PDA

View Full Version : Goose Palm

Skarbromantis
07-01-2003, 11:13 AM
I was thinking something along these lines, flying goose palm, in WHF, book page 25, the posture, is that a combo of Mantis and Eagle Claw?

Or is that the "FLYING GOOSE PALM"

Lets talk about this form, origin, what info does anyone have on this, history, cool stories, the way it's played, and what tec is the Goose Palm?

I have seen 2 versions of this form.

Skard1

Young Mantis
07-01-2003, 02:29 PM
Skarbromantis,

Why do you think the posture depicted on page 25 illustrates a combination of mantis and eagle claw? I don't understand what part of that movement would lead you to think that.

Have you learnt this form? If you did, I think it would be obvious which movement gives the form its namesake. It appears in the form 7 times: twice in succession in the 2nd route, thrice in succession in the third route, and twice again in the last route.

It is very difficult to explain the movement as it is flexible and the pictures do not show the transition from the beginning posture to the end posture. If you were to only look at the pictures without having someone show you the technique, it would be impossible to know how it should look much less how it is applied.

On pages 21 and 23, 37 and 39 of the book, WHF tries to show a transitional photo but even then, it doesn't do the movement justice since static photos can not show the fluidity of the technique.

It would be best to wait for your Sifu to show you rather than figure this one out on your own.

YM

Skarbromantis
07-01-2003, 04:55 PM
I know the form, to be honest I know the move, I'm bord and looking to have some conversation's on it, many have different impressions of a form, and I would like to get feedback out side of my camp like I said, I have seen 2 version's... feel me?

I'm not trying to educate myself over a form, My Sifu, teaches me, and teach's me very well at that, but when I'm board at work, and thinking of a form, why not post and get others input.

Skard1

grifter721
07-01-2003, 05:55 PM
who elses have you seen? The form has really good open palm techniques and is quick and agile. I cant remeber too much from teh WHF book though so I dunno...

Young Mantis
07-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Skarbromantis
I know the form, to be honest I know the move, I'm bord and looking to have some conversation's on it, many have different impressions of a form, and I would like to get feedback out side of my camp like I said, I have seen 2 version's... feel me?

Hey I feel you. If I remember correctly, you study with Sifu Phillipman Chow so at least we are both from the WHF lineage and our stuff should be similar. But in your first post, you asked twice which technique is the goose palm. You did not mention whether or not you know the form and so I asked for a point of reference. You did not mention you already know it and want to compare notes. You asked for info on the form and then only said you have seen 2 versions.

I'm not trying to educate myself over a form, My Sifu, teaches me, and teach's me very well at that, but when I'm board at work, and thinking of a form, why not post and get others input.

Skard1

I don't think I ever commented on the quality of instruction you get from your Sifu. In fact, I suggested you ask your Sifu about the form if you needed more information.

Now, having cleared that up, I happen to like this form very much and perform it quite often.

YM

Skarbromantis
07-01-2003, 09:30 PM
"It would be best to wait for your Sifu to show you rather than figure this one out on your own."

All I meant was My Sifu teach's me well, so I have no need to figure it out on my own, that’s all.

But thank you for the comments yes this is a great form, the reason, I ask is, I ran into a old buddy who I remembered used to train, as it turns out he studied Mantis 6 years ago, hasn’t studied since, showed me some form's, Goose Palm being one, his interpretation was very different, including what he considered the goose palm's....so I asked.... I didn't think it mattered if I knew it or not, just wondering what others are taught?

What he considered the Goose Palm, or "Flying Goose Palm" was the motion I mentioned on page 25, Why? I have no idea, like you said you can see the move clearly, also I have seen this identical posture, in an Eagle Claw form, with both hands in eagle claw, so I was just thinking here?

On a side note his Bung Bo, was the same as mine.

Thanks for the talk's...

Skard1