PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin-do.....Again

YinYangDagger
07-08-2003, 05:50 PM
Yes, I am starting a Shaolin-do thread, again. I am new to this board, but being a Shaolin-do student in San Antonio, I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I haven't been there long, only around 5 months or so, but to me personally I think the Sifu there is TOP NOTCH. I personally think that all this bashing will always go on, regardless of what one learns. For example: 1. Which Wing Chun organization is better? There are 3 popular branches now (each one always headbutting the other) 2. American Kenpo, Tracy's Kenpo, Dragon Kenpo, MooShoo Kenpo, take your pick (they all stemmed from Mitose, but where are his "secret scrolls" and lineage? Conflicting stories out there...) 3. Taekwondo ITF vs. WTF (enough said there, but which is better?) 4. Who created Hapkido? Look at the conflicts there (and according to Grandmaster Choi, his certificates were stolen just as he arrived back in Korea, and his supposed teacher never entered him as taking one lesson back in Japan) 5. How many Hung Gar lineages are there? (Each group says the other is lying...) 6. Eagle Claw (I count at LEAST two Grandmasters of the system, which is real and which is fake?) 7. Krav Maga (originated from the techniques of Hapkido I read, but they won't agree to that) 8. By the way, Krav Maga is NOT the official Israeli martial art, something else is (hey, I read it in a Black Belt ad) 9. Kung Fu San Soo (where did Master Jimmy Woo get his knowledge...YOU'RE KIDDING, from his family??? Where's his lineage certificates? Why did he call his grappling "jujutsus" (plural?) He MUST be fake). By the way, just MESS with a KFSS stylist and you're libel to get your teeth caved in... 10. Why did all the Korean instructors call their art (taekwondo) KARATE back in the '60's? Grandmaster Hee Il Cho MUST be fake if he did that...11. Original JKD, Eclectic JKD, JKD mixed with Arnis, Extra Crispy JKD (and all this time I thought Bruce Lee said JKD was HIS art, not to be interpreted by the masses) 12. SCARS has made millions of $$$, but he was a Kung Fu San Soo master (same techniques taught in KFSS) 13. Bujinkan Ninjutsu (all others are FAKE - hey wait a minute - Soke Hatsumi is not recognized in Japan under ANY martial art organization?? Read this article: http://koryu.com/library/ninjutsu.html

Believe me, I could go on and on, but I think you get my point. When I first came to SA, I went to at LEAST 10 different schools to find one I like. I now drive many miles to get the SD school, when there are SO many dojos near my home. So you think I'm a pushover and naive? I have black belts in one of them Kenpo styles and a ninjutsu style, was a hand-to-hand combat / knife fighting instructor in the U.S. Marine Corps (even got the certificate). I've also trained in Okinawan kickboxing and Isshinryu Karate. I also have a Bachelor of Science degree.

I believe it's ludicrous and immature to go on and on about bashing a system. I personally do not like Taekwondo (any of the styles), so you know what? I don't take it. I don't sit here on the keyboard trying to convince the world that it's no good. Why would someone do that? To help out? I don't think so. It's simply done to try and prove to everyone that the person bashing is somewhat intelligent, when in reality it just shows how bored, immature, and how much you really don't have a life. I have an idea, why not go train? And even more ludicrous is to challenge someone over the internet (i.e. YOU KNOW MY ADDRESS, COME ON DOWN AND LET'S FIGHT). LOL how ridiculous is that? Step up face to face, then I'll know it's real. In my opinion, the bashers are very poor examples of martial artists. The type of guys (or girls) that get a black belt in one system, then move to another and whip up on a white belt in sparring class to feel good about themselves. I train in Shaolin-do and am proud of it, and will continue to train in SD, regardless of these weak, attention-seeking opinions. I suppose I could quit, and come read this board everyday, with all the "masters" on here I may learn a thing or two. Naaahhh....

As far as 900 forms are concerned, has anyone done the math? I have...it averages to 90 forms per year (over 10 years). It averages further down to 7.5 per month (90 divided by 12). Weekly that's UNDER 2 forms per week. If you train 7 days a week, 8 hours per day, that's NOT impossible at all...

Sorry, 2 cents turned into a nickel.

joedoe
07-08-2003, 05:55 PM
OMFG. Here we go again. The SD bashing finally settles down and someone has to go and fire it up again.

As far as 900 forms are concerned, has anyone done the math? I have...it averages to 90 forms per year (over 10 years). It averages further down to 7.5 per month (90 divided by 12). Weekly that's UNDER 2 forms per week. If you train 7 days a week, 8 hours per day, that's NOT impossible at all...

Train 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for 10 years?

Laughing Cow
07-08-2003, 06:04 PM
First of all, I know nothing about SD except for what I read here.

I couldn't care less.

If you like the style and Instructor go ahead and study it.
To be honest I would rather see a discussion about what is taught and how it compares to other systems, rather than the childish bickering of egos of the pro and con guys.

As for the 900 forms, I don't think that they are all taught nor are required to be known.

Pick the forms you like and study them hard, rather be good at a few forms than being a forms collector.

Personally, I like systems with a few long forms.

Cheers.

Serpent
07-08-2003, 06:12 PM
You trying to convince us or yourself?

YinYangDagger
07-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I figured Serpent would be on here...just couldn't wait to do more bashing...read the post again about bashers, I think it fits you to a "T".

Agreed, Laughing Cow....

Like I said, I wanted to throw my nickel in, and only signed up for this board to do so.

joedoe
07-08-2003, 06:32 PM
But if you guys quit bringing up the topic, no one would bash SD. We went for months without an SD discussion, then a bunch of people (SD students no less) hopped on and brought the subject up and suddenly we have a swarm of SD threads! Seriously, you guys are making a rod for your own back.

Serpent
07-08-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by YinYangDagger
Yeah, I figured Serpent would be on here...just couldn't wait to do more bashing...read the post again about bashers, I think it fits you to a "T".

Where have I bashed anything here so far?

Read what joedoe said - he's spot on.

If you guys are so happy and ok with what you're doing, then that's fine. Just get on and do it and stop regurgitating all the same old crap here.

Brad
07-08-2003, 08:14 PM
Where have I bashed anything here so far?
I think he's refering to your arguments with themeecer, which if I'm not mistaken, had little or nothing to do with Shaolin-Do. Anyway, another useless thread.

Just a couple responses since I don't work tommorrow and can stay up late :p

The big flaw in that logic is it's not just 900 or so forms, but 900 forms covering 50 different styles. Quite a few of which have their own unique training techniques outside of the forms neccesary for understanding. You can't just bounce around from style to style every 3-4 months and expect to do any of them competently.

Believe me, I could go on and on, but I think you get my point. When I first came to SA, I went to at LEAST 10 different schools to find one I like. I now drive many miles to get the SD school, when there are SO many dojos near my home. So you think I'm a pushover and naive? I have black belts in one of them Kenpo styles and a ninjutsu style, was a hand-to-hand combat / knife fighting instructor in the U.S. Marine Corps (even got the certificate). I've also trained in Okinawan kickboxing and Isshinryu Karate. I also have a Bachelor of Science degree.
I've personally known much more experienced people than yourself with much higher levels of education who've been taken by very obvious frauds. Actually, it's these people that I noticed stayed the longest, probably due to ego. It's embarising and humiliating to be tricked by someone in a field that you consider yourself somewhat skilled in.

Serpent
07-08-2003, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Brad

I think he's refering to your arguments with themeecer, which if I'm not mistaken, had little or nothing to do with Shaolin-Do. Anyway, another useless thread.

Yeah, my problem with him goes way beyond the fact that he studies Shaolin-Do!

Fred Sanford
07-08-2003, 08:22 PM
I'll make this short and to the point, yinyandagger.

f.uck shaolin-do and fu.ck you.

YinYangDagger
07-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Mr. Sanford - Your IQ is showing again LOL How embarrassed your parents must be....

YinYangDagger
07-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Thank you Master Brad for your insight and infinite wisdom. Funny how "useless" threads spark a response from you.

Fred Sanford
07-08-2003, 08:35 PM
LMAO.

YinYangDagger wrote on 07-08-2003 12:30 PM:
You're tough behind a keyboard, notice how I don't have to prove to anyone how bad I am by posting a reply on the board...Obviously you were molested by one or both of your parents, I say seek help...

I'll answer your PM here.

ohhhhhhhh, my feelings are hurt. Why do you think I care about your opinion. You aren't even smart enough to know when you are being conned.

Shaolin-Do
07-08-2003, 08:35 PM
Sigh...

Serpent
07-08-2003, 08:43 PM
:rolleyes:

Fred Sanford
07-08-2003, 08:49 PM
:D

Brad
07-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Thank you Master Brad for your insight and infinite wisdom. Funny how "useless" threads spark a response from you.
Is that supposed to be insulting? I'm not ashamed to admit posting on a useless thread while staying up late at night ;) Don't worry about Fred, he says pretty much the same thing to everyone :D

BTW your math still doesn't add up :D

cho
07-08-2003, 11:57 PM
another SD thread? this time i want in!

. ........

ok, i got nothing. maybe later. till the next SD thread in 3 weeks?

SaMantis
07-09-2003, 05:53 AM
I personally think that all this bashing will always go on, regardless of what one learns. For example: 1. Which Wing Chun organization is better? There are 3 popular branches now (each one always headbutting the other) 2. American Kenpo, Tracy's Kenpo, Dragon Kenpo, MooShoo Kenpo, take your pick (they all stemmed from Mitose, but where are his "secret scrolls" and lineage? Conflicting stories out there...) 3. Taekwondo ITF vs. WTF (enough said there, but which is better?) ... etc. ...

I'm so insulted. You TOTALLY forgot to add Northern Praying Mantis/Wah Lum to the bashing list: i.e. -- 8 Step Sucks! No, 7 Star sucks! Wah Lum is just wushu! blah blah etc.

Come on YYD, get with it. ;) :D :D

Judge Pen
07-09-2003, 06:10 AM

I'm tired of this too. We have the one thread (SD questions and answers) and I would just prefer that this thread be the last SD thread on the forum.

Everyone knows I train in SD and have for a while. I'm not ashamed and I do my best to "defend" SD respectfully here on this forum. Having said that, seriously, let it go! Don't come here looking to pick a fight! You won't win and you will just get drawn into petty arguments. Fred Sanford loves this. Ignore him. Serpent has no love for SD, but he will leave you alone as long as your not going around saying stupid things in "support" for your style (whatever style that may be. I don't think anyone knows what style he does anyway)

I didn't come here looking to defend my art. It came up because I listed it on my profile and I had questions regarding how many other styles believed that there were more than one Shaolin temple following in the tradition of the henan temple. YingYang I know you mean well but you will do yourself and SD a favor by responding to individual posts as they arise and not starting a thread to draw attention to SD. Be quiet in your confidence. I'll have your back if you do so.

norther practitioner
07-09-2003, 07:53 AM
One thing no one pointed out as of yet, this will be the one and only post on this thread by me...

YYD, do not validate yourself politicaly by showing others political tendancies and misgivings, it doesn't do anything for you.

MasterKiller
07-09-2003, 11:24 AM
It averages further down to 7.5 per month (90 divided by 12). Weekly that's UNDER 2 forms per week. If you train 7 days a week, 8 hours per day, that's NOT impossible at all... It takes me about 3 or 4 weeks to learn a form correctly, and then a few months of practice to be able to do it properly. If all you are doing is learning, when do you have time to practice? Or, learn to read? Or comb your mullet?

BeiTangLang
07-09-2003, 11:42 AM
What will you remember of them after the first month?

How accurate can the movements/nuances be with this short of a training/learning period?

What applications will you know?

How can you learn how each systems moves accurately without jumbling them up into a big wad of b/s?

I have not read the whole thread, but "It averages further down to 7.5 per month (90 divided by 12). Weekly that's UNDER 2 forms per week. If you train 7 days a week, 8 hours per day, that's NOT impossible at all..." Is just laughable & I had to comment.
Sorry for doing so in advance, but here it is non the less.

rubthebuddha
07-09-2003, 11:48 AM
i'm only working on two forms right now (siu nim tau and chum kiu) and sometimes my hands get them mixed up after more than four years of practice. i'd hate to see how ugly it'd be if i had, say, 363 forms by now.

Kuen
07-09-2003, 11:55 AM
I guess the people who take years to learn and hone one or two forms must just be slow learners. Just think how much better Yip Man and Sum Nung would've been had they learned from Sin The'!

Shaolin-Do
07-09-2003, 12:11 PM
I know golden **** enters cave technique.

Shaolin-Do
07-09-2003, 12:13 PM
I also have golden c o c k exits cave as well.

Sorry... Im just really bored of SD threads.
We were almost moving on to legitemate kung fu threads.

Fred Sanford
07-09-2003, 02:23 PM
I would just like to take this opportunity to state that I have absolutely no respect for anyone who studies shaolin-do. You are all idiots.