PDA

View Full Version : Shuul's Technique Talk Part 3

Shuul Vis
07-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Ok i was out of it this weekend so my "daily technique" idea has turned into a "whenever i have the time" idea. So on to the discussion.

Technique #3: Chambering
Chambering is a power generation method in which the attacking limb is drawn back a considerable distance and then shot out from its position towards the target. It can be used with almost any type of attack.

My Opinion: Chambering can undeniably generate power. When i began martial arts it was the only power generation method i was taught. It made sense to my "western mind" and was easy to learn and apply.

Notice i said "when i began martial arts.." It worked for me at the time but i was soon schooled the hard way that chambering was only the first step on the path towards efffective power generation. My first taste was when a long time student of GDA's teacher pounded the living hell out of me almost every day. He would hit me wherever he chose and with extreme force, yet i couldnt forsee any of his strikes until it was too late. I kept looking for him to draw back yet he never did. I couldnt understand how he could hit with such force with such little movement.

Later i learned that the same power generated from linear movements like chambering could be achieved and even surpassed with circular movements. And beyond that i began studying how to link many small circular movements throughout my body into a single strike mulitplying the force created. This was all heading towards a goal of unifying the movements of the body into a single unit, the power generated increasing while the amount of movement was decreasing.

I dont like chambering. Its usually telegraphed and limits your guard. There are more powerful methods of creating force using less movement. They just take time to learn... Alot of time. Now tell us your thoughts. Do you have chambering in YOUR style? Do you use it? How and why?

Chang Style Novice
07-07-2003, 09:42 PM
Generating as much power in the least possible distance is a fundamental principle of any fighting art. Still, a little distance can be helpful sometimes. It allows you to feint, for example.

Shuul Vis
07-07-2003, 09:48 PM
so for you chambering is merely a feint?

joedoe
07-07-2003, 09:50 PM
It can also help you to learn how to generate the power no matter how far from your body the limb is e.g. if you are right up against someone and you want to fire off a strike, but they are not in the normal strike zone. Chambering the limb can give you the room you need to generate the power in the strike.

Shuul Vis
07-07-2003, 09:58 PM
joedoe
i agree, it does help you learn the methods of generating power from smaller distances. I think its still only the first step, but im interested in hearing from someone that uses chambering as their primary method.

For most i see people learning more advanced methods for hand techniques but almost everyone i know chambers thier kicks for power. Chambering my kicks was the hardest habit for me to break. Did the power of my kicks suffer? On the contrary, instead of being a piston like action using the leg, my kicks became a part of my entire body as a unit striking the opponent. i used my root more in my kicks for power instead of momentum. And they are alot harder to telegraph now.

shaolin kungfu
07-07-2003, 10:56 PM
I've never chambered in a fight, but I do think it has helpful in teachng power generation. Using it in a fight seems like an invitation for a punch in the face.

Lowlynobody
07-08-2003, 01:36 AM
Chambering at the hip can be used to pull someone towards your centre of weight while punching them at the same time with the other hand. Now the pull doesn't have to go all the way to the hip in reality but the intent to do so is there when its used.

Also I think chambering can teach you to punch from your centre of weight which sits between your hips (also known as the dan tian) which comes into it in alot of systems (generating power from your dan tian) and it can teach two hands working as one to create more power - one hand punches out the other chambers in.

I see it as a beginners training tool. From there everything gets shorter and shorter till its just a twitch.

Merryprankster
07-08-2003, 02:25 AM
Later i learned that the same power generated from linear movements like chambering could be achieved and even surpassed with circular movements. And beyond that i began studying how to link many small circular movements throughout my body into a single strike mulitplying the force created. This was all heading towards a goal of unifying the movements of the body into a single unit, the power generated increasing while the amount of movement was decreasing.

We call this "boxing" Also, "Shotput," "Discus," "Javelin," "Hammer Throw," "Golf," etc. :D

SevenStar
07-08-2003, 10:32 AM
chambering is also used to pull a limb into you for breaks, strikes, etc.

also, chambering is circular... the fist coils back to the upward position, correct? a slight twist in the waist to creat the snap while you are punching? there are two of your small circles right there. A good reverse punch is a very powerful one.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-08-2003, 10:38 AM
i practice my side kick both ways. im not real sure why.

Suntzu
07-08-2003, 10:47 AM
I have this high elbow thing happening sometimes…. It looks funny on tape…. They can see it coming a mile away…. But for the times they don’t see it…. Its sweeter than yoohoo…
:D

norther practitioner
07-08-2003, 10:55 AM
The only time I can *remember* explicitely using a chambered fist in a fight was when I was pushed up against a wall... Put my hand back to catch myself, then let out a straight punch towards the guys stomach, went right through chamber and launched out....

Other than that, it does come into play, or at least I feel it should. I try to get back towards chamber with a lot of my grabs (unless it is like single whip). The motion into center (not center line, but towards the body, where you are stronger) is more important I think than actually getting there sometimes.