PDA

View Full Version : Shorin Ryu question for 'Megapoint

Leto
07-07-2003, 07:10 PM
I know you've had experience with karate in Okinawa, and seem to have some exposure to many of the styles. I studied Matsubayashi Ryu here in the US throughout my youth. In my short stay on Okinawa, I was explosed to some of the other branches of shorin-ryu, though I didn't get to get out much due to my work.
What would you say are the differences between the various shorin/shuri te branches? I was able to observe some Matsumura orthodox style practicioners...I know they have a couple forms that aren't in shobayashi, kobayashi, or matsubayashi. But for those other three...what are really the differences between them? Shobayashi was Chotoku Kyan's school...kobayashi I have heard described as essentially the same, but headed by Chibana Chosin. Matsubayashi was headed by Nagamine Shoshin, a student of Kyan, among others. One of my coworkers took a kobayashi or shobayashi class (dont remember which) outside the base, and what he showed my looked basically the same. (except he wasn't any good at the stances, and he told me they didn't teach any application, as it was a class for kids, really)

Long Question short...where and what are the differences? in style, interpretation, practice? theory, philosophy?

Kristoffer
07-24-2003, 01:08 PM
PM him instead. He aint never gonna find this

shaolin kungfu
07-25-2003, 12:21 AM
LOL

it's almost been a month :D