PDA

View Full Version : Can you develop KO power?

Yung Apprentice
07-14-2003, 05:05 PM
If so, how?

Xebsball
07-14-2003, 05:17 PM
yeah

training and developing your striking mechanics basicly

how that is done might depend on the art or whatever

like on xing yi we do the elements (like forms) and hit stuff too

Liokault
07-15-2003, 07:23 AM
If you can I would love to know how.

I have done about 20 full contact fights and only had 2 knock outs (one dont count as the guy bent over and let me repeatedly upper cut him till he was unconciouse).

I hit heavy bags a lot

I work on focus pads lots

I hit a speed ball a lot

Still no knock out........I think its down to your body type and so is going to be hard to change.

red5angel
07-15-2003, 07:25 AM
of course you can. Through Precision and power.

Shuul Vis
07-15-2003, 07:32 AM
Im assuming you are wearing gloves? That can have alot to do with it. Its very hard to knock someone out for more than a brief second when wearing decent sized gloves. If you have sound technique as far as punching goes (not using just the arm, rotating the waist, using all your body wieght, ect) and you practice actually hitting things as you stated you do, then my advice is this: try working on your mental aspect. Train your intention and focus when you hit. Train so that you really believe, without a doubt in your mind, that when you hit its going to crush his skull with ease. This attitude combined with a strong focus (nothing else except the punch you are throwing in your mind) will really help.

Shuul Vis
07-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Also think about where you are hitting on the head. Again thats hard to do with large gloves on, but it makes a big difference. There are many different schools of thought though as to where on the head is the best place to hit for a knockout. Look into it.

MasterKiller
07-15-2003, 07:34 AM
I think its down to your body type and so is going to be hard to change. Every boxer, football player, and car manufacturer knows the easiest way to knock someone out is to hit them on the side of the head. Most concusions are caused by forcing the head to snap sideways, not front to back.

It's about power and mechanics, both of which you can improve upon.