PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis and Wing Chun

kyouzo
07-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Do you think Wing Chun would compliment a Northern Praying Mantis style or vice-versa?

HuangKaiVun
07-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Any art can complement any other -

provided that you know what you're doing in both of them.

grifter721
07-14-2003, 02:44 PM
they have totally different theories and ways of doing things

mtod1
07-14-2003, 06:34 PM
My Sifu studied Praying Mantis before he began his Wing Chun training. I've asked him this question myself. Apparently there are quite a number of ideas/techniques in both styles that are similar. You'd probably be best of checking out a Mantis or WC schools ask for demo's of techniques etc.

seeya

cha kuen
07-14-2003, 11:42 PM
I have been there and done that. i trained in northern mantis for awhile and recently switched to wing chun. When I was learning some of the applications for wing chun, it was a nightmare and I would never like to re-live it. The trapping and sequence were different and because I had done mantis before, it made learning wing chun harder for me.

I read somewhere, "It's easier to build a tree from the ground up than to break it down and start over." On the outside, the applications look similar but they are different systems. If you practice both at the same time, it only causes problems and does not benefit each other at all.

The trapping is different, theory is different , structure and footwork are also different. Don't do it.

kyouzo
07-17-2003, 07:11 PM
how exactly do they differ in a trapping sense?

cha kuen
07-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Too many details to sit here and type them out. Different principles, different execution, different movements.

fidon
07-18-2003, 06:08 AM
I'd say go ahead and try wing chun and experience it for yourself, however i have tried it before and the techniques are obviously different and thier style of fighting is way different to tong long. I didnt like it that much so i stuck with my original art.

Ren Blade
07-18-2003, 06:41 AM
It can be less original when you do 2 styles together.

Every Kung Fu style has their own essense and energy. Ultimately, no matter the style, all Kung Fu is is just movement of energy. But each style is unique in expressing energy. Doing 2 styles tend to lead a person to merge the 2 styles together creating something different. But as long as it is still powerful and works, then it could matter less. But traditional styles are always changing anyways to fit the martial artist's body type/character/personality and the enviroment they live in.

I train Northern Long Fist (Han Ching Tan lineage) and Southern Fujian White Crane. There are certian spine and chest movements that are in our White Crane that our Long Fist does not contain. Our White Crane makes our Long Fist hand techniques stronger and more explosive. In the meanwhile, the Long Fist kicks and large footwork expands the options of our southern White Crane's limited leg techniques/short footwork. There is some Praying Mantis forms within our Long Fist system so I'm training Praying Mantis as well. But I find that I and everyone else at the school is doing Praying Mantis with some of White Crane's spine/chest movements.

On the side I practice with just one form from 7 Star Mantis, Bung Bo or Beng Bu and for fun the Wu Shu Mantis form created by Yu Hai. So when I do 7 Star, I have more Long Fist flavor rather than 7 Star flavor.

It's tough to be pure and keep 2 or more styles that you train as original as possible no matter how much you try.

Adam Hsu, who has background in multiple Chinese styles (7 Star Mantis & 6 Harmony Mantis included), says that 2 or 3 styles is enough. Cause having too many styles trained clouds the vision or something like that. But it doesn't mean your eyes when he mentions the vision part.

kyouzo
07-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Thanks,

I was just wonder for the sake of become a more well rounded Martial Artist.

cha kuen
07-28-2003, 11:58 PM
Kyouzo,

If you are just concerned with being a well rounded martial artist just make sure thta you can fight close distance and long distnace. You don't need to go outside of your style, you can take the principles and train them effectively in different situations.

Many people who love trapping lack long distnace fighting skills and vice versa.

That's the biggest problem in my opinion. The answer is not outside your style.

Sam
08-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Check out James Cama's site http://www.geocities.com/wingchunbuddhahand/index.html