PDA

View Full Version : Hua question

Judge Pen
07-10-2003, 02:46 PM
You northern guys out there, do any of you practice hua kung fu? I understand it is a type of longfist. What is your understanding of its origin?

I'm learning the first classical hua form and was looking for some background information but haven't found a lot outside of my school. Since it was referenced here from time to time I was wondering if anyone had more information or a link to a website, an old KFQG article, or book for some outside reading. Thanks.

norther practitioner
07-10-2003, 02:54 PM
check here (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=23442)

also use the search function:D

Judge Pen
07-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Thanks.

norther practitioner
07-11-2003, 11:32 AM
Did you find out enough?
that was a good article that gene posted too.

Judge Pen
07-11-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Did you find out enough?
that was a good article that gene posted too.

I printed the article off to read at my leisure. The other thread helped a lot too and I posted another question for NS there. Thanks again.

Brad
07-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Which Hua? There's at least two of them.

Judge Pen
07-14-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Brad
Which Hua? There's at least two of them.

Well, I don't know. The hua forms that are taught in SD are referred as "classical" and the forms each form is known as either as a "road" of a "book" of hua. There are four of them and two 2-man sets. An "example" of one of the forms is seen at the Atlanta SD site, but I don't know enough about it to know whether the woman performs it properly or not.

What I've seen, and been taught, of the 1st "road" is nice, but I wanted to see what you guys knew of this form also.

Brad
07-14-2003, 06:51 AM
Here's defenitions for both taken from the book Kungfu Elements:

"Huaquan:Translated as Flower Fist. According to legend, this style was created by Gan Fengchi of the Qing Dynasty. It is a short range style. Huaquan focuses on offensive and defensive techniques. There are over eighty-eight specific fighting and takedown techniques."

"Huaquan:Translated as Hua Mountain Fist. Legend has it, that this style was created by the Cai brothers during the Song Dynasty in the Sandong area. The Cai brothers were promenent Wushu practitioners who taught their relatives their Wushu. Because their ancestors were originally from the Hua Mountains, their style was later named Huaquan.

Another explanation for the naming of this style is believed to be from the training of jing, qi, and shen. Jing, qi, and shen are also known as the three hua, or three pure essences. By combining the three hua into one it becomes Huaquan. Huaquan is classified as Changquan."

Judge Pen
07-14-2003, 06:58 AM
Brad:

Thanks for the information. I believe it is Hua Mountain Fist. My teacher says it originated at Hua Mountain and was inspried by the terrain there. Hence lots of transitions from very low stances to higher stances during the forms. I've been told that there was a non-martial temple in the Hua mountains and these forms were practiced there for excercise.

BTW, who is the author of Kungfu Elements?

MasterKiller
07-14-2003, 07:39 AM
The Hua mountain fist is sometimes called Hua Family Chuan, at least that's how I've always seen it.

There is also another Hua Chuan which translates as "Essence Boxing." When Guo Jihanna talked to my Sifu about it, he would call it "The other Hua" to differentiate between Flower boxing and Essence boxing.

Judge Pen
07-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
The Hua mountain fist is sometimes called Hua Family Chuan, at least that's how I've always seen it.

There is also another Hua Chuan which translates as "Essence Boxing." When Guo Jihanna talked to my Sifu about it, he would call it "The other Hua" to differentiate between Flower boxing and Essence boxing.

MK,

When you reviewed the Atlanta SD site, did you see the woman doing what was labeled "2nd Road of Hua"? What was your assesment? Did you recognize the form's techniques?

I hope I'm not trolling my own style. ;)

Also, what are the fundamental differences between Fower boxing and Essence boxing and how is this different from Hua Family Chuan?

MasterKiller
07-14-2003, 09:08 AM
FWIW, Hua Family Chuan is also called China Style Boxing. I'm not very familiar with it, so she could have been doing a form from that style. Hua Family Chuan is characterized by fast strikes, deep breathing and by holding some stances motionless during the forms.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hua Family Chuan names it forms like SD has them--i.e. Hua One, Hua Two, etc...

Jet Li does some Hua Family Chuan in the movie "Fist of Legend" when he's working out with his buddy in the campfire scene.

Flower Boxing has a lot of throws and takedowns. It can be thought of as almost a style of wrestling and falling methods.

Someone else will have to chime in on Essence Boxing. My details are a little vague.

Judge Pen
07-14-2003, 01:08 PM
FWIW, Hua Family Chuan is also called China Style Boxing. I'm not very familiar with it, so she could have been doing a form from that style. Hua Family Chuan is characterized by fast strikes, deep breathing and by holding some stances motionless during the forms.

Also, I'm pretty sure Hua Family Chuan names it forms like SD has them--i.e. Hua One, Hua Two, etc...

Jet Li does some Hua Family Chuan in the movie "Fist of Legend" when he's working out with his buddy in the campfire scene.

Flower Boxing has a lot of throws and takedowns. It can be thought of as almost a style of wrestling and falling methods.

Someone else will have to chime in on Essence Boxing. My details are a little vague.

Again, thanks. I haven't been able to find much and that is compouned by the different styles called Hua Chuan. I haven't seen Fist of Legend. I'll check it out also.

MasterKiller
07-14-2003, 01:24 PM
I haven't seen Fist of Legend. Heathen.

Judge Pen
07-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Heathen.

:D

It's never too late to begin a proper education.

Brad
07-14-2003, 02:26 PM
BTW, who is the author of Kungfu Elements?
Liang Shou Yu & Wu Wen Qing. It's got a mini kungfu style encyclopedia in the back with pictures. You can find it for sale right here: http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/bw005.html :D

Oso
07-17-2003, 05:55 PM
looks ok, but is it worth the money??

Ironmantis
07-21-2003, 02:11 PM
From what I understand, it developed by the monks on Hua Mountain. Due to the nature of the temple (on the high peaks and faces of Hua), there was a lot of jumping from rock to rock for practice. The monks took this as part of practice for their kung fu.

This emulation of jumping from rock to rock is very good in application for getting away from an enemey and also for closing the distance.

I have studied a little Hua in my kung fu school (we teach the Hua system) and it is very physically demanding, but fun.

Hope this helps.

I.M.

NorthernShaolin
07-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Hua Mountain Fist is the same as Essence Boxing.

MasterKiller
07-22-2003, 06:31 AM
Hua Mountain Fist is the same as Essence Boxing. Really? Why the distinction, then? I've always seen Essence boxing listed along side China-Style boxing when it comes to Long-Fist styles.

Usually, you will see long-fist described as a combination of any of the following styles: Cha Chuan (Cha-family style), Hua (flower) Chuan, China-style Chuan, Paochui (cannon) Chuan, Hong-family Chuan, Red-style Chuan, Shaolin Chuan, Fanzi (tumbling) Chuan, and Hua (Essence) Chuan.

Isn't Hua Family Chuan the same as China-Style Chuan? If so, why would Essence boxing be listed along side China-Style Chuan?

NorthernShaolin
07-22-2003, 09:41 AM
MasterKiller,

I do not know why except maybe the one in question, is a more recent develpment?

MasterKiller
07-22-2003, 10:16 AM
I've been trying to find some online info for Essence Boxing, but I have come up short. Did you find a reference to it somewhere as being the same as Hua mountain style?

NorthernShaolin
07-22-2003, 10:22 AM
I attempting to locate that particular material. I do remember something about that but I can't place my hand on it yet.