PDA

View Full Version : recommended weight loss books

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-12-2003, 02:56 PM
sorry i didnt post this in the fitness forum, but i need to get my sister something for her birthday and there's obviously much more traffic here.

i have mentioned my sister's desire to lose the weight she gained quitting smoking before, but last night she had a few drinks, started feeling depressed about being fat, and had her 2nd through 5th cigarette in 5 years. this is the main reason i don't think the gift would be an insult.

im looking for something that would cover the basics of losing weight and recommended eating. i dont want to get a piece of crap so any suggestions are appreciated.

SevenStar
07-12-2003, 03:37 PM
body for life is a good one. I've got several friends who've had success with it. I've actually got a copy too - wanted to see what kind of info it had.

Royal Dragon
07-12-2003, 04:54 PM
It may be out of print, but "Fit or Fat" by Covert Baily is THE definitve work on maintinaing healthy weight.

I Have't seen it in years, but it was a small series of books, with videos by a Bio Chemist named Covert Baily. He explained the Bio chemistry involved in burning fat, and what sorts of exercises creat those conditions in the body. He even explined how long to optiomally do warmups, and why, as well as propper diet and common sense eating approaches.

I patterned my Kung Fu curriculem around his theories, and so long as I can follow the program, I never fail to drop weight. It does not have to be Kung Fu though, you can plug his theories into any sort of exercise system.

Yung Apprentice
07-12-2003, 05:19 PM
I might get critisized for saying this, but you may want to take a look at the Atkins book. I've had some pretty good results when I'm on it. Lost bout 30 pounds in six weeks, and even though I haven't been on it, and have been eating carbs, the weight hasn't came back. But, the Atkins is said to have better results with men, so I don't know.

Of course with losing weight, and I'm pretty sure GDA already knows this, you have to change quite a few things. The things your eating, portions, and of course the all important excersice. Running is definately the best thing for losing weight, and it really helps your metabolism. Lifting weight helps a lot too, replacing fat with muscle, and toning the body. I know a lot of ppl who lose a lot of weight by cardio and diet, but then they have loose or saggy skin. Thats where the lifting weights come in.:)

Royal Dragon
07-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Yeah, Muscles burn more fat than anything else. Unfortunetly the exercises that build muscle don't burn any fat themselves. BUT, if you lift, and then do lots of cardio, your set! :D

kungfuyou
07-12-2003, 10:12 PM
Body for life is a good one. I have a couple friends that I know that are on it and lost some good weight. I'm actually on it as well and have seen some decent loss in the first few weeks. It's not as bad as some. The weight watchers program works really well too. I have known some people to have MAJOR loss with that diet. Atkins is another good one as well. But body for life I personally like, especially for a busy lifestyle, tells you EXACTLY how to excersise with a limited amount of time.

Royal Dragon
07-13-2003, 10:41 AM
I just wanted you guys to know I'm sitting here eating a boul of Cherry Ice cream with Green "Incredible Hulk" Chocolate syrup on it. I though That might help.:p

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-13-2003, 01:19 PM
that's one plus ill have on my side as i get older. i don't eat sweets or junk food at all. ice cream occasionally, but even that's pretty rare. they just taste wierd to me. and leave a funny feeling in my belly.

Royal Dragon
07-13-2003, 01:23 PM
I have a genetically hardwired disposition to loving sweets. Infact, my weight is why I got into Kung Fu to begin with. If I don't get at least 2 hours, 4 days a week, I get pretty big.