PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin fitness

bodhitree
07-02-2003, 05:24 AM
Hey
I know Shaolin monks train in qigong, and forms ect.. What other training methods do they use (stretching, exercises, ect)? What is the first thing a beginning monk learns when first starting gong fu training? Just curious, because they are so amazing with their skill level! Thanks in advance!:)

GeneChing
07-02-2003, 09:44 AM
Most of the monks have undergone extensive training before they even become monks. That entails a curriculam of conditioning - running, basics - the dreaded jibengong. But to give a better answer to your question, I'd have to bring up the mountain. A lot of the students start by jogging the mountain daily. That really builds your endurance, leg strength and agility. The geography of Song Mountain, and perhaps the geomancy too, are a big part of it.

bodhitree
07-03-2003, 05:11 AM
Gene
thanks for the reply but what is jibengong?

GeneChing
07-03-2003, 09:33 AM
basics. line drills of basic techniques. it's akin to tan tui...

bodhitree
07-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks! Hey by anychance do you have the names of those movements? Thanks again!

Shaolinlueb
07-03-2003, 10:35 AM
i think there are just basic drills for each stance.
we do basics for a night
we have a line drill for mabu, pubu, gong bu, za bu, zie bu, sanchi bu, tse la bu, shzo bu, tzo pan. (for give my spelling on some of these. i am not good with chinese names.)

then just the basic kicks, cai jow, zang zie tui, wabi toi, lee hay tui, tan tui, seti tui (once agian im spelling finetically.)

then the jumps, double toe, single knee, spring jump, double knee, arch back, tornado jump, outward and inward cresent. theres more

there just drills for your basics.

rubthebuddha
07-03-2003, 02:05 PM
thanks lueb. anyone have a link with pictures of (most of) these exercises?

GeneChing
07-03-2003, 04:14 PM
The jibengong are not universal - you'll see a lot of variation, both in the application and the actual movements. However they are fairly consistent and Shaolinlueb named some of the major ones. It's really the key to good shaolin.

maccajim
07-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Hire or buy the Wheel of life DVD it has a doco at the end with a very general description of all the different training, stretching to hard Qi gong.

Goes from 6 year old novice to Arahat

It is very general but well worth seeing what they can do

bodhitree
07-06-2003, 01:37 PM
It my system we have basics with names like: cat washing face, choping log looking at stars, charging horse, ect. I was wondering if these were the same.

GeneChing
07-07-2003, 09:53 AM
...and many of them might be parallel to what they do at Songshan Shaolin. But what is emphasized is dependent on the individual master, so like I said, you'll see lots of variation. Basics are the heart of Kung Fu.