PDA

View Full Version : Old Chen Clips: Pre_Chen Fake

RAF
07-09-2003, 11:10 AM
Jarek has most graciously provided links to GM Du Yu Ze. GM Du leaned from Chen Fake's father, Chen Yan Xi and also the xiao jia form. I believe that GM Du is 79 or 80 in the clip of his performance. I think Master Du's students might be playing a version or combination of xiao/da jia. The opening actually can be done with a kick form the left foot. I once saw a clip of Feng Zhiqiang open his form that way.

__________________________________________________ _

Posted by Jarek Szymanski on July 10, 2003, 1:35 am

Chen Style Taijquan 1st Routine performed by Du Yuzhi's students:
http://www.kongfu.org/wmv/TAICHI_1ST_FIST-1.WMV
(4.61MB)

http://www.kongfu.org/wmv/TAICHI_1ST_FIST-2.WMV
(9.63MB)

and the most important clip - Du Yuzhi demonstrating TJQ:

http://www.kongfu.org/film/fist/TU_taichi.wmv
(2.91MB)

Du Yuzhi (Tu Yu-tse) was a student of Chen Yanxi (Chen Fake's father, Large Frame of Chen style,) and Chen Minbiao (Small Frame and Hulei Frame)

(links originally posted on wushuweb.com)

Jarek

__________________________________________________ __

lstern
07-09-2003, 04:55 PM
Great clips. Many thanks to you and Jarek.

Laughing Cow
07-09-2003, 04:57 PM
RAF.

Thanks, for providing the links.
I need to head more often over to Jarek's site myself.

Great vids.

RAF
07-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Jarek is the man, not me. I just got pretty excited to see some of GM Du Ye Zhi's students play. I had already see GM Du's tape previously but I really enjoyed his students.

Thank Jarek, he is one of the shining lights in the preservation of traditional Chinese martial arts.

Laughing Cow
07-09-2003, 06:13 PM
RAF.

I also thank you for sharing what you find with us, it showed me a different side of the style I am studying.

Many would simply keep quiet and not share what they find.

Thanks.

RAF
07-09-2003, 06:37 PM
Laughing Cow:

Thanks. The style I play is similar to all 3 tapes of Du Yu Ze but it was influenced by Wong Meng Bi (Chen Fake student prior to 1940 and as we discussed previously, referred to as xiao jia) and GM Liu's suggestions based on his exchange with Chen Fake in 1928, Beijing. My form is even more direct and not as "fancy" as the first two clips.

Jarek also posted some other substyles of Chen Taijiquan but some take a long time to download and I really don't understand some of the theory and movement behind Hu Lei Jia---but its all interesting.

Later.

Laughing Cow
07-09-2003, 06:51 PM
RAF.

Thanks, this gives me a better idea of what your Chen tjq looks like.

And I agree it differs from what I am taught.

Cheers.

RAF
07-09-2003, 07:14 PM
Laughing Cow:

Over the years there are a lot of personal takes on variations of Chen's taijiquan. I think I've seen some of what you are learning based on the video Roam About the Taiji World. I like it and find all of it fascinating. I am soon going to Beijing and will try to buy the Chen STyle 108 Forms Long Fist by Chen, Yung Fu. Even within the system I practice there is variation in take and flavor of the forms.

Its always good to see the flavor of others. Differences don't bother me as much as when I first started out. I naively believed that there was one and only one standard form for Chen's and Yang's. I am also a big Wang Peishang fan, too.

Later.

Brad
07-09-2003, 09:07 PM
cool clips... interesting how much it looks like Yang style in places :)

Laughing Cow
07-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Brad
cool clips... interesting how much it looks like Yang style in places :)

Yep, noticed that too.

RAF.

If you don't mind downloading a largish Video file I can upload a sequence from my Teacher's Tape where he does a Demo.

chen zhen
07-10-2003, 05:06 AM
When I try to watch the videos, there's just the sound and a black screen in the wmv window. What happened?:confused:

RAF
07-10-2003, 05:20 AM
Sorry Laughing Cow but that computer work if for the big guys. Its too bad we can't all contribute a performance or two by our teachers and put together a DVD called "Variations: The Range and Play of Chen's Taijiquan".

Yeah Brad, I've watched the entire clip of GM Du Yu Ze and from the "brush knees", "lift hands" I can pretty much map out a version of Yang's Taijiquan. Its not a perfect one-to-one map by any means, but this pretty much convinced me of Yang's derivation and its evolutionalry relationships to the old flavors of Chen.

I use Media Player and can download just about any of the clips. Don't forget to look at the other posts by Jarek. They have the He style, Xiao Jia (also different) Hu Lei Jia etc,.

Later.