PDA

View Full Version : Lai Ying-chau

saulauchung
07-02-2003, 02:53 AM
Hello people,

I saw the latest release of the Prodigal Son on DVD out in the UK and there were interviews with the original actors of the film. Also interviewed was Lai Ying-chau. Lai was the Wing Chun consultant for this film and pretty much takes the credit for the standard of Wing Chun in the film. Lai was one of the most senior disciples of Chiu Wan and back in the 50's and 60's, he was very famous for his street brawls. It's been said that Wong Shun-leung was famous for his 'friendly' contests whereas Lai was famous for his street fights.

Whether the above account is accurate is open to debat. However, during the interview, one is treated to his occasional displays of moves such as the bong sau, tarn dar and punches, etc. Although the displays were minimal, he clearly showed the power (or ging as some would call it) and the presence of a true master. I can say I have seen many so-called master move but were never much impressed. Lai, in his late 50's, still possesses the awe and presence of a true master.

I think Lai Ying-chau is truly amongst the last of the few.

That being said, I think the demonstration by Austin Goh had totally spoiled the DVD. I hope viewers would be not think Goh's Wing Chun is the same as Lai's!

yuanfen
07-02-2003, 05:51 AM
I would love to see the interview. I could do without seeing Goh.
BTW surely the age is not correct.
If Lai wasa a senior disciple of Jiu Wan back in the 50s- surely he is much over 50 years old. ???

dezhen2001
07-02-2003, 12:07 PM
the interview could have been made around the same time as the film which was early 80's?

i would love to get a hold of a copy - is it HK legends? :)

dawood

saulauchung
07-02-2003, 07:05 PM
All the interviews were made recently to coincide with the latest release. Sammo Hung and Frankie Chan spoke English and Yuen Biao and Lai Ying-chau spoke Cantonese (with English subtitles). There was also a biography of the late Lam Ching-ying. Yes, it is by HK Legends.

Yuanfen, I might have underestimated on the age of Lai. In the interview, he looks like in his 50's and move like a 30 year old.

The standard of Wing Chun and the kuen kuit spoken within the film is a direct measure of his Wing Chun ability.

dezhen2001
07-03-2003, 04:00 AM
definately gonna see if i can find it now, thanks!

dawood

black and blue
07-03-2003, 04:01 AM
I heard that at a recent Leung Ting WingTsun seminar a trailer was shown for Leung Ting's movie on Dr Leung Jan.

As yet, I've not heard anymore regarding the movie about Yip Man, which was to be named The Master.

:)

hunt1
07-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Yuanfen Being in his 50s might not be far off. many of Chiu Wans students seem to be in that age range. For example jason lau , who claims to be the grandmaster of Chui Wans system is in his mid 50s his older brother that started training before Jason, Richard Chen is late 50s to maybe 60. Francis Fong is early to mid 50s. He attracted many younger students. The story I heard was that he was the instructor many kids in street gangs went to as well as triad members. His school was considered neutral territory. So its not surprising that many of his students are under 60.

yuanfen
07-03-2003, 09:33 AM
Hunt !. Ok. I just wondered. Yes- I Confirm on Jason Lau- met him once.