PDA

View Full Version : Peng Nan Wing Chun

black and blue
07-08-2003, 08:25 AM
http://www.cmaod.org/wingchun.html

The link above leads to a site selling DVDs of Peng Nam Wing Chun.

Anyone (Rene, maybe) know anything about this branch of Wing Chun in Foshan?

Anyone seen the DVDs?

reneritchie
07-09-2003, 08:19 AM
I've seen Pan sifu's original documentary, Eddie Chong's videos, and the VCDs from China put out after his death, as well as the book series which documented Pan Nam WCK before dovetailing into Chan Yiu-Min WCK near the end.

They were all very interesting. If the DVDs make use of the footage of Pan sifu from the documentary, that would be good. At 80+ years of age he still moved well, especially with the 12' pole set he went through (handled it like a toothpick).

The system is essentially his re-envisioning WCK through his 30+ years of village and proper Hung knowledge and his Hei Gung training. It uses Chan Wah-Shun WCK as its foundation/blueprint but includes a broader spectrum of South Fist in its sets (more different types of hands, footwork, etc.) and focuses on the Ng Jee Mui Fa Hei Gung throughout (all sets done slowly and with that in mind).

It's always interesting to see other variations. Depends how budget concious you are, I think. It's more a collector type thing than anything else for most, unless you're considering taking up the art.

danny james1
07-09-2003, 09:48 AM
I have the complete set on cd rom.The forms have very little similarity to the ip man style.
The version i have is all in mandarin so i cant understand a word being spoken,but it is still interesting to view,if a little slow and repetitive.

Edmund
07-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Black and blue,

If you have any specific questions, I study Pan Nam WC.
I am not familiar with the DVDs that you mention.

black and blue
07-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Do you train at Kamon? Your name rings a bell.

If so, post or mail me - I'd like to see the footage (an exchange of interesting videos/DVDs, maybe).

I have some footage of Pa Fa Lien WCK that is worth a look.

Edmund,

Thanks for the heads-up. Will PM you with any Qs. I don't really wish to study this style (not sure it's even possible in the UK), but was intrigued by the DVDs.

danny james1
07-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Hi Duncan

I shall bring cds for you to borrow next time i get chance to train at the Croydon class.
Hopefully next Monday (work permitting).

Dan

black and blue
07-11-2003, 09:19 AM
I won't be there on Monday, as I'm in Cambridge at a Wedding reception...

But the Monday after for sure. Will lend you a tape I've got of some interesting stuff (Wing Chun... cough, cough).

Do I Know you???

:)