PDA

View Full Version : No zinc for guys

IronFist
07-08-2003, 01:58 PM
I just heard that men shouldn't supplement zinc. They say it causes prostate cancer :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've always heard that you should take zinc when you get a cold and stuff, and my GNC Mega Man vitamin has about 80% RDA zinc in each pill, but they say you get enough zinc in a normal diet so you shouldn't supplement.

Anyone else heard anything about this?

IronFist

Serpent
07-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Depends how much you jerk off! You lose zinc every time you ejaculate.

Serpent
07-08-2003, 04:22 PM
BTW, that's why a zinc supplmement can help with teenage acne. A low level of zinc in the body can make a person prone to acne.

Teenagers - acne - jerking off.

You do the math! ;)

rubthebuddha
07-08-2003, 08:35 PM
so any adult dude with bad acne -- hmmmmmm.

;)

Serpent
07-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Yep - he's a wanker!

joedoe
07-08-2003, 09:49 PM
**** I'd better sort out that acne then :D

Serpent
07-08-2003, 10:58 PM
Yeah. You spotty wanker.

Of course, you could just say that you shag all the time, so you ejaculate a lot, but never alone. That excuse would never work for teenagers, but you're all grown up so you could use it.

With people that don't know you too well at least.

;) :p :)

Cheese Dog
07-08-2003, 10:59 PM
That doesn't make any sense to me---Low zinc levels can cause low testosterone, lowered immunity, low fertility, fatigue, and muscle weakness.
Also bad HDL/LDL ratio. (And also acne, which has been already been covered!) :D

As long as you don't megadose long term, it shouldn't be a problem. Most recomendations are no more than 30-50 mg. per day.

Serpent
07-08-2003, 11:10 PM
And of course, all this depends on your diet. If you're getting enough zinc in your diet you don't need to supplement at all. If you're not getting any, then load up a bit.

Ironfist - Do you eat zinc rich foods? Or ejaculate excessively?

rubthebuddha
07-08-2003, 11:18 PM
only when you post, serpent.

the problem? currently, you're up to 5404.

Serpent
07-08-2003, 11:48 PM
:D

IronFist
07-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Hmm, I dunno. That's just what I heard.

Next week they'll probably come out with another study saying it's not true. You know how that stuff goes.

IronFist

Kempo Guy
07-09-2003, 08:26 AM
Haven't read any reports on the connection between Zinc and Cancer... but then again everything causes cancer these days. :rolleyes:

As for a deficiency of zinc causing acne, no, I think it's the other way around... That's why younger people usually don't need a zinc supplement. Personally I've been supplementing with ZMA for the past year and had great results.

KG

Former castleva
07-09-2003, 01:18 PM
I´d like you to offer a reference.
Too much of anything is bad...not a reason to blow zinc out of the water.

Prostate cancer...guess what? When it comes to prostate cancer,there´s not much you can currently do,it seems to either arrive or not.Diet MAY influence it but as far as I know,nothing conclusive to say yet.
If you can provide a legitimate reference,good.But you need to remember that these kinds of news pop up all the time,often they INDICATE they something,there should be a correlation etc. but they are nothing to go wild with.Recently high iron levels were linked to both Alzheimer´s and Parkinson´s,but neither of these,especially the latter is well known enough to make hasty generalisations.Prostate continued,besides being important for sexual functions,it is actually recommended to take care of getting your zinc if you happen to have a prostate infection as an example.

PLCrane
07-09-2003, 05:53 PM
I looked it up on medline, and all I could find were studies showing that zinc inhibits the growth and invasiveness of prostate cancer cells (in the laboratory), and that low zinc levels in blood and hair are associated with prostate cancer.

Where'd you hear that, Iron Fist? I think they got it backwards.

Too much zinc (wow, 100mg/day is a lot) will depress your copper levels. If you're taking a lot of zinc, make sure your multi has at least 0.5mg of copper (per day).

You can wank it all you want, just don't shoot, and you won't lose the zinc.

PLC

Black Jack
07-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Coming from a nutritional supplement background and career most studies show men are zinc deficent. It is one of they most important minerals in terms of mens prostate and overall health.

I take around 80 mg of zinc daily in lozenge form.

Zinc is excellent for balancing testosterone and estrogen, prostate function and male menopause. It inhibts levels of aromatase, the testosterone-to-estrogen conversion enzyme. Which besides increasing your sex drive it helps slim you down as fat cells are full of aromatase and tend to store plentifull quanities of estrogen.

Its great for your sex life. That's why osyters get their reputation.

rubthebuddha
07-18-2003, 02:50 PM
bless those oysters.

about all i've read is that zinc is good for your immune system, which is a good thing, unless you're struggling to prove that you're not a hypochondriac.