PDA

View Full Version : Quick Team Trials Recap…

Suntzu
07-01-2003, 06:59 AM
No BS politics comming from me... good fights tho… off the dome…

William Chen's grand-daughter(?) vs Sheila Gallagher(I think, correct me if I'm wrong, its STILL earlly)>>> Tiffany has good leg kicks, bad stamina and on occasion fights like you would think a Tai Chi chick would… SLOOOOOWW… and she lacks a bit on the throws… but she looks good in black tightsMax... don't kill me :( ... win Chen

Kelly vs Von(USH)>>> good technical fight coming from the little females… soild combinations from each… solid defense… good throw defenses… made some of the dudes look like a bunch of slap happy biotches… but the USH machine-like offense was a little too much for Miss Kelly... win Von...

Cute medic that checked our blood-pressure at registration(Boston) vs Jenna(USH)… it was a demo… Jenna flows very well and her experience showed… and again… USH fighter are machine like with there combos… they fire like 7 a a time… MAN I wish I could remember the other chicks name... they only went for a round...

on to the fellas…

Mike Norman(Boston) vs Jose(USH)>>> this is the same Jose that kicked my azz twice… so I was rooting for him… that's my Dawg… anyway… I could tell Jose respected Mike b'cuz he didn't come out and try and run him over… like he did me… and his stamina seem ... well sh!tty... Mike displayed a nice sidekick that Boston is know for and good HIGH altitude throws... and this one AMAZING combo that i will try hard to duplicate... he kicked his lg out on turn to throw while Jose was balanced on 1 leg... amazing live and on film... win Mike...

BRB...

Suntzu
07-01-2003, 07:12 AM
Max Chen vs Gillet(sp?) Luc>>> Luc is the dude that dropped me on my head… but I didn't tell yall that b4… but now you know… short fight… they went off the platform and Luc hurt his knee… win Max…

Melvin(MMA guy) vs Russel(Oakland)>>> it was an OK fight… Jon fought Melvin before… they had a war… this was also a war… Melvin is the King of fighting when visibly on an empty tank… win Melvin( I think )

James(USH) vs Brian(Oakland)>>> HULK SMASH is how I discribe Brian… and James was very agile for a MMA/San Shou guy… all tho I don’t remember him having the rapid fire combos that the other USH fighter posses… but he is a bigger dude… the hi-lite had to be Cung Le "YES!!!" and double bicep pose when James won... i guess it Oakland and USH's long back and forth relationship *shrug*...

BRB...

Suntzu
07-01-2003, 07:16 AM
Pat Barry vs FU(K I cant remember is name(Calvin Chin)… they fought before… stoppage… this fight stoppage… you have to be leary of a fight that starts out with a hug… and as a fighter when the other guy hugs you BEFORE the fight… that has to freak you out... especially after he whupped yo azz b4... but a few minutes... a high kick and a hook later... it was over... win Pat...

SanShou Guru
07-01-2003, 07:31 AM
"Cute medic that checked our blood-pressure at registration(Boston) vs Jenna(USH)… it was a demo… Jenna flows very well and her experience showed… and again… USH fighter are machine like with there combos… they fire like 7 a a time… MAN I wish I could remember the other chicks name... they only went for a round..."

Her name is Susie Paschkewitz 2002 USWU National Champion and Arnold Classic Champion. They made them fight because they were unopposed so they just spared for a round.

"Melvin(MMA guy) vs Russel(Oakland)>>> it was an OK fight… Jon fought Melvin before… they had a war… this was also a war… Melvin is the King of fighting when visibly on an empty tank… win Melvin( I think )"

Russ Middelton won. Otherwise you are more or less correct.

ShifuBinks
07-01-2003, 07:41 AM
Yeah Melvin lost but it was a good fight. At the very beginning of the fight he landed a hook and the guys knees buckled but it looked like it might have been more b/c he tripped than he was stunned. Melvin also landed a huge spin kick but this actually worked against him because it helped the other guy get him off of the platform. I had Melvin winning the second round b/c he tried a scissors and he did bring the guy down to one knee so I thought they should give him 3 points for that. As for Tiffany Chen's fight, I will be honest, I saw very little technique. In both fights, it looked like both fighters were pretty evenly matched and then one would get pushed off the platform and this would become a deciding factor (yeah it hurts so much to fall 1.5 feet and land standing up on those mattresses). Speaking of those mattresses they must have been pretty comfortable b/c Melvin wanted to lay there for a while near the end of the fight. Still, I thought he did good.
Oh and Sunt Zoo: the guy who fought Patrick Barry is named William Finley, I think.
Also did you see me refutation of those other cats criticisms of this tournament in that other thread? I hear what they are saying, but a lot of the cats that they said were not going to be fighting WERE fighting, and there were definitely some good fighters there.

Suntzu
07-01-2003, 07:43 AM
thanks Coach… it's still early and I'm dead tired… so the grey matter isn't 100% yet…
and Susie's got a mean sidekick…

lkfmdc
07-01-2003, 07:45 AM
Brinks, people who don't know the background issues really should keep their mouths shut...

<b>Shawn Liu’s USASKF National Tournament</b><br>
Reported by various participants at the event<p>

The reality of this event was that there was nothing “national” about it. It was local, poorly organized, and poorly attended. The so-called “national” tournament competition had around 30 competitors, and <b>NONE</b> from the established programs. Compare that to the Arnold Classic which had over 150 competitors including representatives of all of the original “Big 6”. The reality was that if Shawn Liu had not conspired with USA WKF president Anthony Goh to have the US national team trials at the event, <b>NONE</b> of the major programs would have attended at all. The coaches had protested prior, resented Anthony Goh’s final decision, and the result was a total lack of support for all the other aspects of the event.<P>

We really hope that no one who won this event considers themselves “national champions”. They are in for a very unfortunate reality check when they step onto a Lei Tai or into a ring with the real national champions.<P>

Once again, the so-called “Professional fights” Shawn Liu offers left a lot to be desired. Putting amateurs with little experience in no gear so they look “professional” and offering up titles to them is exactly what is wrong with the sport of Kickboxing and San Shou. Faced with a total lack of participation from the traditional “Big 6” programs, this card featured two matches in which people who had never fought San Shou faced experienced champions from Brazil among other amusing things! Additionally, had the Brazilian team not shown up there would have only been <b>TWO</b> fights.<P>

The so-called “main event”<P>

Andre Assis (Brazil) <br>
vs.<br>
Jason Miller (USA)<P>
The first fight of the night began with a throw at 8 seconds that <b>BROKE</b> the ring. The audience jeered as the matches had to be moved to the Lei Tai platform after a huge delay. The Brazilian, with vast San Shou experience, secured an easy decision win.<P>

Ruslan Adryuschenko (European Champion)<br>
Vs.<br>
Unidentified local MMA fighter (?)<p>
These fights were all supposed to be under professional rules with knees and no equipment, yet the unidentified MMA fighter insisted on no knees and began the match with shin guards on. Why would a supposedly professional MMA fighter not want knees and be fighting in shin guards? We don’t know. More importantly, we also don’t understand why Shawn Liu then found it necessary to stop the match in the middle of the first round and insist that Ruslan wear shin guards as well. But wait, it only gets better folks<P>

Ruslan’s corner complained. They noted, <b>CORRECTLY</b> that wearing shin guards was not in the contract. How did Shawn Liu, supposedly the president of the federation and the coach of the US team, respond? Shawn Liu had security remove the corner man from the building. Yeah, real professional. It didn’t matter, won by 1st round KO.<P>

Eduardo Fujihara (Brazil)<br>
Vs<br>
Unidentified local MMA fighter (?)<P>

For those who don’t know, Eduardo Fujihara is one of the most dangerous San Shou fighters on the planet. He has won world championships both in San Shou and Lei Tai (which features bare knuckles, elbows and knees). Have we mentioned that he is also undefeated in Vale Tudo in Brazil? So we can’t help but ask why he as matched up with a man who admitted that it was his first stand up fight? NO surprise here, Fujihara by 2nd rd TKO<P>

Patrick Barry (USA)<br>
vs.<br>
Paul Gurevidius (European Champion)<p>
The final match of the night was the only one that at least made some sense to it. Patrick Barry by 2nd rd KO.<P>

More on the team trials as we receive it. But the big question is that they ended up with <b>SIX</b> winners and didn’t pick the final A team (which is five people) on the site. How the final team is chosen could raise more questions.<P>

Suntzu
07-01-2003, 07:46 AM
like i said... i don't deal in the politics... *shrug*

ShifuBinks
07-01-2003, 09:11 AM
I always keep my mouth shut when I type