PDA

View Full Version : Loss of skills:Time to dust off the white belt.

rogue
06-30-2003, 08:33 PM
After a long layoff and several fits and starts I've started to finally get serious about training again and I am losing ground rather than gaining. My kata sux, my kicks sux(bye bye side kick), my strikes sux and during sparring I was moving like a pregnent yak.
I'm thinking about going light and working on each part and see how that goes. **** is this frustrating. Just ranting.:mad:

Serpent
06-30-2003, 08:40 PM
There's an easy answer here, Rogue.

Get online and buy your soke-ship in Pregnant Yak Kung Fu and you're set. Grandmaster once again!

rogue
06-30-2003, 08:45 PM
I'll become the Soke of Whiner Ryu karate do.

And I screwed up my shoulder, my knee is hosed and I'm sleeping lousy.:mad:

Surferdude
06-30-2003, 08:50 PM
Just take it easy at first... If you start doin stuff full speed without proper technique then your really gonna get f*cked up

Laughing Cow
06-30-2003, 08:52 PM
Work the basics for now and ease into the training.

rogue
06-30-2003, 08:59 PM
You're all right, it just stinks having the brain know what to do and the body is just not connected. I'm going to pass on sparring until everything else comes back on-line. I'm thinking kata and bag work.

Black Jack
06-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Yea,

I have a pinched nerve in my back. Hurts like living hell, pain of about an 7 or 8 on the richter scale, and it made me sit out of a whole hour of training last Saturday. I hate to sit out on any kind of training period but I did wait and force myself through the hour part of class dedicated to the simbat/stick.

No way in hell am I going to miss weapons. Paying for it now though.

Go slow. Your attributes will come back. Hit some weights to decrease your waiting time.

Cheers

rogue
06-30-2003, 09:11 PM
The weights are the only thing going in a positive direction. I've just moved from machines to free weights for most of my upper body, still on leg machines because of a bad back.
The "non-lethal" self defense training is coming along but I still need a lot of practice to make the stuff work full speed against a resisting person.

I think I'm rushing trying to get everything back. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Judge Pen
07-01-2003, 06:30 AM
Rouge,

I've been in your shoes. I took 5 years off. Started to work up my forms and majorly tore my hammie for trying to do too much. Took another 6 months off and found some good work out partners. We concentrated on conditioning and fighting. Put on pads and went about 75 to 90% full contact. Did that for about a year and got my reflexes and instincts honed a bit more. Only then did I start back to a formal class and start working my forms up again.

Things have changed. I'm still not as flexible as I was before I stopped training. My side kicks, hook kicks, and roundhouses aren't as fast and I don't have the full range I once had, but I work better within my limitations and am a better fighter. It's a trade-off and a slow and frusterating process. Just keep at it.

Jp

bodhitree
07-01-2003, 06:38 AM
Pregnant Yaks move beautifully!!;) ;) ;)

fidon
07-01-2003, 07:28 AM
Yeah, just start back slowly again and then work back up after a couple of months back in training, i remember when i took a year or so of, when i came back i had the basic outline of everything but it seriously lacked the proper energy or technique, my conditioning also went down the drain pretty much, but i think i'm back to standard now though.

red5angel
07-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Hey Rogue I understand man, I just started a new art and right now it just feels like I am not catching on like I should. I wouldn't sweat it though brother, like you said man, take it slow and don't rush it. What's the hurry really?

Oso
07-01-2003, 07:38 AM
here, here...1 1/2 years of no sparring is what prompted me to find a school to go train at down here. but, I still need to get back to doing regular bag work as well. I used to do a kicking workout once a week, every kick in the repertoire for a total of 2 hours or so...need to do that again every week.

it'll come back dude, just don't push it too fast, but you know this.

dezhen2001
07-01-2003, 08:23 AM
i hate it when you have a case of *head knows what to do, body has forgotten*... im suffering that right now as well :( i remember the good old days when i could stand in horse for 10 mins or do a 1 hour Siu Lim Tao or whatever, but now cant even do 1/2 that :(

Rogue - we both need a grand-googly soke ship :D

it'll come back, just takes time which is frustrating. I got hit enough times mucking around in Sydney when i shouldnt have to know that :)

dawood

sticky fingers
07-01-2003, 08:31 AM
The yak is slow but the earth is patient ...

fa_jing
07-01-2003, 08:39 AM
Seeing the virtue of punching over kicking, eh? :) Work on your footwork, jump rope for 3 x 3 minute rounds, work up to more. Glide in, glide out, triangulate, jam or go around his leg, wait for him to misfire, etc. Use your old-head savvyness to win with wits over althleticism.

David Jamieson
07-01-2003, 09:25 AM
use it or lose it buddy, that's how it goes. :D

Now stretch ya lazy bastage!

:D
cheers

Shaolinlueb
07-01-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow
Work the basics for now and ease into the training.

werd man work the basics through and through. then do advanced basics, then work on combining them. and like another said, take it off slow if you haven't done it in a long time.

Royal Dragon
07-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Hey man, I feel for Ya. I had a major physical "Event" about two years ago, and I STLL am not back yet. Right now, I am physically about half of what I was at 28 at best, and less than that in cetain areas. Like holding, I was rock solid in any posture for 10 minutes, now one minute is about all I can do like that. However, I can blow out 1000 front snap kicks in less than 20 minutes still (Go figure). I can do about 1200 total before I run out of gass. My record was 1800 in 40 minutes though, so I still have work to do in the endurance department. My flexibilty is probably the best though, it's back to a good 80% of my best in most areas.

As sad as I am now, you should have seen me a year ago. I've made tremendious stride in regaining my game. So at least I can see it all comming back eventually.

Black Jack,
A pinched nerve in the back means herniated disks. The center of the disk buldges throug the herniation, and pinches the nerv. This is what I have. I doubt yours is a s bad as mine, but I bet my basic therapry exercises I do might help you.

Try this routine:

1. Lay on your tummy, and extend your arms like "Super Man" flying. Now, lift your right arm up, and your left leg, hold for a 3 count and switch. Do 50 reps (If you can't do 50 reps, your back is really weak and you need to put alot of concentration on this exercise).

2. When you are done with that, lift both the arms, and legs off the ground so you are arched up and balancing on your tummy. Squeeze the back muscles when you do this and attempt to get as much arch as you can. Hold this as close to 2 minutes as you can.

3. Lay flat and arch up as close to 50 times as you can with the same rythum as if doing crunchies.

4. Hold the arch again, and rock back and forth as close to 50 times as you can.

5. Roll over, lay on your back, and arch up so your butt is off the ground, but your shoulders are flat on the ground. Extend one leg out forward and squeez your knees together. Hold 10 seconds, and repeat for 10 reps. Switch and do the other side. Allways do this one as the last exercise of the routine. I don't know why, but my back theripist seemed to think it was important to end my routine with this one, and I'm not arguing with him.

This routine will not only help push the disk back in place, thus reliving the pain of the pinched nerve, it will also help build the back muscles up. The added support will help keep the disk from buldging again in the firstplace.

Stay away for anything that compresses the spine, like lifting weights above your head wile standing, or sitting. Motions like this will compress the spine, and buldge the disk, thus pinching the nerve.

Trust me on this, build you back so it looks like a body builder who's done too many steriods. You want to keep the injury small, don't let it get really bad like mine did.

Shuul Vis
07-01-2003, 10:45 AM
Rogue,
Do what i do when faced with something overly challenging and strenuous.....give up and pretend you did it.

dezhen2001
07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
invent your own style :D

dawood

Black Jack
07-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks Royal I will work with those untell I go back to the gym and still continue to do them since these are specific on pushing the disk back in.

My upper back is pretty solid and thick but this is in my dead lower which I often neglect. The pain is still their but I feel it lowering though I still can not yet touch my toes at a ballistic speed. Though the spasms are going away and some mobility is coming back day by day.

I did not get it from weight lifting or martial arts. You would laugh if I told you were I was sitting when I first felt it when I got up. In the bathroom.

I am just going to rest for two weeks and do some therapy to push the disk back in. I hardly doubt mine is close as bad as yours. Yours sounded like a very serious hit.

Last thing I want is to heal then go back to class in two weeks and get messed up again.

Cheers.

dezhen2001
07-01-2003, 02:33 PM
hope you mend soon Royal D and Black Jack :)

dawood

Royal Dragon
07-01-2003, 04:26 PM
I'll be fine, Thanks. Infact, i'm already close to halfway back. In fact, if I can maintian my currrent training scedual, I'll be ready to be pick'n fights again next summer (if al goes well).

Oh, Black Jack, don't go balistically touching your toes, that makes the disk buldge out more. Arching backwards drives it back in. Either way, go easy. If you want to stretch your hams, lay on your back, keep one leg down flat, and pull the other to your shoulder. This keeps the spine straight, but still allows the hams to stretch. It takes twice as long, becasue you can only work one at a time, but it's not going to buldge the disk that way.

Shaolin-Do
07-01-2003, 08:44 PM
I took 2 years off of training... came back and popped my knee out of socket. didnt know arthritis had gotten that bad, and my knee had gotten that weak.
Is quite a bit better now however. Shoulder is feeling better, can get thrown on it now, but not too hard.

SevenStar
07-01-2003, 11:28 PM
Hang in there Rogue. The easiest way to get back to where you were is to keep training. It will come slowly, but it will come. I wouldn't completely nix sparring - that will only drive it further into the abyss... Go at it lightly once or twice a week, just to get back in the groove.