PDA

View Full Version : Boxing in the street

Boxer
10-26-2000, 03:01 PM
i think Boxing is the best MA you gain so much from training in it,ive done alot of MA's and even tho Boxing is simple i have to say its the best one out there.after i did 1year of it i became a lean mean fighting machine,if there's a club near you goto it you will gain so much,ive also had streetfights with other MA's some of which didnt know how to street fight because there arts only work on each other thats where boxing comes in to it very simple to learn and the best fighting skill.any comments? Boxer

JWTAYLOR
10-26-2000, 04:48 PM
Boxing is good. I like boxing. But when it comes to fighting, I tend to agree with Ali.

JWT

Boxer
10-26-2000, 07:14 PM
yeah ali was the best heavy weight boxing ever,he was the only guy bruce lee said he didnt want to fight thats a fact.boxer

JWTAYLOR
10-26-2000, 11:43 PM
True. Personally, I'd love to have fought Ali in his prime. If only for the honor of having my a$$ handed to me by the greatest boxer that ever lived. I simply adore that man. But what he said was that in a fight a boxer was great with his hands. But those were his weapons, his hands. A martial artist (I believe he used the words "karate man" and not martial artist) can use his hands, his feet, his elbows. They just have allot more weapons.

I love boxing. I tell everyone that wants to learn how to fight fast to take up boxing. And I also note that, in sparring, most low level boxers beat the crap out of intermediate martial artists. Boxing teaches, hands on, timing, range, closing the gap, counter striking, and what it really takes to knock someone out. But at both of their highest forms, a boxer just doesn't have as many weapons in their arsenal as a martial artist.

JW

Boxer
10-27-2000, 01:02 AM
yes you have a point there,but i have seen many boxers beat thai fighters and kung fu men its not what form it is its the fighter within,its how hard you train,there for kung fu is not better than boxing nor the other way around.lee

Rolling Elbow
10-27-2000, 04:50 AM
Take a martial artist and give him boxing skills on top of existing skills and ****! that is a fighter!

No argument though, boxing is incredible. I like it and see its use..i wouldn't say it is the best thing out there for the street cause wrestlers do well too..but yes, it all depends on the individual.

P.S- Didn't Bruce Lee also say that Choy Lay Fut was one of the hardest styles to defend against? I thought i read it somehwere..why the wing chun people think CLF sucks is beyond me.

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North.

reemul
10-28-2000, 09:57 AM
I see you have never heard of Shaolin chuaun, which resembles western boxing in many ways. Definately hard to come by these days, though.

omegapoint
10-29-2000, 02:08 PM
You all need to see my reply on the Kung Fu Forum to the differences in striking philosophies of Gung Fu, Karate, and Boxing. Is this conditioned fists vs. unpadded skin, bone, & muscle? Or is this tape reinforced, heavily padded, unconditioned hands that may have never learned to utilize realistic, non-sporting, strikes (ask Mike Tyson how his hand felt after he tried, unsuccesfully, to knock Mitch Green out in a street "confrontation" [remember he broke multiple fingers and a bone in his arm]). If you learn in a system that teaches you to strike with the flat of your fist, or with all knuckles, then you're setting yourself up for dissapointment when you try to utilize ring techs on the street. Boxing punches also tend to emphasize looping punches that rely on the dissemination of force throughout a padded bludgeon called the boxing glove. Punch like that with a true martial practitioner or street savvy fighter, and you may end up having the hook punch intercepted with a strike from a more linear tech that strikes the bicep squarely w/ the two largest knuckles. Ever seen a bicep torn from the bone? Trust me on this. I grew up in a Third World country under Martial Law, where the practice of a myriad of fighting styles was present. Boxer, Karate-Ka, Gung Fu stylist, Grappler; it doesn't matter! You better come with your "A" game when the shiznit hits the fan!!! Know from emperical testing before speculating. Just here to enlighten. Peace!!!

T
10-29-2000, 09:35 PM
There is alway a dispute between which art is better, the art of boxing or the martial arts. Well, as a practioner of both for many years I can honestly say that it comes down to heart and experience. You could train for years in sprarring of any style, but when it somes down to the real thing the real life experience fighter will prevail. Thats not to say the one who trains in the ring/Dojo's time is wasted by any means, but from my early experience there were times where I froze and lost a fight where I should'nt have. But through a few other experiences on the street I developed not only confidence on the street but a level of comfort which allows me to use my trained skills effectively. So, you should not compare Boxing to Karate, Gunfu etc. I comes down to the fighter himself and his experience!!!

Kung Lek
10-30-2000, 12:59 AM
Hey there-

Actually, Bruce and Casius did have an exhibition match which went to a draw.

Boxing is good, but what d you do when you get grabbed and you are not trained in grabs, holds and releases (Chin na).

What if you get tripped up? swept, whacked with a stick?

Kung Fu styles give you many of these skills as well as Boxing. Some Kung Fu styles give you all of these things.

CLF is a very good collection of a great variety of sets and techniques created from the two distinct lineages (Hung sing and Bak Sing)and as well additional sets and techniques from other systems.

Wing Chun is a distilled version of Shaolin Chuan Fa that was developed from methods found in the temple classics on Boxing. Yip Man (Ip Man) was responsible for the rejuvenation of this art and bruce Lee being one of the students in Master Ips school had Wing Chun as his foundation Martial art.

Many of you may have heard of the famous rooftop duels in Hong Kong between CLF schools and Wing Chun schools. This still takes place on occasion.

So, it's all good peeps!

peace

Kung Lek

reemul
10-30-2000, 02:11 PM
You know I wasn't suggesting that shaolin chuan was supreme, just that it develops boxing skills comprable to boxing. It seems to me that some of you go to one school of cma and stereotype the rest as such. I do not speak on behalf of all Kung fu, but as a pre-commie shaolin practioner I find comprable training with regard to others claiming to teach the same, hard to come by.

omegapoint
10-30-2000, 02:26 PM
I agree w/ N/A 100% (sorta')! I learned to protect myself young. I grew up on the East Side of San Antonio (Tx.), and was one of the few "hueros" (pale folk) in school (I'm actually multiethnic). I was continually defending myself from bullies ever since I could remember. My dad enrolled me in Judo when I was 8, and I thank him and God for giving me the opportunity to study a grappling art as my foundation style.When I was 10 my pops enrolled me at a local boxing gym and I loved it! Looking for an opening to shoot-in or to catch my attacker off-balance lead to a few head lumps, but I usually prevailed. With the addition of Western boxing to my repertoire i felt even more confident. I continued to defend myself all the way through 8th grade, and lost a few and won a few. The bullying never ceased, & in fact increased whenever I proved myself in battle (I was quite small and thin and the bigger dudes just couldn't get over the fact that I was no punk). The harrassment at school got so bad at times that I couldn't eat, sleep, or relax when I was away from school. The summer of my advancement to the 9th grade my pops got stationed in the Philippines. It was my chance to get away from the crap and start all over again. After all, I would be living on an Air Base, and such Chaos wouldn't be running rampant on a controlled installation. Wrong!!! The first day of school was the ultimate culture shock. Kids running unchecked up & down the hallways chasing one another. I learned it was a "jumping-in" ceremony for a wanna-be gang called the "krypts" (how original). Another group was yelling out "Seville, M****' F*****' !!!" I surmised they were another gang. I left the immediate area and walked over to our Nipa Hut area, and noticed a lg. circle formed in the middle of the field adjacent to it. I heard lots of yellin and carrying on & proceeded to check it out. AS I got closer I noticed that the circle was composed mostly of Asians (I was in the P.I.), some Filipino; some Thais; Korean kids; whatever, lotsa rowdy people in one small area. When I peeked through the circle I saw a Filipino dude in some kinda' M.A. stance. Kids were flying at him from all directions, one-at-a-time. He was fending them off pretty well. I was like "What The F-!!!" A Thai guy explained to me they were playing tiger-in the-ring, a local phenomenon that had its genesis a few years back. I guess the aim was to solve differences this way instead of all out street fighting. Out of respect for the participants no blows to the head were supposed to occur. As they continued their game someone yelled out "Dr.B***!!" and the circle began to disperse from the outside in. I glanced into the middle of the circle and saw the "tiger" just as he got "stole" from the side. In the confusion someone who didn't like him clocked him in the jaw. He rolled with it and proceeded to attack when he caught a glimpse of the V.Princ. and recollected himself and merged w/ the quickly dispersing crowd. The Filipino guys reconvened with the rest of the Asian dudes near our gym. They began shouting about the cheap blow that the "tiger" had received. They all enthusiastically agreed to finish the argument after school across the street at a place called Bicentennial Park. After school it was on! On one side was the Filipinos, on the other was an assortment of all other Asians. Needless to say it wasn't pretty, and it took the S.P.'s a while to arrive on scene. This continued fot the next 2 years and grew to include all races. I tried my best to be a bystander, even pleading w/ people to stop fighting (as I knew how it felt to be beat down and no one stops the fight). That often led to personal confrontations. I eventually made friends w/ the "Tiger" I had seen in the ring that first day. We had some basic drawing class and sat at the same table. I pimped him about his skill and he said he was a Kuntao practitioner, and if I've ever heard of it. I shook my head "no". He gave me directions to the school off-base, and offered to show me the way himself, as he was training the next day. I took up Kuntaw for about 3 yrs. then switched to Kobayashi Shorin Ryu & Arnis/Silat after seeing the head Sensei perform at a tournament. I was in several altercations (trust me I tried to avoid them all until it was unavoidable). I had guys hound me for months on in, yelling "Hey Karate Kid, ever fought a wrestler -or- a boxer -or- a whatever (street fighter)". I tried to physically stop fights when I had begun puberty. I went from 5'3'' - 5'11'' in betwwen my 9th & 10th grade years (3 Mos.), and felt physically more confident. Part of the problem w/ being a peacemaker is that evil people mistake kindness for weakness. I had at least 5 or 6 real fights, from the time I was 14 until we left 6.5 yrs. later. I lost only one. I was jumped from behind walking home from school one day by 3 wrestlers. So I agree w/ N/A when he says you nedd practical experience to know the psychology and physicality behind a true NHB encounter. But with Zero Tolerance policies now in place at schools all over, kids are not placed in predicaments that many kids of the 70's & 80's experienced. Maybe that's another reason bullied kids nowadays take out their frustrations in other ways. True M.A.s teach one how to physically AND mentally handle a confrontation. Again thank God, for it is the aim of every martial artist to try and avoid fights at all costs (well, almost all costs). Believe you me, fighting ain't fun, but there are times when some of us have to commit. I hope, that for the sake of all practitioners of the "sweet science" that western Boxing is enough to protect one from every conceiveable confrontation. My lame opinion is that it is best to diversify, or find an art that tries to cover all areas of combat. Sorry so lengthy. One Love!!!

Otaku
11-01-2000, 10:31 PM
Interesting post man,i c u had alot of street fighting experience. Would u get nervous before a fight even though you know that you would win.? I nervousness in your opinion just a natural cause that cant be cured. I usually get nervous before a fight even though i know i would win.? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

(Otaku)

LEGEND
11-02-2000, 10:59 PM
KUNG LEK...where are you getting your info??? BRUCE and MUHAMMAD ALI never had an exhibition match!

I find boxing simple and effective...my best friend is a very accomplish martial artist in WTF TKD and BJJ...he KO a trouble maker at a club using only boxing techs! I was very impressed...simple and very effective...the brain can only take so many hits before zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

A

omegapoint
11-03-2000, 02:21 AM
Not only would I get nervous the moment of a confrontation, but a delay in the time of the fight would cause a severe case of the nerves (esp. when I was a preteen). A classic example of this is the "I'm gonna kick your ass after school!" challenge: Intestinal probs, loss of appetite, severe shakes- the whole nine! As I became older, wiser, and more confident with the unpredictable nature of a street "brawl", these feelings substantially subsided (but I still hate even thinking about fighting). The confrontations also were not as prevalent as I got older. I think my continued training in the traditional M.A.s honed my psychological tactics, also. Any fool who says that they don't get nervous before they get ready to put their well-being on the line is a straight-up liar ("Ain't no future in yo' frontin'"), or a sociopath (aka a psychopath (an antisocial fool) who lacks a conscience. You're just a normal human being, Bruh'!!! One...

overdemon
11-03-2000, 03:01 AM
nervous?
my blood pressure Rise as hell.
Can't think but can only react
and don't feel much pain if I got hit
and if I think I just think how I ripped him apart
is not a pretty feeling because some time I almost faint when I got this upset
Otaku if you have ever fought before
You'll understand.

LEGEND
11-04-2000, 07:16 PM
ALCOHOL will play a big part in fights...it makes you feel invincible...but of course...you fight like ****!

A