PDA

View Full Version : percentage of population that practice MA

LoFatGai
07-01-2003, 03:22 PM
I was wondering if anyone know of any studies that has provided an estimated percentage of population in the US that practice martial arts, and also how this number differs compared to other countries
just a bit curious as to how popular martial art is in the US
thanks~

Laughing Cow
07-01-2003, 06:23 PM
I think it will be neraly impossible to get to an exact figure.

Most stats come from organisations and associations, and will include people that pay current membership fees training or not..

Some people might belong to more than association, plus there are many fake associations out there too.

Many students practice private or with a Sifu that does not belong to an association.

Do you include people that haven't trained for some time or only people currently actively training?

Cheers.

Yung Apprentice
07-01-2003, 10:02 PM
That would be an interesting stat. But there are some hole in the wall schools, or like LC said teachers who teach privately.

lowsweep
07-06-2003, 07:50 PM
I've heard that 10% of US population has had some fighting training. I cannot be sure if this is accurate. Now, account for the people who counted tai bo, mcdojos, etc., and the people who are too obese to do any damage anyways and you have a pretty low number...

Laughing Cow
07-06-2003, 07:55 PM
There are many people that recevied some MA training, problem is that the vast majority stopped or never kept up with their training and thus should be counted as non-trained.

Example:
In my Homecountry 95% of all men received Military training, but our military only consists of a few % of the population.

Dark Knight
07-07-2003, 09:22 AM
I was at a convention once a few years ago. they said about 2% are taking classes at any given time in the US.

So 291,441,462 people x .02 = 5,828,829 people taking MA at any given time.

(Almost 6 Million people)