PDA

View Full Version : Does your system

bodhitree
07-01-2003, 06:31 AM
Does your martial arts system use any TCM training? Herbs for iron palm, health or anything else. Just curious, thanks.

Jack Squat
07-02-2003, 04:36 AM
Bodhitree

Yes, the system I am in uses extensively uses TCM. Herbs are used (and MUST be used) for iron palm. In addition, IMHO, a kung fu stylist will never reach their full potential without supplimenting their training with herbs. Why? Many reasons-first the physical demands placed on the serious KF student simply require more than just basic "four food groups" nutrition. Secondly, anyone who trains for any length of time will encounter injuries (a by-product of any serious atheletic endeavor). To expidite recovery time (and in some cases, prevent long-term damage), herbs and acupuncture are required. Third, Kung Fu and qigong go hand in hand. Most external styles still have internal sets. In order to maximize internal power, herbal supplimentation is necessary. The herbs can make even a weaker person (a "four cylinder") go to a stronger person ("fuel injected, turbo charged four cylinder").

And finally, the principles of TCM (yin yang theory and acupuncture meridians) are the basis and foundation of kung fu. The earliest sets done by DaMo were based on TCM. The thoeries behind tension sets (Hung Gar's Iron Wire for example)and health enhancement sets are all based on TCM, and in application, it's all anatomy and meridians. Every KF stylist should be familiar with the meridian channels, as the application of the art is based on them. Even if you don't know TCM, if you had a good KF teacher, you know more about it than you think. The forms are keys to "pressure point fighting" so start by thinking about the application of the movements and then look on AP charts to analzye the meridians which are being attacked. Later dive into the theory and determine why certain points are chosen and what they do.

Good luck

Jack

bodhitree
07-02-2003, 05:01 AM
Thank you!

chen zhen
07-03-2003, 04:43 AM
Sadly, the majority of CMA schools in the world does not do it anymore. too bad.

fidon
07-04-2003, 11:39 PM
Yeah, i think in my system once master level is attained then some kind of training probably similar to iron palm training occurs where the person then proceeds to soak their hands into a tub of herbal liniment, i think i heard something about "1000 spirits" or something.

bodhitree
07-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Sadly, the majority of CMA schools in the world does not do it anymore. too bad. Chen Zhen

It is sad that these key componets to the arts are being lost.