PDA

View Full Version : Here's An Idea..(Sparring Related)

Shuul Vis
06-30-2003, 12:43 PM
Ok here is an idea i had about a type of sparring format. Its nothing revolutionary at first glance but could end up being pretty educational and exciting. Its your general full contact sparring allowing grappling. The only difference is that instead of you versus your opponent, its you and a partner versus 2 opponents all at the same time. Basically a 2v2 sparring format.

I think this would really demonstrate if there is any truth to the notion that grappling styles such as BJJ can fight well in a multi-opponent setting. Im only just starting to toy with the idea but what do you all think? Im sure some of you already do something similar to this but what about making it a standard? What could be some benefits of it?

red5angel
06-30-2003, 12:58 PM
Actually, I would have to say that no art is "good" at fighting in a multi-person scenario. When it comes to multiple attackers I think it really is a matter of the man and not the art for the most part.

Kristoffer
06-30-2003, 01:26 PM
I really like this idea. Imagine K1 fighters doin this. It would be a blast.

Cro Cop and The Beast VS Martin Holm and LeBanner

chen zhen
06-30-2003, 01:40 PM
It's already done in WWF (but that is, WWF:rolleyes: ), it's called tag-fighting.

But it sounds good as sparring. Like if the scenario was that u and a friend was walking in the street, and get jumped by 2 robbers or something.

Judge Pen
06-30-2003, 01:41 PM
I think its a great idea. I love multiple sparring because it changes the dynamics of the fight.

I don't think that the format you described would reveal a weakness in BJJ. If both pairs are engaged in grappling, then you will not see any weakness, nor will you see a weakness if one pair is engaged in grappling, but the other pair is too engaged in striking to care. It's when two people are grappling and a buddy can come up behind unopposed and strike the bjj practitioner, then there is a weakness. On the mythical street, you do not know who will hit you from behind when you take your opponent down to the ground.

Try your rules with 3 or more people with no allegiance and see how well grappling works.

Sho
06-30-2003, 01:50 PM
I like it too. It seems a lot more rational than the usual 1vs1 fighting when it comes to style vs style arguments. I'm not saying that this would be a more accurate way to "experiment" style efficiency, but it would really take the sense of "reality" to a new level and especially if it would be made a standard.

Suntzu
06-30-2003, 01:54 PM
:p ...it'll be MMMMA* by the 5th installment…instead of style v style…

*Multiple Man Mixed Martial Arts…

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 02:37 PM
So how would weight classes work - combined weights? Say, in the 400-425lbs class one side could be two 210 lb guys and the other side two 150 lb guys and a 125 lb gal?!!??

Or one 250 lb guy and five 50lb kids?

red5angel
06-30-2003, 03:16 PM
Or one 250 lb guy and five 50lb kids?

Now that's the kind of fight I want to see, except change the man to a 450lb man and the 5 kids to 50 lb midgets!!!

red5angel
06-30-2003, 03:16 PM
and give them all luciadore masks!!!

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Nah - to keep it equitable make it nine 50 lb midgets.

red5angel
06-30-2003, 03:20 PM
These are midgets we are talking about here they don't fight fair anyway!

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 03:22 PM
ok, ok. Nine 50 lb oompa loompas, then.

red5angel
06-30-2003, 03:31 PM
Alright, against that chick that swelled up and turned blue during the factory tour and your on!

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 03:33 PM
Veruca Salt, her name was (my brain is a vast wasteland...)

norther practitioner
06-30-2003, 03:36 PM
This thread is starting to get a bit disturbing.. oh wait, most of them do.

red5angel
06-30-2003, 03:36 PM
THAT's RIGHT!!! Wasn't she named after that girl band?!

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2003, 03:43 PM
The other way around, Red. But something tells me you knew that.

red5angel
06-30-2003, 03:43 PM
;)

norther practitioner
06-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Other way around... thats an old story....

Biography for
Julie Dawn Cole

Page 10 of 14

Trivia
The band Veruca Salt took it's name from the character that she portrayed in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where are they now
(January 2002) Married with two children, Holly, 12, and Barnaby, 8. Julie operates Centrestage, a children's drama school outside of London.

Laughing Cow
06-30-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Shuul Vis
Basically a 2v2 sparring format.

It will start of as 2 1v1 fights and might go briefly into a 2v1 fight than back to 1v1.

I would prefer a format like "king of the ring" or similar, where you are given a certain amount of time to dispatch your opponent before a new one comes in.

A good MA style need to be able to deal with an opponent fast and decisively.

Just my thoughts naturally.

Knifefighter
06-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Shuul Vis
I think this would really demonstrate if there is any truth to the notion that grappling styles such as BJJ can fight well in a multi-opponent setting.

Grappling in multiple opponent situations has both up sides and down sides.

On the down side, committing to locking up with an opponent (especially on the ground) severely limits your mobility and can leave you vulnerable to attacks from your flanks by other opponents.

On the plus side, knowing how to grapple and defend takedowns can help to keep you from getting swarmed and tied up or taken to the ground by multiple opponents.

Probably the most dangerous side to grappling is when the grapplers outnumber their opponent(s). A couple of grapplers will easily swarm their opponent and take him down. Once on the ground, it is almost impossible to defend against more than one grappler, even if you are very skilled at grappling yourself. One grappler will usually work the control position, while the other one works strikes, chokes, leg breaks, and/or arm breaks.

kwaichang kaned
07-01-2003, 08:42 AM
Red
The midget and the 450lb guy?
Been done WWF got there first again.
think it was "wrestlemania 3"???
KIng kong bundy and hillbilly jim and a whole ringfull of midgets
Now that my friends is entertainment!!!!!

Oso
07-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.

original book that WWCF was based on.

great movie, won't see one like it in today's PC world...imagine, children actually being punished for thier bad behavior:rolleyes:

knifefighter, you bring us back around to the point that you have to do both: strike and grapple to fight efficiently.

kwaichang kaned
07-02-2003, 02:28 AM
OH! and it was Violet Boregarde that ate the gum and blew up like a balloon.
(slinks off into a corner)