PDA

View Full Version : good wing chun instructional videos?

ascan
07-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Can anyone recommend some good wing chun instructional videos? Having 2 kids(a 1-month old and a 2-year old) and a job in hectic New York City doesn't leave me time to take classes and I would really like to learn.

I heard that Augustine Fong's videos are quite good.

Thanks.

KPM
07-04-2003, 04:43 AM
Scan back to 2 or 3 days ago and you will see my recommendation. And yes.....Augustine Fong's videos are very good.

Keith

kungfu cowboy
07-04-2003, 05:00 AM
Here (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/HowtoMakeFunnyHomeVideos-1031882/preview.php) is a video I highly recommend.

IronFist
07-06-2003, 04:24 PM
I don't recommend Fong's videos. I've seen 4 or 5 of them and I don't think they're very good. Even the basics one (number 1) doesn't teach you much.

This (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6305884129/qid=1057533456/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_7/103-9711471-3991841?v=glance&s=video&n=507846) is absolutely the best Wing Chun video I've ever seen. I've seen a bunch, too. But this one rules because:

a) it's not very expensive
b) it actually teaches you things, for example:

This is a pak sao. This is how you use it.
This is a tan sao. This is how you use it.
This is a wing chun punch. You do it like this.

Nearly every other Wing Chun video I've seen completely sucks in this regard. In fact, I didn't know which block was which until seeing the above mentioned video.

c) this video doesn't waste your time by showing the same thing over and over in slow motion the way Panther does.

It's amazing what a good video this is, especially compared to the higher-priced, lower quality videos that are out there.

Good luck.

IronFist

old jong
07-06-2003, 06:42 PM
I agree this viseo is good and has a nice documentory aspect on Wing Chun
They could have left that opening cheezy fight of of it and it would have been even better.

But....Videos can only show the surface of Wing Chun anyway.

Sihing73
07-07-2003, 05:09 AM
Hello,

I am a bit biased but I would suggest the video series by Chung Kwok Chow. These are available on both VHS and DVD, is'nt everything these days :D

Anyhow, he covers a lot of detail and explains the process of using the proper energy as well as the movments. By far one of the most detailed series which I have seen to date. Of course, being that I train under him you would expect me to like them ;)

I would also highly suggest these videos:

Of course the video by WSL already mentioned.

I like Augustine Fongs videos and think that they can be helpful. You may need to think a little but there are gems to be found there.

Randy Williams videos although this may upset some of the Augustine fong folks.

Alan Lambs video series. I have only seen one or two but I liked some of the innovations he shows.

There are plenty of others and the key is to find something which you like and which will show you something of value. Keep in mind that many videos will not necessarily follow the same theories or sequence which you have been taught. Keep an open mind and take what is helpful and make it your own.

Peace,

Dave

yuanfen
07-07-2003, 06:52 AM
Videos can be reminders and pointers if a person has learned some key things from a good instructor and has a sense of the subject. They are not so helpful as do it yourself start up kits.

From recollection - iron fist didnt have a wing chun instructor.
Could be wrong.

rubthebuddha
07-07-2003, 08:23 AM
sadly but verily, WSL's video is entitled "wing chun -- the science of in-fighting." why do i get the feeling that doesn't just refer to close-range combat?

black and blue
07-07-2003, 08:25 AM
Good video from WSL! Like most of all the short Pole clip at the end.

In-fighting? The man had In-sight! LOL

KingMonkey
07-07-2003, 03:35 PM
When people seriously talk about learning martial arts from videos I dont know whether to conclude they're martial arts prodigies or I'm just useless but my humble opinion on this........

Forget it !
Videos as a supplement to other instruction are fine but you cannot, cannot learn WC without training partners and a real instructor. The old argument to this is well it's better than nothing to which I would say fine I'll instruct you telepathically. My point - beyond a certain point half-assed instruction is not better than nothing.

Ok we're all busy etc but you need to make a choice. Make the time to learn WC or dont learn WC. You need to get to a class, even if it's only once a week. If you are really that busy think of this as a temporary thing for six months or a year to make some contacts. Contacts with peer's who will workout with you and contact with potential instructors who are willing to instruct privately. This way you can fit the training times into your busy schedule a little more easily than the regular classes. Also 1 hour of private training with an instructor is worth much more than 2 or 3 hours of class time.

Sorry to sound negative I just hate to think of people wasting their time and money.

Another brief point. Dont get stuck on WC. If another MA has classes that fit your schedule better and it's a choice between instruction and training partners in a different MA versus WC videos, do something else.

Good luck anyway.

TenTigers
07-07-2003, 09:51 PM
I really like Randy Williams' vids-I know I'll get flak for this, but I think he's straight to the point, down to earth, and has a sense of humor-things I value. Augustine Fong's tapes are very good-I enjoy his variations on Lop-sao. Yeah, it's nearly impossible to learn from a video-siu lim tao needs the sharp eye of a well trained instructor to be taught correctly-otherwise it's pure bull****-structure is EVERYTHING-(to quote Mun Hung-"Rik,Your Tan-Sao SUCKS!") -so grab a few intro tapes so you can maybe get a handle on basics-then...you MUST buy Duncan Leong's tapes-you have to really look hard for them in back issues iof Inside Kung-Fu-it's a small ad. But it is gold.You have to really watch it and listen-it's mostly in seminars- His technique is light years ahead of most Wing Chun guys out there-I know it sounds like a bold statement-but I've had the good fortune to have studied under some of the best and some of the worst, there are two kinds of people in this world-those who do wing chun, and those who THINK they do wing chun. To quote Sifu John Cresscione-"There are only two types of Wing Chun-good Wing Chun, and Bad Wing Chun" -nuff said.

mun hung
07-08-2003, 01:37 AM
I must agree with tentigers on this. Duncan Leung's tapes are exellent! I have yet to see anyone come close to his fighting applications.

captain
07-08-2003, 03:00 AM
why does'nt Rene Ritchie make a good YKS/SN video.he could
also include a history of those chaps.i'd buy it!

Russell.