PDA

View Full Version : JKDer's, what is your opinion?

Yung Apprentice
07-10-2003, 01:34 PM
On Hsing-Yi? Have any of you sparred against a Hsing-Yi practioner? How did u fair, and what are you theories on attacking and defending? (assuming of course they all fought that way)

Does anyone know what was Bruce Lee's opinion on Hsing-Yi? Did he ever train in it?

HuangKaiVun
07-13-2003, 06:22 PM
I don't think Lee ever trained Xingyiquan.

He sure didn't adapt his combat style to their heavy-handed methods.

I don't know anybody nowadays who practices Xingyiquan in a way that would scare your average street tough, but I hope I meet somebody good at Hsing Yi combat one day.

That said, we have a male Caucasian student at our school who specializes in Xingyiquan. He's got a very angular build and weighs over 200 lbs at 5'10", so when he hits you it HURTS. He's as quick as I am (and I'm a little Chinese guy), so you can't get away from him either.

He also has studied Xingyi's circular properties, so he knows how to sidestep and lock you with his arms or legs. He specializes in heng chuan done with a LEG (grabs your arm with both hands when you're down, then uses his legs to dislocate your shoulder).

TenTigers
07-15-2003, 06:37 AM
I think you would have to ask Tim Tackett, or one of his students, as he is one of the top JKD guys, AND practices Hsing=Yi.

Kymus
07-16-2003, 06:53 PM
I've read about Hsing I, and I'd really like to learn it. Unfortunatly, no one near here teaches it.

Ford Prefect
07-17-2003, 08:51 AM
I've never seen Xing-Yi live, but it's an interesting system. I've never liked traditional footwork and stances much except for bagua. I doubt many JKD practitioners will have seen Xing Yio or sparred it since going to JKD. I haven't fought any traditional people since going to the combat sports and JKD.