PDA

View Full Version : Gave too much for the whistle.

rogue
07-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Applies to many of us in the martial arts.

When I was a child of seven years old, my friends, on a holiday, filled my pocket with coppers. I went directly to a shop where they sold toys for children; and being charmed with the sound of a whistle, that I met by the way in the hands of another boy, I voluntarily offered and gave all my money for one. I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family. My brothers, and sisters, and cousins, understanding the bargain I had made, told me I had given four times as much for it as it was worth; put me in mind what good things I might have bought with the rest of the money; and laughed at me so much for my folly, that I cried with vexation; and the reflection gave me more chagrin than the whistle gave me pleasure. 4
This, however, was afterwards of use to me, the impression continuing on my mind; so that often, when I was tempted to buy some unnecessary thing, I said to myself, Don’t give too much for the whistle; and I saved my money. 5
As I grew up, came into the world, and observed the actions of men, I thought I met with many, very many, who gave too much for the whistle. 6
When I saw one too ambitious of court favor, sacrificing his time in attendance on levees, his repose, his liberty, his virtue, and perhaps his friends, to attain it, I have said to myself, This man gives too much for his whistle. 7
When I saw another fond of popularity, constantly employing himself in political bustles, neglecting his own affairs, and ruining them by that neglect, He pays, indeed, said I, too much for his whistle. 8
If I knew a miser, who gave up every kind of comfortable living, all the pleasure of doing good to others, all the esteem of his fellow-citizens, and the joys of benevolent friendship, for the sake of accumulating wealth, Poor man, said I, you pay too much for your whistle. 9
When I met with a man of pleasure, sacrificing every laudable improvement of the mind, or of his fortune, to mere corporeal sensations, and ruining his health in their pursuit, Mistaken man, said I, you are providing pain for yourself, instead of pleasure; you give too much for your whistle. 10
If I see one fond of appearance, or fine clothes, fine houses, fine furniture, fine equipages, all above his fortune, for which he contracts debts, and ends his career in a prison, Alas! say I, he has paid dear, very dear, for his whistle. 11
When I see a beautiful sweet-tempered girl married to an ill-natured brute of a husband, What a pity, say I, that she should pay so much for a whistle! 12
In short, I conceive that great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by the false estimates they have made of the value of things, and by their giving too much for their whistles. Some cat named Benny.

neigung
07-13-2003, 12:55 PM
**** nice. thanks for posting it.

Royal Dragon
07-14-2003, 05:34 AM
When I see a beautiful sweet-tempered girl married to an ill-natured brute of a husband, What a pity, say I, that she should pay so much for a whistle! 12

Reply]
This one can have Sooo many meanings, on sooo many levels!!! :eek:

rubthebuddha
07-14-2003, 09:28 AM
rd -- you ass clown.

rogue -- thanks. a bunch. :)

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-14-2003, 09:44 AM
i really wanted a hot girlfriend.

i paid too much for my whistle.

Royal Dragon
07-14-2003, 09:48 AM
He he he hehe :p

HuangKaiVun
07-14-2003, 02:13 PM
No, I think you paid a nice price rogue.

You paid what you felt was a fair price for the ENJOYMENT of the whistle, not necessarily the whistle itself.

Sure you could've gotten a better deal financially, but what's a few coppers in the grand scheme of a lifetime? In the end, we're going to die anyway with or without having had that whistle. And don't even tell me that you DIDN'T have fun blowing that thing.

Unlike some of those people you mentioned in your later anecdotes, you were happy until your bubble was burst by people who couldn't stomach your fun.

Were you my kid, I'd have said "Great! You could've gotten it for less money, but at least you used it to the max and had your fun. A few coppers is worth the price for that amount of happiness."

Then I'd have taught you how to research your options before throwing your money at the first available thing.

By the way, some of those "unnecessary" things I had in childhood are putting food on my table today.

Kung fu training was "unnecessary" back then too.

So much for well-intentioned parental closemindness.

rubthebuddha
07-14-2003, 02:38 PM
er, hkv, that was written by ben franklin a couple hundred years ago. hence rogue quoting it, and signing it "some cat name benny."

HuangKaiVun
07-14-2003, 02:43 PM
Doesn't matter.

rogue believed it, and it's rogue that I was addressing.

Different people, SAME SCENARIO.

ZIM
07-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Right! And just LOOK how HE turned out! Jeez!!! :D
that was written by ben franklin a couple hundred years ago.

Serpent
07-14-2003, 06:34 PM
Oh, Huang. You are such a cock.

Laughing Cow
07-14-2003, 06:43 PM
rogue:

Thanks, for sharing that.

HKV:

Get a life.

rogue
07-14-2003, 08:05 PM
You're welcome all. I just thought with all the time put in, the injuries and the ticked off wives and girlfriends we've all had, it kind of fit.

Serpent
07-14-2003, 08:14 PM
Yeah, Rogue, I gotta agree with that to a degree, but I reckon what we've got is a very valuable whistle! ;)

rogue
07-14-2003, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't say that in front of my wife Serp. ;)

Serpent
07-14-2003, 08:22 PM
Neither would I! But they ain't here right now.....

what's that noise?

is someone there?

AAARRRGGHHHHHH!

rubthebuddha
07-15-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ZIM
Right! And just LOOK how HE turned out! Jeez!!! :D er, died at 84, when most people these days don't live that long.

that, and he invented lots of really neat toys. :p

1renox
07-15-2003, 02:16 PM
When I was a child of seven years old, my friends, on a holiday, filled my pocket with coppers. I went directly to a shop where they sold toys for children; and being charmed with the sound of a whistle, that I met by the way in the hands of another boy, I voluntarily offered and gave all my money for one. I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family. My brothers, and sisters, and cousins, understanding the bargain I had made, told me I had given four times as much for it as it was worth; put me in mind what good things I might have bought with the rest of the money; and laughed at me so much for my folly, that I cried with vexation; and the reflection gave me more chagrin than the whistle gave me pleasure.

So little boy buys whistle and enjoys it. Then other children, persuade him that it was a "bad" deal and ruins it for him. Then his judgements, even his adult sensabilties, are based upon the values he learned from children, never being able to develope his own sense and always based in the belief of others--sad.

ZIM
07-15-2003, 02:42 PM
:p :p :p :p :p :p

Actually, Ben was quite the maverick free thinker.

rubthebuddha
07-15-2003, 02:46 PM
aye. i feel sorry for ben's neighbors. ben was known for taking what are called "air baths." ben wasn't known for his mighty physique, so anyone who unknowingly went to borrow a cup of sugar during one of his air baths was in for a ... treat. :(

ZIM
07-15-2003, 03:11 PM
You mean "teat"

rubthebuddha
07-15-2003, 03:33 PM
i stand corrected. :o

Watchman
07-15-2003, 03:49 PM
Rogue, that quote hit home on a number of levels. Thanks for posting it.

David Jamieson
07-15-2003, 04:06 PM
So little boy buys whistle and enjoys it. Then other children, persuade him that it was a "bad" deal and ruins it for him. Then his judgements, even his adult sensabilties, are based upon the values he learned from children, never being able to develope his own sense and always based in the belief of others--sad.

first, I personally think that Ben Franklin was a profound thinker.
He was a master at the fine art of living life.

The passage indicated is as true today as it ever was. It's an observation of events that have a common thread through all of us and in turn are the triggers that bend us in one direction or another as we make our way through time.

And so, the phrase, 'I learned everything I need to know about ___ by the time I was six.' Our sense of values are indeed instilled in us in our childhoods. It's why we pursue youth as we age, it's why guys buy the sports car they dreamed of or remember gleaming in the sun to their utter amazement as children.

There are deep marks left on us both positive and negative that are incurred during childhood and pre-teen years and on up, but the ones that stay with us the longest are always going to be the ones that have been with us the longest.

cheers

p.s thanks for digging that up rogue, you sentimental, orange wall and wood panel basement kind of guy you.

rogue
07-15-2003, 08:43 PM
Glad you guys enjoyed it. I heard the quote on a PBS program about Franklin. It hit home as I'm trying to find balance between home life, work and training. There really doesn't seem to be balance just a cost incurred for each choice made. Not a bad thing, just the way things are.

BTW, Kung Lek you better stop looking in my basement windows or you may catch me taking my daily air bath! :p And yes I am a sentimental fool!:D