PDA

View Full Version : How many times do you guys have fought in the street?

Twinsen
11-07-2000, 12:51 AM
Greetings my friends,

Since that I have heard many stories about some of you guys fighting in the street! Actually, how many times do you guys have fought before in the street or somewhere else?

thanks,

~Guybrush~

vingtsunstudent
11-07-2000, 06:38 AM
i think you'll find most people don't like to brag but i'll try & give you my big headed response.
from a sensitive new age guys way of looking at it--- to many times.
from a martial artists/ fighters way--- nowhere near enough.
sorry but i don't real have a diary that i count them in.
vts

Subitai
11-07-2000, 12:05 PM
For me it depends on what period of my life:

For sure after college: 5 and these are my most memorable.

After moving to CA. I calmed down alot.

College and High School: For sure more than ten

Junior high and below: If you add this...like 30.

To me this timelime is not too credible for skill gain. However I do believe that alot of mental attitude and toughness grows alot here.
It's parallels are seen clearly in Boxing. How many times have you heard the cliche = "He grew up on the mean streets"?

Grays Anatomy
11-07-2000, 03:54 PM
This changed as I got older - I would have to agree that most of the fighting was done in High School - again - too many.

Not much after that though - a couple here and a couple there. Got jumped twice on the streets after college.

I never much cared for fighting.

rogue
11-07-2000, 05:44 PM
About six fights or muggings, and you could fit them all on a video that's under 15 minutes long.

I used to be daga

Black Jack
11-07-2000, 06:53 PM
To many times for me to be happy about it.

All of them pretty short and to the point.

Regards

Twinsen
11-08-2000, 10:31 PM
Greetings,

I heard that fights just happen in our life 1 or 2 times. Why some martial artis have never fought before in the street or school?

thanks

~Guybrush~
"I am a water"

Silence
12-06-2000, 11:19 PM
One of the best things that I have learned that improves my personal abillities is working in a night club as security. Forget going out and starting a fight on the streets that is just plain stupid. The reason behind working at this kind of training is the fact that you have to keep your focus on about 200 people at a time this teaches you to use all of your vission and creates focus of your mind. The second teaching is reaction to a situation from the focus that you should get after working just one night. The third and final teaching is the ability to use all of that martial arts training that you have practiced in a real world fight, becuase lets face it if you try to break up a fight you end up fighting from the center out.
I would say that on an average though I get into about 2 fights a week when you look at it like that.

Silent is my fist, and blind is your eye to me.

obiwan
12-07-2000, 04:42 AM
I've been in one serious fight stopping this guy beating up his own girl friend.

However, I'd prefer to count the times I've talked my way OUT OF A FIGHT! :D

I'm happy to say that part of my martial arts training is in how to defuse a situation, and it has worked many many times.

I think this is a far better statistic because it shows how many times you were successful, rather than failing and being forced into a fight.

I realise that sometimes you get jumped and you have no choice so i wont count those, but what about the times when someone beligerent comes up? Or someone is drunk?
Or someone mistakens you for someone else?

Control of the situation without violence should be your first and strongest line of defence. Failing that, youput yourself in jeopardy no matter how good a fighter you are.

cheers and here's hoping you all dont get into any serious fights for ya life time! :)

The Force will be with you...always

MASTERMAN
12-07-2000, 04:52 PM
This is a hard question to answer but here it goes... I have had about a dozen incidents of those about 10 were self defense 2 were to prove a point. What I mean by prove a point is I decided to shut 2 "meatheads" down.

Normally I think in terms of self defense so the other 10 were quick reactions to ugly situations. Especially in NYC subways...

Thanks Twinsen I feel like I used to after confession-a time to reflect.

You have the POWER....
Dave S

wisdom mind
12-07-2000, 09:42 PM
I have always diffused situations or only used sidestepping to redirect attack, never had to "fight". Been attempted robbed too many times to remember....grew up in a getto only white kid so howabout 1.75 robberyattempts a day for 17 years. Never had to fight.

In NYC how do attacks happen on trains?....any specific train or time?

peace

Buby
12-07-2000, 11:37 PM
Burn the Wikked - Try ridding the J line through east NY or the F through smith 9th st. Then you'll be asking yourself, **** how did I get in this mess. Those train lines are where a lot of stick up kids be, not to mention running into Bloods and Crips(Mainly Bloods).

Twinsen - All together too too many for my age. Brought up in a pretty tough neighborhood surrounded by projects so you really had no choice but to rep or get delt with. Whats a young man to do, go around getting robbed and stomped on everyday. Nah none of that!!

"I never did nothing to nobody who did have it coming to them" - Scarface

-Bu

MASTERMAN
12-08-2000, 01:58 AM
NYC My episodes happened usually after "rush" hour 8p.m to 11p.m.

Decisions are made quickly.

"you have the POWER"

Fist Law,

Dave S

[This message was edited by MASTERMAN on 12-08-00 at 06:06 PM.]