PDA

View Full Version : "Purist"

old jong
07-07-2003, 09:50 AM
To be a "purist" means to be patient first.To have confidence in the system as brought to us by some who are or where a lot better than us at the moment.To trust their knowledge and experience.It means also that we are aware that learning a martial art is a life long endeavour,a commitment. When one has been in contact with a very high level practitionner,there is no doubts in his mind about the way to go . He will try to follow the path as direct as possible to reach a highter level himself.
The fast and short lived results and the distractions of today's fads will have no effects on his dedication because he can always feel how much his Sifu or Sigung is far ahead on the road.
Now some may say: "preach" "chesthumping" or "snobish crap" after reading my comments.I don't care!...The world is full of contrast and there should be room for all kinds of approaches.
I'll shut up now!...

Merryprankster
07-07-2003, 09:55 AM
When one has been in contact with a very high level practitionner,there is no doubts in his mind about the way to go .

So what happens if you are lucky enough to meet TWO high level practitioners from different arts? :D

And no cries fo snobbish crap from me! That's reserved for "My style is better than your style."

old jong
07-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

So what happens if you are lucky enough to meet TWO high level practitioners from different arts? :D
We simply choose what we like better.Personnal tastes are still part of human rights.Do they?...

;) :D

whippinghand1
07-07-2003, 10:04 AM
What is TWO?

old jong
07-07-2003, 10:08 AM
One of my good friend is an outstanding judoka with over 30 years experience as a black belt. He is an avid groundfighter and was winning competitions when Royce was still sucking his mama's tits. He taught me lots of things but I still prefer Wing Chun. I love it .it's like that!.;)

P.S. (I taught him a thing or two also !)

jesper
07-07-2003, 12:04 PM
How to bleede and cry like a baby :)

Marky
07-07-2003, 12:52 PM
"So what happens if you are lucky enough to meet TWO high level practitioners from different arts?"

You demand that they fight to the death for your patronage.

reneritchie
07-07-2003, 01:33 PM
Why make static what is in its nature fluid? If not for change, we wouldn't have WCK (we may all still be wrestling). If not for change, you wouldn't have Yip Man WCK. You wouldn't have Augustine Fong's WCK. If not for change, you would be doing mimicry, not martial arts.

A still frame, no matter how pure, is just 1/24th of a second of film. Let the sucker play.

BTW, Merryprankster, I read some of Lloyd Irving's Blueprint stuff. Any idea where he's headed with that?

Ernie
07-07-2003, 01:46 PM
a purist ?
to this or that art '' basically reliving a life some one else has allready lived and imitating there accomlishments fo to add your own would make it un pure right.

a purist ?
in respect to what ?
would you deny your own natural abilities if he who created the system didn't have the potential you have , would you snuff out the flame of your own personal growth to fit some one elses mold

a purist ?
would you become a slave to a system to keep it pure with respect to what some one else tells you what there interpitation of pure is ?

a purist ?
is it alive or is it static and dead

and by who's definition is something pure ?

the only pure thing is death live changes and evolves and grows .

reneritchie
07-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Staring so hard at the letter of the law you forget the spirit?

old jong
07-07-2003, 02:01 PM
:rolleyes:

Ernie
07-07-2003, 02:09 PM
rene
Staring so hard at the letter of the law you forget the spirit?
o.k. you said it better , the whole starring at the finger missing the moon thing right:)

PaulH
07-07-2003, 02:12 PM
A purist is an idealist at heart. His ideals are sacred. They are not mutable, i.e., subject to substraction, addition, or change.

Regards,

Ernie
07-07-2003, 02:14 PM
paul
A purist is an idealist at heart. His ideals are sacred. They are not mutable, i.e., subject to substraction, addition, or change.
basicly stubborn with blinders on right

PaulH
07-07-2003, 02:35 PM
What is fascinating is their stubborness to their ideals gives in return the prominent strength of conviction of beliefs and purpose lacking often in any other relative frames of reference. The question is can you live meaningfully to your own self in a world of no right and wrong?

Regards,

old jong
07-07-2003, 02:40 PM
You can be blinded with change too!...

Ernie
07-07-2003, 02:44 PM
i read that about serial killers once and then there are the people who go to church and dance with live snakes , and believe there pure faith will protect them , untill they get bit
oh well there are many paths to each there own:)

Ernie
07-07-2003, 02:46 PM
old jong
You can be blinded with change too!...
how so if you measure it with improvement and advancement
and d amn it it who says i can't reinvent the wheel:mad:

old jong
07-07-2003, 03:20 PM
I know I can continue learning Wing Chun for the rest of my life and get better and better this way. That's not improvement to you?...It is for me.
No need to get that emotional BTW;)

Ernie
07-07-2003, 03:36 PM
mr. jong

I know I can continue learning Wing Chun for the rest of my life and get better and better this way. That's not improvement to you?.. this is true with almost anything why limit it to wing chun

if your happy and your progression curve is within your expectations , then brother you go on with your pure bad self :)
i just don't want to become that old martial artist that spouts out '' well i've been learning for 30 years '' but in reality he learned for about 5 and just kept repeating the same old thing for twenty five .
i see alot of these guys especially in the karate camp , i often spar with these purist and man they can't adjust to anything .
but they do great forms :p

so if i look at it that way i am a purist in respect to being flexible and adaptable .

:p :p :p

old jong
07-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Ernie.
I stay polite with you .Please try to do the same with me.

Ernie
07-07-2003, 03:48 PM
old jong
i'm sorry i wasn't trying to come at you disrespectfully ,
i was just sharing a thought and a experience .
you have been very polite and fun to discuss things with .
and i would like to keep it that way .
don't know exactly how i was being disrespectful but either way i will apologize .:(

Ernie
07-07-2003, 03:51 PM
o.k.
just checked your profile see were you could think i was speaking to you instead of in general
oct 17th eh, mine is the 18th
you think i would be more balanced for a libra

Merryprankster
07-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Rene,

No idea. Lloyd trains like a possessed man. And I mean that in a way that most of us cannot possibly comprehend. I am just now starting to get an inkling of what that means and what competition at that level requires.

I expect that his blueprint will outline the effort it takes, but I really can't speak to it.

PaulH
07-07-2003, 04:16 PM
Ernie,

Knowing you for a long time helps me to get used to your good heart but often inappropriate and stupid remarks. Let this be a lesson to you on civility. Ha! Ha!

Justice consists in doing no injury to men; decency in giving them no offense.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Regards,

Ernie
07-07-2003, 04:22 PM
paul
o'k'
do you wnat a eye jab or a kick in the nuts next time i see you
there i go again being un civil ,
hope all is well

yuanfen
07-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Paul H.

Cicero was an unreliable ally.
Incidentally, he was a lawyer.

PaulH
07-07-2003, 04:43 PM
Joy,

Thanks for your warning of "um" lawyers! Okay, how's this from a man of higher principles : "A thing is not necessarily true because badly uttered, nor false because spoken magnificently. - Saint Augustine of Hippo" Ha! Ha!

Regards,

yuanfen
07-07-2003, 05:38 PM
Paul H.

Some bishops too these days! One in Arizona is in deep trouble. (recently resigned)
Augustine is no friend of mine. He abandoned his mistresses
conveniently when he saw the light- didnt take care of them.
Weird fellow- original sin passed on to infants through their father's sperm! Most folks are predestined for hell!!But he was pretty innovative on the concept of time.

But then- even my heroes have clay feet....er including Jefferson.
But then he wasa lawyer too.
On Indians- when he appointed the first Indian commisioner-
he wanted Indians to give up their lands "legally"- get them into debt in the stores he said then it wiuld be easier to get the lands.
Rum and debt should do it.

At least Reagan joked that we stole the Panama Canal- legally.
And he was no lawyer-unlike the Republican before him from Whittier, Californy. Ok---I quit....enough sparring!