PDA

View Full Version : Why BJJ and Reality MA's are so popular as opposed to Chinese MA

reemul
10-31-2000, 04:02 AM
There is a justifiable reason that BJJ and Reality combat has become the fad in western society. The reason: Western society does not understand or recognize the differrence between western and eastern philosophy and way of thought.
western society insist on approaching Chinese martial arts from a western perspective. Westerners view things as polar or dualistic rather than the Chinese tradition adapting to continual changes of the cosmos (yin/yang). In short western martial artist just don't grasp the concepts of the teachings and rely on mimicry, and mimicry will not win a fight and so the system is charged with the blame rather than the students lack of understanding

JerryLove
10-31-2000, 05:33 AM
I disagree, the western mind mimics with the best of them. Look at fashion, religion, or BJJers spouting off dogma.

As to not seperating Eastern from Western philosophy, there are Western Daoists and Buddists. And of course, one of the great things about the US is we are not all Western.

reemul
10-31-2000, 11:08 AM
Well since you brought up the US, the majority of marital art students in the US have absolutely no experience in eastern philosophy(based on my personal observation) and rely soley on mimicry when approaching MA in general. As well most MA schools are just interrested in making their cash than teaching the concepts in the way they were meant to be taught, or are simply unable to.

rogue
11-02-2000, 05:34 AM
It also could have something to do with the large amount of instructors that JKD, BJJ and TKD have. These styles have alot of the so called fluff removed from them which makes becoming an instructor that much more streamlined.

I used to be daga

LEGEND
11-02-2000, 10:55 PM
Actually there is not that many BJJ or REALITY MA's that are doing successful business!!! The problem with CHINESE MA is you can't find any schools...in my area in FAIRFAX VA you have 3 schools compared to 50 TKD schools.

A