PDA

View Full Version : Sinking. That is a wrong word

Phenix
06-30-2003, 02:15 PM
As title,

People use the word " sinking" alots and more than alots.

Weight sinking to feet, breathing sinking to Dan Dien..... goes on and on.....

IMHO, I don't belive a bit of all of these.
Thus, with all these "sinkings" intructions... have you see those give these good "sinking" achieved advance level..... themself?

The Word should be "settle" not Sinking.

It is just like when one place a class of mud water in a quite place and then the dust "sinking then at the end settle " naturally.

Make that change to settle in stead of to sink ,
and one will breath great and "root" great.
Trying to "sink" ? one just push a reverse gear.

it is about settle in all condition naturally. it is not about trying to become a Woodern Dummy and SINK into the ground :D

Believe it or not.

Your turn.:D:D

kj
06-30-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Phenix
As title,

People use the word " sinking" alots and more that alots.

Weight sinking to feet, breathing sinking to Dan Dien.....

IMHO, I don't belive a bit of all of these.
Thus, with all these "sinkings" intructions... non comes achieved and advance level.....

The Word should be "settle" not Sinking. Make that change and one will breath great and "root" great. Trying to "sink" ? one just push a reverse gear.

Believe it or not.

Your turn.:D

Good point regarding the nuances of the words.

Still, words are just words, and I cannot say that one word is a right word and another word is wrong.

If a wrong word is used, but the right underlying idea is transmitted person to person, then the word has done its job no matter which word was used. A rose by any other name and all of that.

Sometimes we don't even need words to get the right idea across. The richest parts of communication are non-verbal. This is not merely my opinion, but what has been demonstrated through formal studies. So we are very poor in this medium. ;)

Having said that, I still enjoy dickering over words, LOL. While not averse to the word "sink," I too far prefer the word "settle" both for its connotation and its numerous implications. So I personally agree with your distinction.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

old jong
06-30-2003, 02:37 PM
I like the word...Sit!
This way,I can look at a whole class and yell SIT !...It's fun!;)

yuanfen
06-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Old Jong- did you mis-spell the word-to escape the censor?.

old jong
06-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Yuanfen!!!!!!:eek:
The result would be relative to addiing a "T" to sink!...;)

[Censored]
06-30-2003, 03:11 PM
Maybe I will put together an online translator, for "WC newspeak" -> "English":

Sink -> Settle
Heavy -> Light
Energy -> Force
Force -> Clumsiness
Root -> Height
Qi -> Yi
Yi -> "I have no idea what I'm talking about"
;)

Phenix
06-30-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by [Censored]
Maybe I will put together an online translator, for "WC newspeak" -> "English":

Sink -> Settle
Heavy -> Light
Energy -> Force
Force -> Clumsiness
Root -> Height
Qi -> Yi
Yi -> "I have no idea what I'm talking about"
;)

This simple:

Sink ---> let is naturally settle, just wait a little but not prolong it.
Heavy ---> that is the feeling of the opponents' should not be one's. one has to feel light
Energy ---> how much do we feel while walking in our body? we need to move our 100ib? 200lb body every steps....
Force --> local tensing
Qi --> smooth in breathing and motion
Yi--> attention and intention.

Phenix
06-30-2003, 07:15 PM
KJ,

hahahaha,
Certainly, I am trying to stir my english up:D

But seriously, translation is a problem. especially, when the sifu though and we don't experience it or totally understood.

Like in the drive in, one order 3 coke and 2 pop corn. and we always has to make sure it is not 2 coke and 3 pop corn. those type of communication......

Chinese to chinese communication has been a problem since you see different of version of teaching..... Chinese to English even worst. but the only communication can close the gap is the Drive In style of repeating and feed back.....

Grendel
06-30-2003, 08:29 PM
KJ,

hahahaha,
Certainly, I am trying to stir my english up:D

But seriously, translation is a problem. especially, when the sifu though and we don't experience it or totally understood.

Like in the drive in, one order 3 coke and 2 pop corn. and we always has to make sure it is not 2 coke and 3 pop corn. those type of communication......

Chinese to chinese communication has been a problem since you see different of version of teaching..... Chinese to English even worst. but the only communication can close the gap is the Drive In style of repeating and feed back.....
May I have fries with that? :p

You're right. On the Internet, communication is difficult, but even with feedback, can we be sure that we're talking about the same kind of Coke and popcorn? :D

How do you train to be "light" as opposed to heavy? Is it never correct in your opinion to be substantial in one's horse?

Regards,

Phenix
06-30-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Grendel

How do you train to be "light" as opposed to heavy?
Regards,

When we walk is it light or heavy? or just walk? :D

whippinghand1
06-30-2003, 10:46 PM
It is just like when one place a class of mud water in a quite place and then the dust "sinking then at the end settle " naturally.For application purposes often "settling" is not enough.

it is not about trying to become a Woodern Dummy and SINK into the ground. Believe it or not. Sometimes it is. Believe it or not.

Phenix
06-30-2003, 11:29 PM
For application purposes often "settling" is not enough.

without even achieve settling. the rest is day dreaming.---HS

Sometimes it is. Believe it or not.

Certainly, that will become hard bow and no longer agile WCK. In additional, after 40 years old check up to see if the heart still function properly if training this way. doesn't matter about believe, no health no advance martial art. try it and see.. --Hs

KPM
07-01-2003, 03:35 AM
Hendrik wrote:

The Word should be "settle" not Sinking.
It is just like when one place a class of mud water in a quite place and then the dust "sinking then at the end settle " naturally.

---I see what you are saying. But IMHO "sink" is a more generic term that would emcompass what you mean by the word "settle." "Settle" seems to imply a more passive activity, whereas "sink" can be either passive or active. Actively dropping the weight by bending the knees in order to apply a downward force is "sinking", but I don't think "settle" quite describes the activity properly.

Keith

whippinghand1
07-01-2003, 06:10 AM
Certainly, that will become hard bow and no longer agile WCK. WCK no need be agile all time.

In additional, after 40 years old check up to see if the heart still function properly if training this way. doesn't matter about believe, no health no advance martial art. try it and see.. --Hs Training what way....? Sorry not sure what you're saying here.

Alpha Dog
07-01-2003, 06:15 AM
Chinese to chinese communication has been a problem since you see different of version of teaching..... Chinese to English even worst.

And English to English the worstest!!

yuanfen
07-01-2003, 08:26 AM
Alpha Dog-

English to English-
my rite of passage thru Okie land was a hilarious experience.

In any case an abbreviated Okie joke-best told by an Okie-not me...

A midwestern guy's car breaks down on an Oklahoma country road and he sees a cowboy in his rocking chair on his porch on his ranch accross the road. So the traveller walks up and asks the guy on the porch
say mister you wouldnt have a monkey wrench would you..
Nah- the okie replies indignantly- them are my grandchillun

(It gets worse accross the Red River!! And if you are ever in Nacagdoches...they mean well when they wish you a good die))

blouse?

Alpha Dog
07-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Ascot!

yuanfen
07-01-2003, 08:41 AM
Topi (not toupee)

Alpha Dog
07-01-2003, 08:47 AM
Kufi? That is goofy.

yuanfen
07-01-2003, 08:53 AM
Si, sombrero

Phenix
07-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by KPM
Hendrik wrote:

---I see what you are saying. But IMHO "sink" is a more generic term that would emcompass what you mean by the word "settle." "Settle" seems to imply a more passive activity, whereas "sink" can be either passive or active.

Actively dropping the weight by bending the knees in order to apply a downward force is "sinking", but I don't think "settle" quite describes the activity properly.

Keith

Keith,

IMHO,
THe key of all these all things is about understanding the passive and being with passive before "active", and "active" is in Yee not in Qi.

If it is not in this path then it becomes "un-nature" and always need to compensate for one's excessive momentum..... general speaking.

Why do one wants to dropping the weight to apply a downward force to one own self? in addition, if this downward force is not settle. Then, it will bounce up. and that time one has a difficult time to compensate it.....

However, if it is about the application "sinking" the opponent. that is a different "sinking".
Check it out .

Phenix
07-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by whippinghand1
WCK no need be agile all time.

Training what way....? Sorry not sure what you're saying here.

IF WCK is not flow and agile water like . Then, it must be something else.

Training like a wooden dummy with a brutal force, . punching the wall bag without knowing how to compensate for the re action force.....use all force like those in the Shaw's brothers movie...