PDA

View Full Version : any good XingYi teachers now that BP Chan is gone

ascan
07-11-2003, 08:27 PM
I heard that Xing Yi master BP Chan passed away. I was very saddened to hear about it. I would have liked to study under him.

Does anyone know of any other good Xing Yi teachers in the New York City area (Manhattan or Queens). I mean a teacher that knows the whole system. And one that can teach how to really apply it in a fight? And one that can eventually teach how to generate root power and chi?

count
07-12-2003, 05:09 AM
how about Li Tai Liang (http://www.geocities.com/cliu576/)?

Ray Pina
07-14-2003, 05:54 AM
You can also check out my master's website below. Tues. and Fri. are devoted to Hsing-I.

Muppet
07-14-2003, 09:42 AM
Li Tai Liang and David Bond Chan in that order, strictly in term's of the instructor's skill with his respective art.

monkeycrane
05-28-2004, 12:37 PM
If you're still looking for a Hsing-yi teacher, BP Chan's sucessor is Richard Satlow. Many of Chan's students are now studying with him. He was with Chan for 30 years, given the entire closed door transmission, has awesome martial abilities, and is an exceptional teacher. He teaches in Westchester and can be reached at 914 393-5217 or put in "Mohegan Tai Chi" into a search engine, which is his school.

blacktaoist
05-28-2004, 02:10 PM
Try Sifu Rudy Curry Jr of Queens New York City.

You can contact him at (917) 290-3737 or (718) 291-2047 Sifu Rudy has trained under B.P.Chen in Hsing Yi Chuan for over 20 years or more. Sifu Rudy is very skilled in Hsing Yi Chuan as well highly knowledge in the Hsing Yi Chuan he was taught from the late B.P. Chan. Sifu Rudy website is:

http://www.geocities.com/sifurudynyctaichi/

Yo EvolutionFist a martial art friend of my gave me a video tape of Sifu Ross fighting event, on the tape I saw your fight on it. I have a question What happan man ? I saw your fight and I didn't see you use any Hsing Yi Chuan in your fight. Yo, when ever your in New York City again we need to hook up sometime and free-fight , there a lot of **** you need to work on. :cool:

Ray Pina
06-01-2004, 06:23 AM
Yea, it was the first time in that kind of environment and I kind of came out of the corner a little to fast and really gassed myself out.

I was sort of happy with the way he couldn't land any strikes, but he did a good job of clinching me and sweeping me.

Of course my master saw the tape and though I was sloppy as hell. We're working now to get me ready to fight in San Da again in Sept. I'm surfing and training, so I hope to be more fit and trim and perhaps fighting at about 190 as apposed to 205.

I've been tempted to e-mail David to see about meeting up with you guys to chi sau or do some free fighting but always decided against it thinking it would be taken the wrong way.

Anyway, I'm going to try and get into the city a little early on Fri. if you want to meet up. Also, I heard you run a chi sau group on Sun. or something.

Let me know.

blacktaoist
06-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Yea, it was the first time in that kind of environment and I kind of came out of the corner a little to fast and really gassed myself out.

Yo Ray I think you came out attacking your opponent with the right fighting attitude (mindset mentally), but you just didn’t use the right technique. But I got respect for you because you did step in the ring to test your stuff, where most cats on the internet just like to talk about how they do this and that in a ring, never stepping in one to see how well they will do.

From what I saw on the video of your fight, in my opinion you should have attacked first utilizing Beng Chuan. In my opinion this is the best offensive Hsing Yi Chuan technique to apply for these kind of fights, and being that you have speed and you are kind of a short person, Being Chuan would have worked very well for you in this fight if you had utilize it. You would had easy killed your opponents body if you had utilize Beng Chuan from the start. Take another look at your fight again on the video, and I'm sure you see just what I'm talking about.

My advice to you is you should practice Beng Chuan 1000 times a day. 1000 times on both sides left and right that way you truly be balance in your attack as well start to develop a a good technique of attacking. (entering) If you do start to train your Beng Chuan, Don’t just practice your Beng Chuan form, also work it on the bag and later free-sparring against aggressive opponents. That way you develop a lot of endurance in your body with this fist technique, so that next time you fight in these kind of matchers you will not be gassed out.

Ray I also recommend you thick about your nutrition too, no matter how many hours you train for these kind of fights you still have to look at what you are putting in your body. So eat right and stay away from junk foods. Because junk foods can be a big factor in how you perform in these kinds of fighting competitions.

I was sort of happy with the way he couldn't land any strikes, but he did a good job of clinching me and sweeping me.

Ray you did ok, I not trying to knock you, I just think you could have done a lot better. I glad to see you are testing your stuff out in the ring. I think you need more free fighting experience, that way you develop your martial skills in how to utilize your Hsing Yi Chuan techniques better.

When I look at the video of your fight, there were some techniques I saw you could have easy applied if you had more free-fighting experience with your Hsing Yi Chuan. The times your opponent was clinching and sweeping you in the fight, all you had to utilize was the Hsing Yi Chuan Horse technique from the twelve styles or best of all Tzuann Chuan or even Hern Chuan when the opponent was clinching you. In my opinion if you would have apply even one of these techniques at the right time, I’m sure you would have hurt or knockout out your opponent and won your match!

Of course my master saw the tape and though I was sloppy as hell. We're working now to get me ready to fight in San Da again in Sept. I'm surfing and training, so I hope to be more fit and trim and perhaps fighting at about 190 as apposed to 205.

So you are fighting in San Da in sept. Ray is that the event that says, WHO’S THE KING OF STAND UP FIGHTING? I think Sifu Ross e-mail me some information about that event. Yo I was thinking about fighting in that competition, I just have not made up my mind yet, because presently I have a lot of things going on in my life right now, where I don’t have much free time to train myself right for these kinds of San Da competitions. But I’m truly thinking about fighting in this king of San Da competition; guess I have to see how things go in my life with my free time.

I've been tempted to e-mail David to see about meeting up with you guys to chi sau or do some free fighting but always decided against it thinking it would be taken the wrong way.

Yo why you think I take your e-mail the wrong way? In the past we debate about things you and I could not agree on, But don’t forget I always welcome you to come down to my martial art class to train or spar. :)

Anyway, I'm going to try and get into the city a little early on Fri. if you want to meet up. Also, I heard you run a chi sau group on Sun. or something.

Yo, I should be in China town this Friday so if you want to hook up let me know what time you plan to be down there. On sun days I teach mostly martial conditioning drills , and free-fighting stuff. I was teaching downtown in China town area for a little while, but now I teach back up town because I have more students up in that area to train.

Peace
BT

Ray Pina
06-02-2004, 07:00 AM
Thanks for all your input.

My stuff is definitely a work in progress. I'm disapointed in how I fought in that fight because I was really getting it together and than about two weeks before the fight I started rumbling in class, just trying to KO my apponant but with no control, no technique, just sort of street fighting and I was so amped to win I just tried to out punch the guy but he knew what he was doing and let me get tired. So I learned.

I learned I need to calm down and control myself and the other guy more. I do it fine when playing out, but I need to do it in the ring where it counts. But I am still at the stage or getting material, working on it and testing it. I'm thinking it will be about a year and a half before I can say I am "doing E-Chuan."

I'm learning some very interesting kicking now, which I can't wait to test out in Sept.

I also hear you about nutritian. I got to stop making those runs to the border ... cut the Taco Bell out. Other than that I'm not a junk food guy, just more of a "I'll help myself to seconds" sort of fellow.

I usually leave work on Fri at about 4:00 and get into Chinatown around 5 (barring traffic) and I just eat some food in the park around the block from my master's school and watch the cats play soccer.

Thanks again for the feedback. And as for the past, I've always said I respected the aproach you took to martial arts. I just got sensitive when I felt my school or school brothers were under attack .... I know you can understand that.

We may be different, we may think differently, we may say thing nobody agrees with, but we are willing to put out ideas to test and always open to see and learn something different.

If we have one over riding principle, it's that there's no such thing as "That's it" ... well, maybe not as important as "close your door, open their door, hit."

Glad to see you posting here and I hope we can get together because I for one want to be the best fighter I can be and I know you and the guys you are training also seek the same.... we're all here.

How's David doing? The last I saw of him his arms were getting pretty heavy.

Eight_Triagram_Boxer
06-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Ray...
What's up man? How have you been? I'm doing well. I can't believe your'll still posting up here. I haven't been on this forum in years!
When was the last time I saw you? Must have been a while ago, right? At least 2 years or so?
Well, just wanted to make my reply and let you know that if you want to meet up with Novell and myself feel free to e-mail me. I'm sure you still have my e-mail address. If not just PM me on here. Don't worry, it won't be taken the wrong way.
See you around.
Take care,
David

phantom
06-02-2004, 04:11 PM
I really do not mean to hurt Sifu Curry's ability to generate new students, but be warned that where he teaches is a really high crime area. I have heard that it has the worst projects in the United States. I am not sure if it is worth the risk, but that is just me. At any rate, I am glad to see that he is continuing to teach Sifu Chan's version of Hsing-I, I wish more of Sifu Chan's students were doing the same. Peace.:D

Ray Pina
06-03-2004, 06:40 AM
What's up David? I'm sure you're getting pretty tough by now. How's your training going?

Like I said, I'm usually in the park around the block from Master's place having a little dinner.... I should be there around 6:30 for sure (may be playing raquetball after work from 4 to 5.... a new thing I'm getting into and great fun and work out). I'll keep an eye out for ya; would be cool to see you and Novell and maybe see how you guys do things .... my computer sucks and I can never open the vids on your site.

If we can't get together on Fri. let's keep in touch. Is your school hosting the Ba Gua portion of the Fe Hung tournament this year? I always enjoyed that tournament; lots of faces and goings on.

blacktaoist
06-07-2004, 01:57 PM
I really do not mean to hurt Sifu Curry's ability to generate new students, but be warned that where he teaches is a really high crime area. I have heard that it has the worst projects in the United States. I am not sure if it is worth the risk, but that is just me.

Phantom what's to be warned about? Where Sifu Rudy teach his students martial arts today is not in the projects or in any high crime area. Sifu Rudy lives in a private building in a very nice area in Jamaica Queens N.Y.C.
Back in the 80's Sifu Rudy use to live and teach in South Jamaica Baisley projects, but that was a very long time ago.
So don't believe everything you hear unless you hear it from the source.

Sifu Rudy teach a class of students Hsing Yi, Ba Gua . and Tai Chi at a martial art school.

For individuals interested in learning Hsing Yi Chuan, Ba Gua, and Tai Chi Chuan they can check Sifu Rudy classes out at this school:

Harakenko Juku Martial Arts and Wellness Center infor: 718. 454-KICK
197-17 Hillside Avenue (lower level)
Hollis, NY 11432
Tuesdays 8:00pm

Peace
BT

phantom
06-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, blacktaoist. High crime cities do often have areas that are okay. I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else. Peace.

blacktaoist
06-08-2004, 09:20 AM
I am sorry if I offended you or anyone else. Peace.

I was not offended. I just wanted to give you correct information.

Peace
BT