PDA

View Full Version : Mantis FAQ

StickyHands
07-13-2003, 08:59 PM
Hey guys, Ive never clicked on this section, but I was always meaning to ask whenever I hovered around the title "Northern Praying Mantis." As from reading the gist of the threads, it seems like a lot of the practitioner here are highly confident about its effecitiveness, a bit too confident. So not to troll, but I am wonder why the reason for confidence, what makes it as to different or more effective than other arts? And I saw there are several styles to it, what makes it one different than the other? What is the original style that retains most to the creator? I couldnt find the topic where all of this was discussed, if it is, please list the link, thanks.

mantisben
07-13-2003, 11:24 PM
Hey guys, Ive never clicked on this section, but I was always meaning to ask whenever I hovered around the title "Northern Praying Mantis." As from reading the gist of the threads, it seems like a lot of the practitioner here are highly confident about its effecitiveness, a bit too confident.
Can you name a style of fighting (MMA, boxing, Karate, Tae Kwon Do, WWF Wrestling, etc.) that DOESN'T have practicioners that are not confident in their chosen style of combat? Name the style/method in your response.

So not to troll, but I am wonder why the reason for confidence, what makes it as to different or more effective than other arts?

In my opinion, PM or any other style of combat isn't more effective than any other. For example, would you tell Roy Jones, Jr., or Mike Tyson that his style of combat wasn't as effective as _________ because he didn't throw kicks, grapple, or do sensitivity training? Do they HAVE to? In my opinion, they don't.

And I saw there are several styles to it. What makes it one different than the other?
I think it was initially made up of 18 different styles. I know some emphasized long-range combat, some empasized mid and short-range combat. Certainly, there are other practicioners on this forum more knowlegable than me, about the differences between the styles that form PM.

Crushing Step
07-14-2003, 09:22 AM
- I believe any practicioner can make his art practical. However, if they are in a "bad" system, they can become a product of their training.

- Mantis teaches all ranges of fighting, including kicking, striking, trapping, grappling, and includes nice extras like chi kung and iron palm.

- Regarding its makeup of many styles, mantis is the original jeet kune do, from a point of view. Just 350 years or so before Bruce.

- Over 15 years I have personally experienced many martial arts, and martial arts teachers. I've trained in Korean, Japanese, and Chinese systems. I can make a well informed decision that mantis is most effective.

- It contains enough material you can suit the art for your liking or your body type. In other words, learn the required curriculum, but pick a specialty you are strong at. For what you don't specialize in, you have at least seen enough of it to defend against it.

- When in doubt, touch hands.

_J

cha kuen
07-14-2003, 11:45 PM
I can see why a mantis person would be confident. Mantis has trapping, some free fighting, hooks , uppercuts, jabs, straight punches, low practical kicks, quick footwork to go in and out.