PDA

View Full Version : Bullwhip

nothingness
07-01-2003, 09:45 PM
I was just reading the book Exodus, and there's a small section in there about a guy fighting with a bullwhip, it sounded really cool. Just musing, but I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of anyone that teaches using the bullwhip as a weapon. I saw a website awhile ago about a guy who teaches using it, he trained Michelle Pfeiffer for the Batman II movie, I think he lives in LA. And everyone knows that no girl can resist a guy proficient with a bullwhip. It's just cool.

Shuul Vis
07-01-2003, 10:06 PM
Just look up your friendly neighborhood sado-masochist.

quiet man
07-02-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by nothingness

And everyone knows that no girl can resist a guy proficient with a bullwhip.

It works the other way around, too.

(So I've been told, that is.) :D

Judge Pen
07-02-2003, 06:00 AM
It seemed to work for Indiana Jones didn't it? Serioulsy I've toyed around with a bullwhip and actually got quite good with it, but I don't think it would be an effective weapon to fight with. Great range but someone who is really pi s s ed off can charge it. He might take a lick but that's about it.

Black Jack
07-02-2003, 07:27 AM
Your best bet would to be a filipino martial arts system which has the weapon in their training. I know that Sayoc Kali is huge into the native bullwhip and their is a instructor named Anthony Delongis who teaches the spanish rolling methods.

You can get the Anthony Delongis tapes from-

www.pointmanproductions.com

apoweyn
07-02-2003, 07:50 AM
Anthony Delongis, by the way, is the guy that trained Michelle Pfieffer. He was also a consultant, choreographer, etc. for various other productions. Highlander: The Series, for example.

Stuart B.

Former castleva
07-02-2003, 11:52 AM
Does not seem to have much practical application in real life.
Interesting facts;
Pfeiffer used the whip very little in the movie.
She was trained by Kathy Long.
Indiana Jones was great,the whip worked very well in it.
Indiana Jones helped reconstruct the image of science in the face of adventure.
I think certain western MA are more into this stuff,unfortunately i know no more.

apoweyn
07-02-2003, 11:53 AM
Kathy Long was the stunt double. Anthony Delongis was the whip instructor.

Long is predominantly a kickboxer. I don't know that she has much background with weaponry. (But I wouldn't go 10 rounds with her.)

Former castleva
07-02-2003, 11:55 AM
I know,but I´m pretty confident that it was Kathy Long who taught her to fight.

Chang Style Novice
07-02-2003, 11:58 AM
How did we go from Leon Uris to Tim Burton so quickly?

<deep, sorrowful, pretentious sigh>

apoweyn
07-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Former castleva
I know,but I´m pretty confident that it was Kathy Long who taught her to fight.

Ah. I see what you're saying. My bad. :)

Black Jack
07-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Except for knife, impact blunt weapons like a fist stick to cane, and maybe some short range flexiable weapons like chain/sarong, most traditional ma weapons are not practical for unarmed combat.

Though they are good for attribute development.

If you are talking practical add to knife, impact and maybe flexiable weapons with tactical firearm training, oc spray, taser and white light tools.

Shaolin-Do
07-02-2003, 02:09 PM
"most traditional ma weapons are not practical for unarmed combat."

unarmed = no weapons?
:confused:

Former castleva
07-02-2003, 02:52 PM
That strikes me too...
Well,I can´t argue with that. :)

Black Jack
07-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Ya know what I mean jerknuts.:D

joedoe
07-02-2003, 09:18 PM
Well, to be fair a lot of the traditional weapons that are not really practical are really war weapons. Things like kwandos and spears don't really fall into the category of personal protection and more into weapons of war. Just like you wouldn't walk around with an M16 for personal protection ;)

Black Jack
07-02-2003, 09:29 PM
True,

I still think the more unpractical martial arms can be good for attribute development and of course for sheer fun. A M16 may not be a common defensive long gun but a shotgun for home defense sure is and a legally concealed sidearm can be the option for many Americans.

Shaolin-Do
07-02-2003, 09:29 PM
Youve never seen a real redneck, have you?
I mean the ones that are inbred, and have serious mental problems. They have these big inbred redneck get togethers here, where they walk around selling military grade weapons. Called a "gun show".
Sell velcro gloves i hear....
:rolleyes:
:)

Black Jack
07-02-2003, 09:35 PM
Remeber it is their natural American birth-right Shaolin to be able as a law abiding adult to purchase those weapons and goods. This is not a endorsement of mental problems but a choice of personal purchase based on our freedoms.

Most of those weapons, if not all of them that you see at the gun shows are semi-auto only. You have to have a special grade license to purchase full-auto arms as a civilan.

joedoe
07-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Black Jack
True,

I still think the more unpractical martial arms can be good for attribute development and of course for sheer fun. A M16 may not be a common defensive long gun but a shotgun for home defense sure is and a legally concealed sidearm can be the option for many Americans.

Completely and wholeheartedly agree. :)

nothingness
07-03-2003, 09:30 AM
Incidentally, where does one purchase a bullwhip? I've never seen a store selling them. Are they expensive? At the very least, I could hang it on my wall and still get some residual chick effect.

Incidentally, Chang Style Novice, it is clear from your posts that you are one of those Austin Gen X Slacker types, a la Reality Bites (one of my all time favorite movies, by the way, and don't anyone dare speak against it!:mad: _

apoweyn
07-03-2003, 09:34 AM
I so don't want to meet the chick that would be impressed by a bullwhip hanging on the wall. But it's your world, pal.