PDA

View Full Version : Let me get your Opinion.

Laughing Cow
06-30-2003, 04:24 PM
Hi All.

Since time immemorial the old questios of Forms vs sparring keeps to crop up.

How many of you do Solo movement training and try to connect different movements from the form/s in a new sequence.

Personally, I like solo movement training as it allows my body to learn the movements better than during forms training.

It has also taught me how to apply the principles and other stuff from my current TJQ style to my older one and allows me to see the mods my previous Sifu did to the style and why.

Forms are good, sparring is good, but I think a lot can be learned from Solo movement practice.

Cheers.

Becca
06-30-2003, 04:39 PM
I sometimes like to pick apart my forms and reasemble them differently to deal with different senarios. I sthat whay you me?

Laughing Cow
06-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Becca
I sometimes like to pick apart my forms and reasemble them differently to deal with different senarios. I sthat whay you me?

Yes, that is what I mean.

As well as taking a single tech and working it over and over.

Becca
06-30-2003, 04:53 PM
:D That's one of the fun parts of sparring at my kwoon. You never know what You'll get. One guy is very taken with the double punch used in section six of Chinese Soft Fist. Another likes the leaps found in monkey. I personally like to experiment with palm strikes and kick comimations. I guess all of this would constitute taking one technique and working it very well.

ZIM
06-30-2003, 06:36 PM
I do that. Footwork drills, palm work mostly. Sometimes just drill one technique or stance shift til I'm tired of it.

I guess all of this would constitute taking one technique and working it very well. Do you do deficit training or 'best' technique training? I mean, I'm fairly ggod with palms forearm strikes and low kicks, so I work to get good with those- to get to the point where i can defend myself with skill fastest. I figure I can fill in the gaps later. Other ppl are like 'i can do those, so i'll work on stuff i can't do that well'. I wonder if thats just a recipe for mediocrity?? Or Maybe that has more to do with belt-oriented systems' requirements?

Shaolinlueb
06-30-2003, 06:43 PM
you should always know the application of your strikes when performing a form. 2 people sets are okay to me. I love to practice basics and single person forms. I am not much of a san-chou (sp?, sorry) type person.

Shaolin-Do
06-30-2003, 06:47 PM
I like doing forms solo with weights on. Or full speed chin na applications.

Shaolinlueb
06-30-2003, 06:49 PM
i haven't done chin na or any of my eagle claw stuff in a long time. :( THat stuff was great I have to get back into it.

Shaolin-Do
06-30-2003, 07:04 PM
Shaolinlueb-
Check your private messages.

Becca
06-30-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by ZIM
Do you do deficit training or 'best' technique training?

Depends on what I'm trying to achieve. if it is close to rake-test, then I train deficit. The rest of the time, I train best technique. I agree that everything else will fall into place. It's not good to rely soally on only a hand full of techs, but being just so-so on everything can get you hurt.

Judge Pen
07-01-2003, 06:35 AM
My sifu tells us to pick a form and work it up for the next week. We then spar using only techniques that are present in that form. Nice way to learn how to use your forms when fighting and break some sparring habits we can fall into. Picking different forms forces you outside of your comfort zone.

No_Know
07-01-2003, 07:59 AM
"How many of you do Solo movement training and try to connect different movements from the form/s in a new sequence."

I might do this, but only to improve my forms.

"Personally, I like solo movement training as it allows my body to learn the movements better than during forms training."

-ish. There might be more going on than you notice. Its not about the technique-ish. The real person might have tolerance for your Power and then you need something else--the next technique in the form.~

I think that the form is for training doing techniques that can suceed or set-up for a next group of techniques. So form training seems to me to be training for fight situations, of not stopping with nor depending upon one technique and teaching you muscle memory strategy different strategies in different parts of a form.

People might critique that you can't do a form for a one on on fight because it won't match the form necessarily. What seems to be not realized is that a form is for fighting multiple opponents. And therefore there are strategies for different situations. As a one on one only requires a few moves it's not the Whole form. But one can fight different opponents and different techniques with the various sections of a form.

Different forms expand your potential competancy at handling more techniques against you and different opponents.~

fidon
07-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Yeah, i train the form then practice the single hand techniques to get the correct movements and to produce the energy properly, and from there the jongs are then played using the understanding from the energy produced from the form and single hand techniques.

monkey mind
07-01-2003, 08:09 AM
In my Soon Quan training we don't do forms at all but we do lots of solo movement training. Usually this starts out with 1 of 3 footwork drills - circle walking, walking the cross, or 4 corner stepping. Then we add in various hand & foot techniques. While I miss the forms training for its meditative aspect, I think that for me the more free form movement training is more practical/effective.

Shaolinlueb
07-01-2003, 09:46 AM
when you do a from you should pretend your fighting the people. but really you are fighting yourself to make all the energy right if you were fighting someone. There are many great ways to train forms. Now if I could only do self defense like I do forms.