View Full Version : Juky 4th and Canada Day

yuanfen
07-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Happy Canada day to the Canadians
and happy fourth in the USA.

joy

PaulH
07-01-2003, 05:33 PM
Aye! Here to joy on this great continent!

Regards,

old jong
07-01-2003, 07:12 PM
To North America ;)

Phil Redmond
07-02-2003, 07:30 AM
To North America

Hmmm. . . . speaking of North America. I wonder when Mexico's Independence day is? (And it's not Cinco de Mayo)
Phil

yuanfen
07-02-2003, 07:50 AM
Phil- 16 de Septiembre---
Mexican independence celebration aginst Spain.

Cinco de Mayo is big in the US but is really less important than
16th september.

Cinco de mayo is more a celebration of a defeat of the French.

The earlier Spanish hold on Mexico was much longer than the French..((I spent quality time in Saltillo, Mexico an hour or so away from Monterrey))

BTW- India's Independence from Britain was on August 15 1947-
172 years after the American (US) Declaration of Independence.

I helped lower the Union Jack in my high school- it was a relief not having to sing... God Save Our Glorious King (now Queen).... ever again.

joy

reneritchie
07-02-2003, 09:17 AM
What does England call July 4th? What does Spain call 16 Sept? We lost them darn colonies days??

old jong
07-02-2003, 09:37 AM
I guess that's what the first of April is meant for!...;)

rubthebuddha
07-02-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by reneritchie
What does England call July 4th? What does Spain call 16 Sept? We lost them darn colonies days?? good riddance day. :o

Phil Redmond
07-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Muchisimas gracias, for the info on the 16th of September. For years I thought Cinco de Mayo was indenpendence day in Mexico. I found out maybe 5 years ago that it wasn't

yuanfen
07-02-2003, 04:32 PM
de nada, amigo

The not uncommon confusion comes from the fact that both days are called independence day by some.

The big one is the 16 de septiembre-after 300 years of Spanish rule...the movement began with the ringing of a church bell
by Father Hidalgo in 1810. Big celebrations in mexico on that day.

In Juarez if memory serves the big avenue for celebrations is even named Avenida 16 de Septiembre.

In the US the Cinco de Mayo is better known- independence from the French in their brief rule...1808-1862... even though French Revolution ideas of Liberte, equalite, fraternite etc had helped in the rising anti Spanish emotions...
the Mexicans defeated in a key battle in 1862- enough of Bonaparte's brother's "monarchy".

The the Mexicans had to deal with the US too again and again...the Alamo- followed by Santa Ana's defeat and the loss of Tejas to the US., the southwest Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo,
the loss of southern Arizona--Gadsden purchase...long story

Sometimes la vida es moy triste but they are a great people.