PDA

View Full Version : elbow strikes in Hung fist

David Jamieson
07-04-2003, 07:02 AM
Does your style of Hung have many elbow strikes?

cheers

TenTigers
07-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Tang Fung as well as LSW has elbow strikes all throughout the forms-especially in Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen.

mono68
07-08-2003, 05:33 PM
You can include the following forms also:
Fu hok seurng ying kuen,
Gao duk kuen,
Moi fa kuen,
These all have elbow strikes as well.

Nevermind
07-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Off the top of my head:
Heart Penetrating Palm
Lau Gar
Gung Gee Fook Fu
Butterfly Palm
Mei Hua (Moi Fah)

Umm....actually those are all the empty hand Hung sets I have learned and I am only half done learning Gung Gee Fook Fu. So thus far, I have seen plenty of elbow strikes within the Hung arsenal.

Golden Arms
07-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Hmm...LOTS of em. Are you referring to plain elbow strikes or also including elbows that lead into secondary hits as well? Either way, here are some:

Mui Fa : One obvious one, and several incorporated into other moves.

Lau Ga: Same as above

Gung Chi Fuk Fu Kuen: Just plain a lot..just in the first half I would guess there are 19 or so

etc...

GARRA DE TIGRE
07-09-2003, 06:28 PM
hello tigres

about muy fah kuen :

how you do the last kick before the final salute ?

inside crescent kick or tornado kick ?

Nevermind
07-10-2003, 09:59 AM
I learned it as an inside crescent kick.

Golden Arms
07-10-2003, 05:03 PM
Similar here too..I have seen it done lots of ways though..regardless its still muy fa :)

hasayfu
07-10-2003, 10:55 PM
I was taught Moi Fah by Si-Gung Chiu Wai. After the down block, he does right leg side kick followed by a right leg tornado kick.

For those who do inside cresent, do you only do one kick or two after the block?

Nevermind
07-11-2003, 07:04 AM
Just one. Although it sounds like our Moi Fah may be a little different. Ours ends with (and forgive me, I'm terrible with technique descriptions) a kiu sao, reverse punch, rake off with willow leaf palm followed by inside crescent kick. From the kick, you simply hop into a left leg forward cat stance and end the set with dragon tiger show salute. Like I said, I'm not really good at technique description but hopefully that made some sense. :D

Golden Arms
07-11-2003, 11:52 AM
pretty similar to ours too..regardless, even if it is a totally different kick, the sets principals likely remain unchanged :)

Nevermind
07-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Word.

hasayfu
07-11-2003, 12:30 PM
My bad, totally different. Just when you said ends with a kick, it sounded pretty close.

We do a crouching down block, side kick, tornado kick, reverse bow block, chop, wipe, salute.

Whew, a mouth full. Our's looks very similar to the John Leong book version but with significant diffs.

Golden Arms
07-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Sounds cool..what else is different..do you still do the butterfly kick and the palm strike vertical punch combo from sei ping ma leading up to it?

HuangKaiVun
07-13-2003, 05:02 PM
We don't practice Hung Ga per se, but an elbow to me is not just a strike.

In fact, seldom do our fighters use elbow strikes in real fights.

We usually use our elbows to break holds or apply them.