PDA

View Full Version : Alan Orr Wing Chun Video

planetwc
07-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Got this via email yesterday...from Alan Orr.
Alan is a disciple of Robert Chu.

========Start of email from Alan==========
New Wing Chun Body Structure Sparring Series

Please take time to check out

www.alanorr.com

http://www.alanorr.com/htdocs/products/videoproductlist.html

This is a must see series!
=========End of Email from Alan=================

Note: I have not seen the video, I have not met Alan, I am just passing on the information about the availability of the tape.

KPM
07-07-2003, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the recommendation. But what kinds of things are on these tapes? How much do they cost in US$? Thanks.

Keith

planetwc
07-07-2003, 09:52 AM
Sorry for not being clearer.

I don't know Alan, I haven't seen his tapes, I merely got an email from him announcing their availablity.

mr.wing
07-07-2003, 01:00 PM
why in the world would you say this is a must see, you must be a robert chuee fan...:p :confused:

reneritchie
07-07-2003, 01:13 PM
I don't know and have never seen Alan, or how his interpretation of Robert's material will come across in video, but if he manages to put Robert's structure system into a digestible video lesson plan, it should benefit most everybody.

Robert has built on the sternum mechanics Hawkins Cheung built on the hip mechanics of YMWCK. Its a different approach to most everything out there (many others do the same lower body methods, from hip to foot, but very different upper bodies).

WCK people tend towards beeyotchness, tho, so I reckon most won't challenge their comfort-zones enough to check this kind of method out. Probably for the best. I personally don't want people to know this stuff anyway.

For the rest, where many WCK people go into hippy mouth-boxer mode, or fast and loose kickboxing application, Robert's system is very close to a smashing game that actually fights using WCK, where you increase pressure and eliminate space until the opponent gets so uncomfortable or tied up they give you a pass into their center, or around to their flank or back.

I don't know if Alan can do this like Robert, or can show it on tape if he can, but if I have the chance to check out the tapes, I'll post again.

Even if its not a method you like or agree with for WCK, its worth knowing about in case you ever encounter and have to deal with it.

PaulH
07-07-2003, 01:31 PM
What is the sternum mechanics? How does it work?

Regards,

reneritchie
07-07-2003, 01:38 PM
The sternum mechanics are dynamic alignments of the sternum and other upper-body points to deal with force (receiving and projecting). They work similar to how the pelvis works in most WCK, but allow for combined upper/lower body manipulations, together or one off the other. Although not a great analogy, you could imagine all-wheel (sternum and pelvis) vs. rear wheel drive (pelvis).

PaulH
07-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Rene. It sounds interesting like power points alignment with respect to the opponent's power points though you can be also in motion instead of in a static position.

Regards,