PDA

View Full Version : cool wudang vcd

jun_erh
07-02-2003, 02:45 PM
wudang kung fu and tai chi (http://www.cmaod.org/wudongtaichi.html)

I picked this up today. It's the first one "Demonstration of..." it has clips from the other ones. The only bagua I had seen before was emei style which was a little different. I paid 5 bucks. I also got the one of the tai chi horse tail wisk? It looks like a man doing a sword routing with a stick with a horse's tail on it. I don't understand how it is a weapon, maybe they fell on their heads from doing all that backward running.

But the 1st vcd has lots of cool stuff, some of the tai chi was just like yang chen fu style I've seen but a little differnt and with the occasional chen style foot stomp thingy. My general impression was alot of stuff somewhere between kung fu and tai chi, but favoring the latter.

Brad
07-02-2003, 08:37 PM
If you like Bagua, you should check out this video: http://www.plumpub.com/sales/bagua/kang_bgcourse1.htm

Thy have lots of interesting vcds too including the ones ya posted :)

GeneChing
07-03-2003, 09:37 AM
... I think I've visited that master's school. It's one of the private schools down the mountain. It's hard to tell from the pictures though, and the name doesn't ring a bell. He had this really cool grove of trees behind his school for bagua pole walking. What dtuck out in my mind was that the bagua pracitioners would circle walk AND strike the trees like a shaolin student or a muay thai fighter.

jun_erh
07-03-2003, 12:21 PM
It's a great thing to watch. There are quite a few forms. One is a just like yang style except he does it crouching way down. sorta duck yang. A nice breaking demonstation too. The dude has a rock, just a regular rock you'd find on the ground, about as big as you hand, very uneven. He does a little chi kung, takes him two or three hits but he breaks it. There's even some applications at the end. The horsetail staff and I are not on speaking terms at all!

What I'm looking for now is some bague staff. I understand that Wong Fei Hung and th Chin Woo association taught it. I may have misread that though.

In terms of what you said about the bagua grove. it seems that peoples sort of idea, or my idea, of what wudang is a little more narrow than what it actually is.

Shaolin Master
07-04-2003, 07:11 AM
Yes

You Xuan De is the the Head of the "Wudang Shan San Feng Wushu Yuan" at the bottom of the mountain.

I was there 3 months ago. We will be conducting annual exchanges with them.

There is another essential Daoist feature at the school. There are many others not just in Wudang Shan but in DanJiangKou City where the Wudang Research Association is also.

In addition a few miles from Wudang Mountain in the middle of the bush is another beauty. Hubei province in Fact has many places of interesting and rare martial practise. From Yumen in Sha Shi to Yue Jia in HuangMei.

Wudang martial arts have a deep and often complicated theory of practise to what often seems simple external presentation.