PDA

View Full Version : Chi Sau with the Masters

black and blue
07-08-2003, 04:56 AM
In another thread Yuanfen described Chi Sau with Ho Sifu.

His control is amazing. A little correction here and there, lightbulbs are turned on

Who here has Chi Sau'd with any of the big names, and what was the experience like? What was the marked difference between what they do and what their senior students do? The only person of real quality I have Chi Sau'd with is my own Sifu...

... anyone care to share? :)

yuanfen
07-08-2003, 06:51 AM
B and B... many top flight masters dont like to chi sao at the drop of a hat.

My good fortune- in addition to my sigung Ho and my sifu Fong
among well known people I have rolled with Wong Shon Leung, Tsui Tsong Tin, Victor Kan and Hawkins Cheung. I have also rolled with some very good people who are not as well known.

rubthebuddha
07-08-2003, 11:25 AM
attemped to with leung ting and did just a wee bit with lau ka sun (cheng chuen fun's student who just moved to toronto).

i say attemped to because it really wasn't chi sau -- more a game of "hit the david." :o

:D

dezhen2001
07-08-2003, 11:57 AM
ive been lucky enough to play chi sau with my sigung and also tai sigung (yip chun). Was just amazed at how strong a root he had, as well as how sensitive he was. So many subtle things seemed to make all the difference.

an amazing experience :)
more a game of "hit the david." i know that game too! :o

dawood

John Weiland
07-08-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by yuanfen
B and B... many top flight masters dont like to chi sao at the drop of a hat.

Yet, as you well know, chi sao tells pretty much everything about one's Wing Chun.

Any "master" in the context of this thread should be able to control any self described "challenger" in public demonstrations.

Of course, chi sao is noncompetitive within the kwoon or among friends and well intentioned truth seekers.

From what I've heard and read here, Wong Shun Leung was very willing to chi sao during public exhibitions and get togethers.

An interesting quote from WSL, passed on by my siheng last Saturday, as translated by Leung Ting from a public gathering 10 or so years ago in SF, "Wing Chun is whatever a Wing Chun fighter is doing at the moment." LT pointedly noted then that was what WSL was saying and not him.

Regards,

Ernie
07-08-2003, 02:26 PM
lets see
gary lam [ scary power and intent ] he makes you feel fear with out ever hitting you / also the most natural looking and flowing almost formless

hawkins [ extremly sensitive , deceptive and misleading he is like a ghost untill he turns it on he can be empty and make you stumble over your own feet or become solid and shut you down , he controls you from a mental perspective , as soon as you think about starting a action he is allready ahead of you and turning off your impulse]

david peterson [ pure clean structure the guy is walking wing chun with intent and explosiveness]

micheal louison[ student of NG CHUN HONG ] he is the most like water i have ever felt some of the best looking wing chun i have ever seen effortless power

each person has very different feeling wing chun yet all are effective , wing chun seems to have many shades of gray depending on a person physical make up and personality , some are more structural others more natural but all very skilled , some gravitate more to one or another aspect of the system , this leads me to believe wing chun comes in all shapes and sizes the only commen denominater is the core basics in relation to that particular individuals mental and physical make up .
what are some of the universal truths [ similarities ] you have seen with the different masters

black and blue
07-09-2003, 02:01 AM
Any one with Chi Sau tales to tell from non-Yip Man lineages (Jim and Rene, maybe?).

Anyone who has travel to Foshan? I would love to hear how Lun Jai's Chi Sau differs from Yip Man's later students.

I need to earn more money to travel and meet the people you guys mention! :)

dezhen2001: Did you work out with Yip Chun recently in the UK, or was that a trip to HK?

Cheers,

Duncan

kj
07-09-2003, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by black and blue
Anyone who has travel to Foshan? I would love to hear how Lun Jai's Chi Sau differs from Yip Man's later students.

I had the privilege to meet Lon Gi a few years ago, but not to chi sau with him. Based on seeing him perform his sets, I have no reason to believe that his chi sau would significantly differ from some of the hands rooted in Ip Man's Hong Kong era.

I believe there is a student of Lon Gi who checks in here from time to time. Perhaps he can share some of his perspective.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

black and blue
07-09-2003, 03:14 AM
KJ... that just won't do! LOL :)

Please tell a little of your trip to HK/Foshan if you have the time... sounds very interesting. I'm insanely jealous of anyone who has had the good fortune to work out with those in-the-know.

I read a few articles by Derek Frearson on his time with Lun Jai, and he described his using very fast, angular WCK... and that he was happy to demonstrate and teach all day! :)

Regards,

Duncan

kj
07-09-2003, 03:19 AM
I have not chi sau'ed with a lot of the "masters" (whatever that really means). I have met or worked with quite a few though, receiving assistance, critique or instruction from many. I have touched hands with many other and often well-known exponents, some of whom I believe match or exceed some of the so-called "masters" in skill and ability.

What impresses me even more than a person's chi sau, is their ability to share in a way that also helps me to learn and improve. I weight this heavily in judging the value of an exchange.

I have touched some remarkable hands that weren't one iota of help to me, save as an illustration of what they could do and I could not. Other than the novelty factor, I far more value time with someone of lesser celebrity, or even of lesser skill, who possesses both the willingness and ability to help me to grow.

Nonetheless, there are still some celebrities on the list of people I'd like to meet, and of course chi sau with if the opportunity presents itself.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

foolinthedeck
07-13-2003, 02:45 PM
forget chi sauing with the 'masters'
i just want to chi sau with:
KJ
yuanfen
anerlich
dawood
ewarrior
miles teg
phil redmond
russelsherry
etc
the list goes on, i just forget the names

yuanfen
07-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Me too- specially that etc fellow- he shows up everywhere it seems.

cha kuen
07-15-2003, 07:27 PM
You guys are funny. hehe

russellsherry
07-20-2003, 07:06 PM
hi guys, these are the sifu i have rolled. it was my greatest momemt, was at a semminar with sifu , wong shun leurg, i was taught, more in 15 minutes than the 12 years i did wing chun also of course my sifu randy williams , david peterson as well
i cant remember his first name but a gentleman called mr ho from
stepahan chan school also of course the person with whom beats me up the most david foggie sifu. my first sifu aussie champons chris stamilous and carlo bassi and i think i have rolled with sigung william cheung once as well oh if foolin the deck wants to chi sau with me no worries just you bring along the beer peace russellsherry

old jong
07-20-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by russellsherry
i think i have rolled with sigung william cheung once

You think?....:confused: He did not leave you with a very lasting impression!

russellsherry
07-20-2003, 07:36 PM
now now , old jong i was olny as sifu cheungs for school 3 mouths, and he came to class as i remember it he did chi sau with
a few people and i thought he was better than my first sifu russell sherry

old jong
07-20-2003, 07:40 PM
Should be ,otherwise go back to your first sifu! ;)

russellsherry
07-21-2003, 05:13 PM
dear old jong, the reason i left my first sifu was , he was not teaching wing chun propley, in the first place , and the other reason he told me he repersented sifu wong shun leurng in australia when he had about 20 lessons and at the moment he teaches less at wing chun than when i was their and also he never shows up for class ever. it would be a backwould step i would train , at sifu williams before i would go back to him peace russellsherry