PDA

View Full Version : Stopkicks in the street

pugilist
11-09-2000, 01:52 AM
How practical are they? Have u ever used them in a real situation?
I know they work very well on me(when i throw the kick that is), but that doesnt mean a whole lot /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DragonzRage
11-11-2000, 09:41 AM
Although I've never used one in a street fight (which probably has to do with the fact that I don't get into many street fights), I don't see why they couldn't be used. They seem practical to me. A well timed JKD jeet tek or a Muay thai teep could be a great technique to stop an aggressor dead in his tracks as he tries to close in on you (especially since he wouldn't expect such an attack). Once you halt him with the stop kick you can have the opportunity to follow up with all sorts of nasty stuff. At the very least, it'll stop him from closing distance to get a shot off on you. I'd use it.

You won't lose much if you go only halfway, but you won't win much either.

pugilist
11-11-2000, 04:30 PM
Hello DragonzRage, actually i meant stopkicks to a kicking leg, as done in Wing Tsun, Budo Taijutsu, etc. In my (limited /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ) experience they are much harder to pull off than stopkicks to the body that you spoke of.

DragonzRage
11-11-2000, 11:34 PM
Well actually the JKD stop kick I referred to is usually aimed at the opponent's knee rather than the body. But in terms of stop kicks to deflect kicks, I don't think they'd come out too often in street fights. Its not that they don't work, it's just that most street thugs aren't likely to throw kicks so there's really no use for it. But hey, if you get into a fight with a bar brawler who has a black belt in tae kwon do, then they'd probably be extremely useful /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

You won't lose much if you go only halfway, but you won't win much either.

LEGEND
11-23-2000, 04:09 PM
Never seen it...I have seen a bouncer used a front kick as a to a troublemaker shin and shot in to take the guy down while his bouncer mates came to throw the guy out! The front kick didn't stop the troublemaker from moving forward but he did flinch and straighten his leg which was the reaction the bouncer was looking for!

A

obiwan
11-26-2000, 05:46 AM
I've used it a lot.

Very effective as a distraction.

It aint going to really hurt anyone, it's there to throw there balance and timing off for an extra split second which you may need to escape or hit with.

Very effective as a retreat move. Kick the leading leg with a solid front kick at the knee, that stops they're forward momentum for that split second. Then get the F out.

Even at partially close range it works. Instead of being a true kick, you push yourself off the knee, giving yourself an extra boost of speed while slowing the opponent.

NOT a devastating move on it's own, but great in combinations.

The Force will be with you...always

JerryLove
11-26-2000, 06:30 AM
A stop kick, when used, may inflict a good amount of damage. The most obvious is if the knee locks out (not too likely in sparring, but not unheard of when someone isn't thinking about it). And of course, anytime someone falls on a hard surface, that may cause damage as well.

JWTAYLOR
11-26-2000, 06:23 PM
I haven't used it to stop a kick, but I have used a "stop kick" to disrupt forward motion and let me get some space to throw a good punch.

JWT

marcus_pasram
11-27-2000, 03:43 AM
Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by stop kick. Please explain.

Looking forward to your replies.

- Marcus

PS- Check out the animated technique page on this site: http://www.geocities.com/wingchunschoolNYC there is a technique against a side kick - its what drew me into this topic ;-0)

doug maverick
11-30-2000, 09:53 PM
if you kick it should be in close range because a smart street fighter like the one's in new york would just close in on you and stop you from throughing kicks<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>ten tigers seeking the same path [/quote]