever sparred if that tells u anything.
Julio kept reminding him, and he was trying. Really don't blame him at all. Just upset at myself. Guess that's the down side of not eating. lol

No_Know
07-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Suntzu, I would hopefully bring my Rings and show you ways they can be used~.

No_Know
07-18-2003, 04:07 PM
Point out rings (rattan hoops ~) to Suntzu. Show Apoweyn Ernie Moore Jr.'s Kung-Fu, Squirrel's Gauntlet form and some low kicking. Given the end of the last thread on KFOers meeting at the Third Power Gym, ShaolinTiger00 showing me his grasp of causing me to need breakfalls, might have been nice.

If I put it here I might recall it when I get there...if... :-)

No_Know
07-20-2003, 11:08 PM
It might have been nice to go. If, Then.

apoweyn
07-21-2003, 05:51 AM
Well, I hate to say this. But I might not be able to make it after all. For the same reason I couldn't make the last suggested date. Since I'm not trying to be mysterious about this: My wife's grandfather is dying. And there's a very real possibility that he won't survive the week. So I may have to travel this weekend.

Sorry gang. I'll let you know how things are playing out.

Stuart B.

No_Know
07-21-2003, 12:53 PM
What is the current suggested get together date?

apoweyn
07-21-2003, 01:19 PM
Friday.

unrelated
07-21-2003, 07:55 PM
I might be able to make this. It would be nice to meet some other area martial artists. What time? Is anyone willing to post directions from the Adams Morgan Metro?

Merryprankster
07-22-2003, 02:06 AM
We need a headcount before I'll commit. If only two other people are going to show, this may not be worth it for me (this go-round). Other fridays will happen! :D

Sorry guys, but if Ap's out, that pretty much leaves me, No_know, and perhaps unrelated, since Jow and Sun_Tzu seem not to be able to make this. On the other hand, if ST00 shows up....

apoweyn
07-22-2003, 06:43 AM
I'm pretty sure I'm out this time, yeah. My wife's grandfather passed away last night. We'll be travelling to the funeral and probably won't be back until the weekend.

Sorry gang.

Stuart B.

rogue
07-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Sorry for your wifes loss Ap. Take good care of her.

apoweyn
07-22-2003, 08:57 AM
Cheers Rogue. I'll do my best.

FatherDog
07-22-2003, 09:52 AM
Sorry to hear about it, ap. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

ewallace
07-22-2003, 09:55 AM
Second what FatherDog said Ap.

No_Know
07-22-2003, 11:12 AM
"(202) 483-8408 seems to be what I called to find out some stuff.

The metro stops near there are Dupont Circle And Woodly Park/Zoo.

The Connecticut Avenue side of the zoo stop you go less than a block; left on Calvert; cross a bridge; winding road; right at intersection to 18th and Columbia; go down two traffic lights; the gym is just before you get to 18th and Florida Avenue. 2007 is the street number."

I got this from the thread for last time.

Will unrelated add to the group. Does ShaolinTiger00 round off the near band of KFOers? Tune in to Saturdays post for the sure-fire results...if it gets that far.

ShaolinTiger00
07-22-2003, 11:23 AM
sorry guys.

Can't do at this time. I'm going to a Yama****a clinic.

No_Know
07-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Informative, hope it's good for you. What's the topic for that clinic?

Now with ShaolinTiger out of the picture, how will things develop. This is no joke. The forum turns its gaze to MerryPrankster in something that could be I No_Know and completely unrelated. What's next?

apoweyn
07-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Fatherdog and Ewallace,

Thanks fellas. I appreciate it.

Stuart B.

ShaolinTiger00
07-22-2003, 02:09 PM
lol @ the editing of y a m a s h i t a .

Oso
07-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Ap, my thoughts are with you and your wife.

unrelated
07-22-2003, 06:08 PM
Apoweyn,
Sorry to hear of your loss. Let me offer my condolences to you and your family.

Merryprankster
07-23-2003, 02:14 AM
I'm gonna have to bail fellas. Sorry. No offense to anybody, but there's just not enough participation for me to go this time round... I'd be skipping open mat for it...

I'll try to set one up again sometime in the future.

Cheers!

James

Khun Kao Charuad
07-23-2003, 04:21 AM
James...

I'm interested in setting up an alternate date. I did not follow this thread closely, so didn't realize you guys had set a specific date to meet. I want to get my guys in on the action, too. Also, I want to set up a sparring day between my school and Lloyds.

You're on my mailing list, so I'll keep you posted.

Brooks (Khun Kao)

Jowbacca
07-23-2003, 08:06 AM
Everyone
The 2nd or 3rd week of August (anytime after the 8th) would be best for me. Dunno what you guys got goin on; but it seems like it might be a slow time. Don't wanna see this thing drift away for another 4 months.

AP
Sorry bro, hope you guys are alright.

And on that thought.... 27 more hours till i leave for vegas....

No_Know
07-23-2003, 08:57 AM
Open mat is good. Gald to hear that you have that available to you.

Khun Kao Charuad Should look for a Friday where ShaolinTiger00, Apoweyne, MerryPrankster and Khun Kao Charuad have open. Also Jowbacca (76%--you may now blend into the lurker shadows), and Suntzu and now unrelated would try.

I might say that there were five core people as of so far on which to base meeting and why.

Apoweyn because he and MerryPrankster work together and if they can work on stuff together they should have ever advantage to have training together.

Suntzu, ShaolinTiger00, Khun Kao Charuad and MerryPrankster seem to belong to organizations that either deal with ring, mat or lei tai~ (round matish~ring no ropes).

I No _Know what unrelated does (perhaps something completely unrelated :-) ) And I whatever whatever along the lines of What I perceive to be Kung-Fu (Except for wing Chun/WingTsun and JKD techniques~).

Not having the status of formal sparring training might relegate one to not being a prime consideration for meeting.~

I recommend that the five plus Budokan be deciding factors towards if you would plan to get together and joinin the KFOers get together.

While any of us can get together, some might find more beneficial to get together with those of formal and regular training of ring/mat/lei tai that organizations can provide.

At Third Power Gym the target time is 6 15 p.m. the ring is open at 6 30 p.m. I say target time 6 15 p.m. because people tend to miss the target time mentioned on the side of late. And there is only until 8 30 p.m. when the ring is closed (I think).

Group hug and see youwhen I'm there.

Khun Kao Charuad you might pm Apoweyn about training together some...occasional sparring. Ypou two might be close enough to each other that it would be good for both of you. Private message Apoweyn. Be well.

Fridays; starts at 6 30; $15 ring fees.

Khun Kao Charuad
07-23-2003, 01:31 PM
No-Know...

Apoweyn, Merryprankster, and SunTzu have all trained with me from time-to-time. I'll also try to get Jeffro to come out. I'll make sure he knows whats up. I will talk around with my fighters or fight-hopefuls to see who is down to start making the trips out. We attempted to organize this type of things before, but only two of my guys made the trip (I was unable to).

I'm actually pretty certain that I can get a number of guys interested in doing this... I can think of about 6 people off the top of my head who are strong prospects.

I will start asking around to see who is interested in doing this. If was can form that "core group" of guys to show up and do this on a semi-weekly basis, that would ROCK!!!

Brooks (Khun Kao)

Jowbacca
07-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Khun Kao
Guess I didn't make the list. I know I had a broken arm both times, but I didn't think that invalidated my trainin down there. :p

I think the "core group" idea is good. We've only done this once; a good 6 months ago, and haven't gotten back together as a whole since.

One of these days you DC folks have to accomodate us Ballymore folks that make the drive down. Of course, we'll probly have to drive out to BFE (Virginia) to accomodate some o you. :D

Khun Kao Charuad
07-23-2003, 07:24 PM
My bad! I didn't know that was your screen name (I've been kicked in the head one too many times and forget these things) *NOW* I remember! Sorry about that...

I'm down with a roadtrip, and I'm sure I can get a group of my guys willing to do the same....

Brooks (Khun Kao)

Jowbacca
07-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Don't take me seriously :D

I just can't wait until after August 2nd 'til I can start training normal again; as well as again bein able to go on road trips.

No_Know
07-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Jowbacca, I had you in mind, if not in post.

You train, but not mat nor ring nor lei tai I thought. Although you do spar. I thought it was more forms looking than boxing looking.

That is Core group, Jowbacca, where ever unrelated goes, then No_Know.~

No_Know
07-25-2003, 06:50 AM
When saying you'll go to one of these meetings to which you intend to attend, please state if it's O.K. to video/audio record the session/meeting/gathering/event.

I am likely not bringing one This go round.

Here and there, I probabally will indicate it is O.K. with me if KFOers have the get together of KFOers (perhaps including tag-alongers) video/audio recorded.

No_Know
07-26-2003, 08:00 AM
It was good for me.

I realized that there was more at which to look than I had. I'll likely skip next meeting. There's not much more else I think for me to learn. Study what I realized from this meeting should cover a lot pretty good.

Whoever goes next get-together Enjoy :-)

apoweyn
07-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Thanks to Oso, Unrelated, and Jowbacca for the kind thoughts.

Stuart

TonyM.
07-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Peace be with you and your family Stu.

apoweyn
07-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Cheers Tony.

Stuart