PDA

View Full Version : Kuen/Kune?

chen zhen
07-11-2003, 01:01 PM
Why the difference in spelling? Is it pronounced differently, too?:confused:

Sho
07-11-2003, 01:52 PM
Just a western difference. ;)

Same Chinese character, same pronounciation (kün), but a different combination of alphabets.

dezhen2001
07-11-2003, 01:54 PM
could be a differene in dialect - cantonese and hokkien or something? :)

dawood

CLFNole
07-11-2003, 02:01 PM
It's how you say it not how you spell it.

Typically though:

kuen - fist (cantonese)
chuan - fist (mandarian)

Peace.

Sho
07-11-2003, 02:03 PM
Good point.

But in this case it's plain Cantonese. Both 'kuen' and 'kune' (as well as 'kyun') are "valid" Cantonese spelling methods.

chen zhen
07-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Kune I have only heard in connection with Jeet >Kune< Do, and Kuen in most southern styles.
I just wandered why JKD has it written "Kune".

How is Kuen pronounced? Kün, as Sho said?

saolim
07-11-2003, 02:56 PM
different spelling is caused by:

1. Dialects
2. Different methods of Romanization

Here's some more:

Quan = Mandarin in Modern Pinyin. Pronounce just like Chuan
Kun = is Hokkian spelling

does anybody have more spellings?

Fu-Pow
07-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Chen Zen-

It all depends on what romanization you are using. I think that the best romanization is Yale. It actually sounds more like the words really do in cantonese.

So in this case the Yale is Kyun.

There is a "ya" sound and "oo" sound like in moon. (Although the "oo" sound has a slight "r" sound behind it. )

Its hard to make your mouth in the right shape.

dezhen2001
07-11-2003, 09:08 PM
for mandarin i prefer pinyin :)

once u get used to the Q, X, Z and stuff it is ok, and also just looks plain cooler lol

dawood

chen zhen
07-12-2003, 03:18 AM
OK thanks, that cleared it a bit.:)

Sho
07-12-2003, 05:30 AM
But the 'u' is pronounced like 'ü' in German.

chen zhen
07-12-2003, 05:55 AM
So u actually say "Wing Chun Kün", when u pronounce it?
ok..:confused:

TenTigers
07-12-2003, 07:29 AM
yeah, pinyan is great. The Chinese Gov't decided to use our alphabet but change the meanings of the letters. Q-without the u is pronounced ch,as in Qi, but qu is pronounced Ch, as in Quan,x is pronounced sh,as in Xing-Yi. wonderful-great logic. Hey, while we're at it, why don't we also use the numeral two for 17, and all zeros will be written as 4's? Is there a reasonable, sensible explanation why simple phonetic spelling couldn't be used? Even Yale and Wade-Giles was better, although Ch'i pronounced 'chi' and chi pronounced 'ji' still doesn't cut it. I always wondered why they simply didn't spell chi c-h-i, and ji j-i?
I always get a big kick out of people telling me they study 'TaijiKWAN", or Shaolin KWAN, or KWEEGONG.
XIIX !!! (pronounced Sheesh!) Holy Xit!

chen zhen
07-12-2003, 07:55 AM
I actually heard a Taijiquan Sifu who pronounced it Tai-Kee-Kwan...
:rolleyes::plol

Sho
07-12-2003, 08:19 AM
I think pinyin is excellent for its precision (which is also simple to abide by once understood), but Wade-Giles suits better for the majority of the people who are more or less unfamiliar with Chinese.

The -ing suffixes in Cantonese are pronounced more like -eng, therefore Weng Tsun Kün.

Taijiquan is Tai Gik Kuen in Cantonese. ;)

chen zhen
07-12-2003, 08:54 AM
Taijiquan is Tai Gik Kuen in Cantonese.

I know;)

saolim
07-12-2003, 09:34 AM
PINYIN wasn't developed as a phonetic system; not to help foreigners pronounce Chinese.

Originally PINYIN was developed by and for the Chinese. The plan was to eliminate the (feudal) characters and replace them by PINYIN. That didn't happen, of course. Simplefied characters did came.

So pinyin is Chinese in every way; the 'logic' of trying to pronounce them as 'English' words doesn't work, most of the times.

It is now worldwide accepted in the scientific community as the official way to transcribe Mandarin.

In China (mainland) it is also used to teach children the right way of pronouncing Chinese and eliminate local accents (and mistakes).
This doesn't mean every Chinese (from the mainland, that is) actually knows how to use Pinyin correctly, but most people with some education do.

dezhen2001
07-12-2003, 10:44 AM
very interesting, thanks :)

dawood

GeneChing
07-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Pinyin was actually developed for the cyrrillic alphabet (Russian) which is why it doesn't work so well for our us. But it is the standard in the PRC and the UN, so any serious researcher has to grapple with it. Check out our glossary (http://www.gotqi.com/AcuGear.asp) since we've done it all in pinyin and phonetic Cantonese.

chen zhen
07-18-2003, 09:32 AM
That's not a glossary, it's a commercial site for "got qi!":mad:
:p I guess u did that on purpose..

dezhen2001
07-18-2003, 10:44 AM
LOLOL! didnt know they had their own darn site now :p
but what abour us serious language researchers huh? :mad::(

dawood

chen zhen
07-18-2003, 03:37 PM
Oh, that reminds me of the bilingual language course-thread on Other Related Arts, anyone should check it out if they're language-interested.:)