PDA

View Full Version : Head swap photo

DarthGorn
07-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Hi there, I am new to the site and to WC. I have been looking around the net at different WC websites and found something about Leung Ting. It stated that he had doctored a photo of himself with GGM Ip Man. Is this true, does anyone have any information on this event? I have got a copy of his book Wing Tsun Kuen and it's pretty good, he seems to be a man of great integrity and this would cast some doubt about him training with the GGM.

reneritchie
07-09-2003, 09:08 AM
I've seen 3 distinct versions of the same photo. Each one has the identical Yip Man, one with Leung Ting, one with another man (forget his name), and one who I can't quite identify...

rubthebuddha
07-09-2003, 09:11 AM
another dead horse ;)

i suggest reading what gm leung ting has on his website: http://www.leungting.com/headchange.htm

reneritchie
07-09-2003, 09:17 AM
RTB- Hopefully he will address the 3rd photo soon! :)

Frank Exchange
07-09-2003, 09:19 AM
This is real old news, and the topic is likely to get banned, as it could stir up all sorts of underlying tensions etc.

It is entirely possible that Leung Ting did it as a marketing attempt to establish legitimacy re Yip Man, the photos I have seen convince me that this is what probably happened.

I am a WSL student, so not of the same lineage, however, I dont think that this manipulation, if it happened, invalidates his current skill, or the skills of his students, or necessarily casts doubt on the validity of his entire organization.

Regardless of what happened back then, what matters is whether the organization teaches valid skills today? And I think it does.

rubthebuddha
07-09-2003, 09:22 AM
:D

rene, you caught me totally off with that.

maybe that's how gm yip man developed such strong hands -- punching all the bling bling. ;)

DarthGorn
07-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
another dead horse ;)

i suggest reading what gm leung ting has on his website: http://www.leungting.com/headchange.htm

Hi, that was the site that I saw the article. Obviously he would deny it, I was just interested in what others thought about it and if they had any information in regards to this so called doctored photo.

rubthebuddha
07-09-2003, 09:25 AM
frank,

i was about to say the same, but he started off with "i'm a newby to WC." that made me want to give him some leniency. but only a smidgeon. :)

i agree with you -- the organization DOES teach valid skills. now, if only i could acquire some of that skill, i'd be happy. :o

reneritchie
07-09-2003, 09:31 AM
RTB - I think you just uncovered the secret to Golden Bell! Blang blang!!

rubthebuddha
07-09-2003, 09:38 AM
rene -- and i did it before my caffeine kicked in. i'm extra proud. :D

darth -- i suggest doing a search of the archives. i don't want to put you off, but this is one of a pretty robust list that gets all sortsa people's panties in a bunch on this forum. you are right -- i doubt anyone would admit to actually doctoring a photo if that is indeed the case, but as frank pointed out -- it doesn't really matter. gm leung ting knows his stuff, and can teach the stuff, and has instructors under him who can also teach the stuff. and that's why we're here -- to get good at the stuff. :)

reneritchie
07-09-2003, 10:18 AM
RTB - Just make sure you do you Chi Sao grinds! That ain't no jibba jabba!

rubthebuddha
07-09-2003, 10:39 AM
:D

i pity the foo who first learns poon sau with bling on his arms -- the shoulders must kill.

AdrianUK
07-10-2003, 12:20 AM
I am of the WT lineage and in a lot of Leung Tings books theres other photos of him with Yip Man so he must have been busy if he faked them all !

black and blue
07-10-2003, 12:50 AM
While the pic in question does look a bit dodgy... as Frank said... what does it matter. If Leung Ting has skill and teaching ability, that is the most important thing.

I couldn't care less who my Sifu learnt from, or who he has pictures of... he has good Wing Chun, has real fighting ability, and has a good way of teaching/explaining. The fact that he never met Yip Man means nothing to me.

Rene,

The Devil is in the details, as Joy likes to say. Your Mr T Chi Sau pic is a wonderful thing because you even went to the effort of putting bracelets on the arms... :D

DarthGorn
07-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Thansk for the replies. I have no doubt that Leung Ting can do his stuff and his organisation seems to be well run. I just found it a bit strange that the photo looks to be so obviously a fake. I will check in the archive to see what I can find out. Thanks for your help.