PDA

View Full Version : A JKD Praise

Kong Jianshen
10-22-2000, 08:16 PM
I must say, of all the arts i've studied few offer more logical explinations to a real street fight then JKD!

Our instructor always stresses "In JKD, we use ANYTHING that works" Everything is based on logic, economy of motion and practibility. These are very improtant things when in an altercation. Maybe thats why its also called Scientific Streetfighting? Some people might argue "I didnt see any JKD people winning the UFC" or "Anit no JKDer kicking Shamrock's ass any time soon" Thats all fine and well. But the truth is, in how many "NO HOLDS BARRED" fighting matches is a plump juicey finger jab to the eyes allowed? NONE! They dont even allow pressure point attacks? Maybe JKD would not win in the ring with these rules, but on the street the outcome would be quite different. Any comments are welcome! Thanks in advance.

ALways seeking to learn,
Kong Jianshen
Humble disciple of the ancient Boxing Arts

JerryLove
10-22-2000, 08:29 PM
So which few offered more logical explanations?

GinSueDog
10-22-2000, 08:33 PM
Actually, a great many JKD students do compete in MMA tourneys and a number of other tourneys as well. Also a large number of JKD instructors train and coach a number of MMA fighters in one or another aspect of there fighting before there matches. Finally, almost every MMA fighter crosstrains in one or more different martial arts in addition to there base art, in that way whether they call it JKD or not, they are using what works and discarding what doesn't work.-ED

"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

Master Po
10-23-2000, 12:43 AM
No offence to anyone intended but I think saying we would lose a MMA match because no eye strikes are allowed is a poor excuse.

I train JKD myself and many people in my school have and still do compete in MMA events. Some also compete in submission wrestling/BJJ or Muay thai as well. While NHB fighting is NOT street fighting it is a great place to test SOME of the skills you could use in a street fight. Yes, there are a few 'tools' that cant be used like eye strikes and biting but there is a lot more to JKD then just that.

BTW... Eric Paulson teaches at the Inosanto JKD school and was Shooto world champ. Randy Couture (Former UFC heavy weight champ) trains with JKD choach Matt Thorton. John Lober has done well in MMA (beat Frank Shamrock once) and is a jkd guy. Shamrock beat his ass bad a few years later but you still get my point.

Again no offence but just the opinion of a fellow JKD guy. I'm not saying you have to compete in MMA to be a good fighter. I'm just saying its a good place to test some of your skills

Kong Jianshen
10-23-2000, 04:08 AM
That was a good reply Po! I was aware of Paulson but not the rest of those guys you mentioned; good to know.

I also would like to add that one of Bruce's orginal JKD studants has actually coached Olympic Boxing.

I however can't remember the exact name there's Golden, Wong, Inosanto, D.Lee, Glover, etc. If anyone does and would like to add that in, please go right ahead. Its been knawing at my brain for a while.

Always seeking to learn,
Kong Jianshen
Humble disciple of the ancient Boxing Arts

GinSueDog
10-23-2000, 05:42 AM
That would be Richard Bustillo who has coached Olympic Boxing. He runs and owns the IMB Academy up in Torrance and has a number of top notch fighters that compete in a number of other styles besides boxing.-ED

"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

mild7
10-23-2000, 05:39 PM
JKD is a great system and philosophy. Though I don't learn under a JKD school I have always applied Bruce Lee's principles to my martial arts training.