PDA

View Full Version : Sun De Yao Seminar in NYC

Dachengdao
07-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Greetings Mantis Friends!
Hao-style Northern Plum Blossom Mantis Grandmaster Sun De Yao will be returning to NYC September 27th and 28th 2003 for an intensive seminar on the basics, higher fighting forms (zhai yao), and internalizing the movements. He is the grandson (and spitting image) of the famous Grandmaster Hao Heng Lu. His teacher was Hao Heng Lu's son (Sun De Yao's uncle), Hao Bin (My teacher's father). Sun De Yao is known for his patience, over-teaching the forms, and his many practical applications of the movements. I've attached a flier, and you may contact me for more information.
Hope to see some of you there!

Dachengdao
07-08-2003, 06:50 PM
If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll email the flier to you. Also, keep watching future issues of INSIDE KUNGFU magazine for Sun De Yao's article!

RAF
07-09-2003, 02:05 PM
Its good to hear that Sun De Yao will be giving seminars. I can't say enough good things about him that I haven't already said.

Please give him my regards and I hope he will give a couple of seminars at the Hall of Fame Tournament in Canton, Ohio, October 5.

Looking forward to reading your article.

Later.

Dachengdao
07-31-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi Dr. RAF!
Yes, Master Sun will head out with us to Ohio for Master Yang's tournament where he will conduct seminars again this year. For those who are interested in seeing Sun in Ohio, please contact Master Tony Yang.
As for the article in IKF, it will be in the January 2004 edition. It was slated for December, but since October's cover story will be on a Mantis master, they moved back the date.
Do you have the tournament flier you can post? I'm bringing students to compete, and I am looking forward to meeting you and your teacher!

count
07-31-2003, 10:31 AM
RAF is off in China still, I think. I doubt he's checking the forums. Here is a link (http://www.wutangcenter.com/tournament.htm) to the Ohio tournament information. I look forward to meeting you there.

yu shan
08-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Dachengdao

Thank you for the heads up! The NYC venue, my folks do not have alot of funds. Is there a "school" folks can bed down?

Will Sun De Yao be teaching the same material in Ohio?

Have a good day.

MantisifuFW
08-05-2003, 02:14 PM
I too will be going to Ohio for the tournament. I can say that the study of Dachengdao is facinating, having spent a weekend with Shifu Wang on this topic. I highly recommend it!

Steve Cottrell

RAF
08-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Those of you interested in getting a feel for what a seminar with Sun De Yao is like, check out the video clips:

http://www.dcdkungfu.com/

Dachengdao has put up some clippings from workshops with Sun De Yao and they pretty much illustrate how he teaches.

With regard to forms, I have watched him go over and over the entire forms, playing along side of the participants for the entire workshop.

The sword he teaches is really a favorite among students.

There has never been a complaint regarding anything Master Sun has taught while he was here in Ohio.

Its my guess that Master Sun will teach a few workshops here in Ohio beyond the Tournament but that is only a guess.

BTW:

Also check out Dachengdao's own clipping and performance. Its top rate. He's got to be one of the top practitioners from Yan Tai/Qingdao region and learning Mantis from him might be worth checking out.

MantisifuFW
08-18-2003, 06:42 AM
Greetings,

As the Ohio tournament is coming up soon. I wanted to bring the seminar up again as it has been some time since we discussed it.

I plan to be there, though I will be judging Wing Chun. I hope that others on this forum who can be there will come for the seminar and to get together at some point and get to know each other.

Steve Cottrell

Dachengdao
08-26-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi Friends!
It's been a while since I checked back, so sorry I haven't responded to anyone. Yushan, if you get a chance to come to NY, I can hook you guys up in Flushing Chinatown for $30 - $40 a night. If you come in a group, we can work out a discount. Shoot me an email at dachengdao@yahoo.com
Of course, if you were planning on attending Tony Yang's tournament, better to see Sun De Yao there.
Here in NY he will be teaching Zhai Yao Second Form. We will also drill and correct the basics which are common to most styles, and show you the fundamental differences of Hao style Plum Blossom.
I'm looking forward to seeing Sifu Cottrell again, and meeting Count finally! Not to mention Seeing Tony Yang, RAF, Andy, and all the Wudang gang.