PDA

View Full Version : my best friend blew his ******* head off . ..

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-11-2001, 10:35 PM
my best friend moved to florida a couple years ago and i lost touch with him. nearly a year ago he blew his head of with a 45 slug and lived. one of my friends told me about it a couple weeks ago, but i didn't believe it until i saw him last night.

he didn't **** up ... he pointed it up underneath his chin and the bullet went straight through his brain. his jaw was hanging in pieces and had to be rebuilt with metal plates. he has scars along his scalp where they pulled his face down from his skull to clean the bone fragments and rebuild the entire top front of his head with bone cement. they also had to sew his tongue back on. the weirdest thing, though, is the permanent hole he has going from the roof of his mouth all the way to the top of his head. he wears a retainer like thing so that he can talk right.

he was alive and dead for five days. the doctors were talking to his mother about pulling the plug when he suddenly started breathing on his own again. when he woke up he said that he was extremely ****ed off but couldn't yell at the doctors for taking away his choice as his jaw had just been rebuilt and was wired shut. though he doesn't remember walking up on to the bridge and actually pulling the trigger, he knew what had happened and couldn't keep the thousands of images of what he must look like from flooding over him. he spent about a month pumped so full of morphine that almost all of it is unremembered. he spent months in the hospital and ate through a tube in his stomach for quite a while after he went home while his jaw and the hole in the roof of his mouth healed. the hole did close up allot but is still about the size of a dime and will not get any smaller.

all and all he made out better than i could have ever imagined possible. his face (including his jaw) looks fine and his hair covers all the scars on his scalp. underneath his chin is pretty messed up, but his goatee hides some of it and it's not a place that most people pay allot of attention to anyway. When he tilts his head back you can see how it kind of dips in on one side. he cant do math worth **** now (he used to be really good at it) and he says that sometimes it's hard for him to talk quickly off the top of his head like he used to be able to, but he has no other recognizable brain damage. that may even fix itself over time (imo not the doctors). not only is it amazing that he lived, but that he isn't a vegetable and has no damage to his personality. still the same ol' todd. though angry at first, he is really happy to be alive now. he feels that he lived for some purpose. he's not a reborn again christian, i don't think, but he seems to feel that someone had to be with him during those days when the doctors struggled to keep him alive even with the machines.

i wish i could tell the person who called in the incident that he is still alive. he would have saw nothing but blood, brains, and half of a face. he was likely quite dead at the time. the look of shock at seeing him alive would be beyond words i'm sure.

where's my beer?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-11-2001, 10:38 PM
on a side note he hasn't lost his sence of humor at all. in fact he even makes jokes about the whole situation. he made a stupid decision and got lucky, but he truly is a hell of a guy.

he says how having no sense of smell comes in awful handy sometimes.

after he told me the story he said, "but i can do something really cool now mike." then he took a drink of his beer and blew it out his nose.

where's my beer?

Chang Style Novice
10-11-2001, 10:39 PM
God****. I'm glad I don't have any stories like that for the forum.

Best wishes to you and yours GDA, and especially to your friend.

Arioch7
10-11-2001, 10:41 PM
I wish I could say the same thing about a friend of mine.

He used a .357 MAgnum and he is dead. Someone stole the gun without even phoning it in. Friggin' scumbag!

I am glad that your friend is alive and doing reasonably well.

Martial Joe
10-11-2001, 10:41 PM
That is something I dont read everyday...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-11-2001, 10:42 PM
i didn't think it was possible. not without being a complete veggetable, but he's living proof.

where's my beer?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-11-2001, 10:49 PM
that ******* sucks arioch . . .

i can't believe someone would do that and then not even bother to call it in.

******* heartless *******.

where's my beer?

Arioch7
10-11-2001, 10:56 PM
Yeah, he went to a state park and there are a lot of strange people in there.

Unfortunately, he was a Nurse and I am sure he did everything right... although life can be funny.

I appreciate the sentiment. It was about two months ago. I still cat believe it. He was a Small Circle Jujitsu stylist.

The moral of the story is you can never know what someone is REALLY thinking. Hell, I dont know what I am really thinking half of the time. I just know that you have to be in a lot of pain to do that to yourself.

As to your friend, he will probably be fine. Its amazing but it has been proven(SOMETIMES!) that when someone has thier brain damaged that other areas of the brain can take over some of the workload(So to speak.).

I hope he is happy that he received a second chance!

Water Dragon
10-11-2001, 11:00 PM
I have a friend who shot himself in the head about ten years ago. You can see the entry hole in his temple and the exit wound through his cheek bone on the other side. All he lost was his sight. Still, he claims that helped him to really "see" for the first time.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-11-2001, 11:46 PM
"Hell, I dont know what I am really thinking half of the time."

LOL! aint that the friggen truth.

where's my beer?

diego
10-12-2001, 12:58 AM

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

Arioch7
10-12-2001, 01:43 AM
? You lost me there, man. Diego, that is.

atsai
10-12-2001, 02:09 AM
How old was he when he attempted to blew his head off and what kind bullet did he use?

I doubt any brain damage is repairable. There're stories of people who lived w/ half of the brain gone. This confirmed the belief that no one really wants to die. I can really understand the feeling of born-again after a failed attempted. But sometimes you never know if they fully recovered mentally and restored their hope and will to live--especially the quality of life is diminished. Sigh..., life sucks, eh?

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art Tsai " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

SevenStar
10-12-2001, 07:15 AM
I too had a friend that tried this but didn't survive.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
" - nightair

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-16-2001, 11:22 PM
art ... he was 24 - 25 and used a 45 slug.

i have heard that when one part of the brain is damaged another part can take over to try and compensate. is that bs or is there at least some truth to the matter?

either way i'm just curious. i dont think it matters to him one way or another. anyone who has known him before would have no idea anything happened to him if he didn't tell them (at least by talking to him .. there are scars of course). he just lost a bit of his math ability, he feels like he has to think a little more about what he's going to say. you and i would never notice ... he doesn't talk any slower than he used to .. just feels like he does.

he also says that his short term memory is shot, but he likes his pot so it's not a real big loss.

where's my beer?

KC Elbows
10-16-2001, 11:24 PM
That is true about the brain to an extent. There is still a loss, but it is minimized.