PDA

View Full Version : How do you spend time training?

S.Teebas
07-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Hi,

What percentages do you think would reap the most benifits for training time?

100% on chi sau
or
50% chi sau - 50% forms
or
25% chi sau - 50% forms - 25% sparing
or
50%drills - 10% forms - 40% chi sau

Or somthing totally different??

Im interested to see different ideas across the board. What do think is good?

old jong
07-11-2003, 09:49 AM
We do everything exepted kickboxing. The proportions may vary depending on the needs of the moment.

PaulH
07-11-2003, 09:53 AM
This question would generate many answers due to each person's respective training goals. I am now training a new WC fighting method to enhance my previous WC study, so I would have to spent more time in learning drills instead of forms, chi sau or sparring just to get used to the skills to be mastered in them.

"The art of living deliberately is the art of examining this vast storehouse of beliefs, dropping the out-moded ones, consciously choosing those that serve your goals, and carefully crafting new ones in greatest alignment with your desires. - Richard Bishop "

Regards,

S.Teebas
07-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Hi Old jong,

What about fitness... Do you think thats important? - or is that classed as kickboxing?

old jong
07-11-2003, 10:10 AM
Hey S.Teebas.
We work hard.Fitness comes with it.

Ernie
07-11-2003, 02:45 PM
different ideas you say o.k.

forms = for the first couple of years all the time now hardly every only when i have to teach some one .

chi sau = initially before i had a clue i wouldchi sau almost the entire class and with all the people i could get my hands on now only short spurts when i'm trying to refine a cetain concept or understand a theory , i use it mostly to let younger students try and take it to me and i just work defense and control or redirection , why you ask , well if i turn it on it's over to quick and if i play with people of my skill or greater , you really can't work the control and senstivity part , there just to good so we would have to pound on each other and that gets no where fast .

i still spend a lot of time on 'dummy and pole '' and the rest on reflex drills , or conceptual drills this is a better lab for me to refine my coordination and clairity of each action and hand and body combination

sparring once a week outside of class '' this includes stick and knife , hands and feet ,ground or standing '' i don't waste my time on doing this with wing chun brothers this is only against and with other styles

conditioning
4 days a week wieghts[ full body hard core] , boxing ,kick boxing[ heavy bag ,focus mitts partner drills ] , spinning ,running, plyo's, sprints,and pilates /stretching
to me conditioniong is paramount there is no excuse for being sloppy or short winded if you consider your self a real martial arts especially if your body is the tool which you use to express your art

well thar was at least this week all subject to change based on my mood and energy

foolinthedeck
07-11-2003, 04:31 PM
as much chi sao as possible
if u meet someone else who does wing chun u might as well make the most of it. drills are the only other thing you cant do alone.

chi sao
drills
forms
horse
pole

that order. cant afford a dummy.

i'd go for 90% chi sao. but thats just me

Sam
07-12-2003, 05:54 AM
In Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen we start with Hei-Gung and stretching. Then forms practice. Then breaking down forms and two man forms. Then practice drills ie, Lop Sao, Don Chi Sao, sometimes grappling and anti grappling. Then Chi Sao, many different variations. At times we do full body armore fighting. Sometimes we work with bag equipment or wooden dummy and weapons. We also do traditional conditioning training such as jar or pole work. Of course the class will vary. http://www.geocities.com/wingchunbuddhahand/index.html

kj
07-12-2003, 06:20 AM
Hi Sam. What do you mean by "jar" work?

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Sam
07-12-2003, 08:10 AM
Hi kj, we use sand and water filled jars for strength and grip work. Fook and Hing sao are utilized.

kj
07-12-2003, 03:03 PM
Thanks, Sam. Are you using something like Mason jars?

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Sam
07-12-2003, 08:59 PM
We use many different types of jars. Some with a small mouth for the outer finger spread (fingers in the mouth of the jar). Some with a larger mouth for external gripping. http://www.geocities.com/wingchunbuddhahand/CONDITIONING.html

cha kuen
07-14-2003, 11:26 PM
Sam,

I went to your website that the 2 people doing chi sau with iron rings on their arms is very interesting. Those excercises I have seen before in Hung Gar and Eagle Claw.

However, what is the benefit of jumping onto a table?

Just wondering.

mun hung
07-15-2003, 12:08 AM
On external gripping of the jar - wouldn't it be more beneficial to grip the outer rim of the lid itself instead of under it?

on topic
1) stretching and various exercises
2) forms
3) chi sau
4) drills and applications

anerlich
07-15-2003, 12:48 AM
On external gripping of the jar - wouldn't it be more beneficial to grip the outer rim of the lid itself instead of under it?

Not if you drop the jar bacause of it, especially on your foot.

I think the balance can and should shift depending on your current long- and short-term training goals. You have to come back to a balance all the same, and do a bit of everything. Trying to pin it down to an eternal formula is too simplistic.

If you really want to get better, find your greatest weakness and work so hard on that that it ceases to be a weakness. Then you can see what your greatest weakness is then at that future time - it will be something different now - and work on that the same way. Continue. So you are always on the upward spiral

If you don't do that, you'll only ever be as strong as that weakest link. Goodbye!

kj
07-15-2003, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by anerlich
I think the balance can and should shift depending on your current long- and short-term training goals. You have to come back to a balance all the same, and do a bit of everything. Trying to pin it down to an eternal formula is too simplistic.

Bullseye.

Regards,
- kj

HuangKaiVun
07-15-2003, 02:25 PM
0% chi sau
10% forms (almost exclusively Siu Lum Tao)
10% weapons
80% sparring (with grappling, with weapons, with multiple opponents).

Sam
07-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Hello cha kuen,
The table jumping is a practice for light skills. The idea is to be able to jump from a standing position. This is to master organ movement and impulse power.

Ish
07-17-2003, 05:41 PM
Jumping's also very good for your leg strength

S.Teebas
07-18-2003, 03:22 AM
If you really want to get better, find your greatest weakness and work so hard on that that it ceases to be a weakness. Then you can see what your greatest weakness is then at that future time - it will be something different now - and work on that the same way. Continue. So you are always on the upward spiral

good advice! :)