PDA

View Full Version : OT ATTN: Oso

red5angel
07-01-2003, 08:02 AM
Hey man, do you read any fantasy? Have you read any Tad Williams?

Oso
07-01-2003, 03:13 PM
could not get through the first couple of chapters of 'dragonbone chair' or whatever the first one was. dunno, just didn't click with me.

reading "March Upcountry" and "March to the Sea" now by Weber/Ringo. Pretty good stuff, nothing major. You military types would like David Weber and John Ringo. Here's Bean's page for Ringo.

The series that starts with "A Hymn Before Battle" is excellent. Especially for us Richmond/Northern VA guys as several battles take place there.

quiet man
07-02-2003, 04:38 AM
"Memory, Sorrow & Thorn" is a fine series (even if it is a Tolkien-ripoff), but he completely messed the end up. Shame, really.

Mr Punch
07-02-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
Hey man, do you read any fantasy? only on KFO forums...! :rolleyes:

Oso
07-02-2003, 05:13 AM
QM, I'd heard that as well. I think at the time it came off as just another usual fantasy story. Nothing different about it. I've almost completely stopped reading fantasy these days.

quiet man
07-02-2003, 05:16 AM
I suggest you try George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" - that's what I call ADULT fantasy (by that I don't mean it's sexually explicit or anything 'cheap' like that - it's just strong and mature).

Oso
07-02-2003, 05:42 AM
understood what 'adult' meant in this case...

yea, I've looked at that several times.

I started out old school, hard sci-fi, went through fantasy a lot while playing D&D, now kinda mostly back into sci-fi, especially military sci-fi.

red5angel
07-02-2003, 03:06 PM
Oso, I completely understand. Although I am enjoying his books at the moment I wanted to rant about something that I am noticing, the whole fantasy theme about all races but humans dying out. I don't know why but it is starting to get redundant.

However, I barely read fantasy either, most of it is carbon copied pretty much. If you haven't read any Tanith Lee and can get your hands on her Flat Earth series you might enjoy it. Her fantasy is a little darker then normal but her level of writing is also higher then most.

FatherDog
07-02-2003, 05:29 PM
I'd like to take this opportunity to plug Perdido Street Station. It'sa good.

joedoe
07-02-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by quiet man
I suggest you try George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" - that's what I call ADULT fantasy (by that I don't mean it's sexually explicit or anything 'cheap' like that - it's just strong and mature).

Excellent series. It does not present a fantasy world where the good people are spotless and the bad people are the epitome of evil. Blurs the lines and doesn't follow the classical storylines - main characters die unexpectedly etc. I have not gotten around to reading the 3rd book.

kungfu cowboy
07-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Any Steven Brust, especally the Vlad Taltos stuff, and Glen Cook, The Black Company series, for excellent mature fantasy.

Oso
07-02-2003, 06:11 PM
hmm, anything that features the Garuda bird should be interesting{add's it to the list}

I've looked at Brust quite a few times, just never committed to it.

I've read the first Black Company and it was good but havn't gotten around to the rest.

I've pumped this one here before but if you havn't read 'The Deed of Paksennarion' by Elizabeth Moon you are missing out on a great fantasy read. joedoe, it has some situations that question the good of good and evil of evil as well. Sadly, Ms. Moon kinda shot her wad on the trilogy and everything else she has done since is just kinda so-so.

And another oldie but goody from the early eighties 'The Gandalara Cycle' by Randall and Vickie Ann Heydron is very, very good. You will have to hit the used bookstores though as it is long out of print, but worth the search.