PDA

View Full Version : Can someone with Scoliosis do WCK?

Kuen
07-01-2003, 08:23 AM
That's a condition of the spine in which it is not "straight" but curves to the left or right. Would Wing Chun work for someone like this?

Thanks!

Sihing73
07-01-2003, 08:37 AM
Hello,

I have Scoliosis and have had back surgery a year ago for a ruptured disc. I can tell you that I am quite capable of doing Wing Chun. I do find my flexibility to be pretty poor but WC is quite applicable to someone with this condition.

However, I would imagine that a lot would depend on the severity of the condition. If one could not stand straight at all but was continually hunched over then I am sure it would be much more difficult as it would affect ones structure.

I also find that WC is actually of benefit as the stance training can help to improve ones posture if done correctly.

Peace,

Dave

donbdc
07-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Hello,
My name is Don, I am a chiropractor and I have scoliosis myself. I am 43 y.o. If any thing WCK will greatly help strengthen your postural muscles as well as train your nervous system to function. WC creates body unity, increasing your coordination.
Interestingly I heard(might be a rumor) That Bruce Lee had a short leg, probably due to scoliosis. It didn,t stop him.
donbdc@yahoo.com:D

PHILBERT
07-01-2003, 09:56 AM
I have Sherman's Kyphosis, which is similar to Scoliosis, and I do Wing Chun just fine. I've been doing it for the past year and a half no problem.

Kuen
07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Guys, thank you for your serious answers. I am going to relay this information on to my friend.

Andrew Williams
07-03-2003, 10:16 AM
Scoliosis can be structural or functional (or a lack thereof), unlike Sherman's Kyphosis which is structural.

Without proper examination one would be and should be hesitant in recommending any exercise (including WC) to those who have a scoliotic vertebral column. The discs can be placed under enormous pressure, whether the force is developed internal or external to the body. The investing musculature and related fascia likewise increase force on the vertebrae and can be affected in turn.

I would recommend that your friend seek the help and advice of a clinician that has an understanding of the particular demands of the type of WC that is going to be practiced, do this before he exposes himself to injury. If the clinician knows little of WC then perhaps you should go along and explain (in detail) what he is likely to be subject to.

Wish your friend good luck for me, I treat a few people with scoliosis, and a couple (whom has significant disabilities) compete at elite levels in various athletic endeavours.

Andrew W.

PaulH
07-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Greetings, Andrew!

I did not know that you are also a therapist! I wonder what can one do to release the excessive spinal and shoulder tension associated with left arm use. How's your school doing?

Regards,

Andrew Williams
07-04-2003, 08:07 AM
Hi Paul.

I did not know that you are also a therapist!
---have been at it for quite a while.

I wonder what can one do to release the excessive spinal and shoulder tension associated with left arm use.
---depends on the nature of the tension and the sort of use which created it. A numer of questions need be asked and answered in some detail before any treatment can be recommended, for example, is it an over-use injury, an injury due to trauma, poor patterning etc? From what I remember Paul, you seemed to have a few issues regarding posture and gait. We never got round to discussing them.

How's your school doing?
---I am teaching privately. I have struggled for years with the concept of teaching groups larger than 2 people, the blanket of control being frayed beyound that size.

Hope all is well with you Paul and thankyou for your greeting regards Andrew W.

yuanfen
07-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Andrew W. is a measure resource for bio mechanics and it's implications for wing chun.!

PaulH
07-04-2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks, Andrew. The problem seems to be just muscle imbalance from a lifetime of poor posture and gaits. I tried stretches but got very little satisfying results. Perhaps I do the wrong kind of stretches. If I only have the brain...to figure out the right ones! Wish all is well with you as well.

Indeed, I would love to chat more with you sometimes. What you write or say are always interesting and thought- provoking. Here is a food for thought. Do you know the color of the hat that you wear? I will give you some clues. White- facts, figures, objective info; Red - emotions and feelings; Black - logical negative thoughts; Yellow- positive constructive thoughts; Green - Creativity and new ideas; Blue - control of the other hats and thinking steps. Sound familiar like on personal protection?

Regards,

yuanfen
07-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Usual typo Andrew- meant major not measure.