PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a school...(newbie here)

MatT3T4
07-15-2003, 09:32 AM
http://www.terriblemonk.net

http://www.shao-lin.com

http://www.wingchuncalifornia.com

I have been a student of Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai, American Kenpo, Kodokan Judo, and Shorin-ji Kajubo Kempo for the past 9 years, and I am looking for a more traditional, less watered down, less Americanized martial art. Of all of the Kung Fu schools in my area, these are the three that stand out to me. Maybe some of you have heard of them, or know of the instructors, and can help me out. I am yet to visit any of them, I will be doing that over the next couple of weeks, but if anyone here has any thoughts on them, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks in advance...

MasterKiller
07-15-2003, 10:44 AM
I smell bait...

Suntzu
07-15-2003, 10:53 AM
if dat aint pimp (http://terriblemonk.org/albums/Image-Bank-1/DragonFest3.sized.jpg) ...

Judge Pen
07-15-2003, 10:59 AM
Please. Not again.

MatT3T4
07-15-2003, 10:59 AM
I see I should have used the Search feature... :o

What's the deal with this guy anyway?

But seriously, the Shao-lin Center...anyone?

Judge Pen
07-15-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by MatT3T4
I see I should have used the Search feature... :o

What's the deal with this guy anyway?

But seriously, the Shao-lin Center...anyone?

For the love of God, No!

Serioulsy, use the search feature on Shaolin-Do. Your questions will be answered.

red5angel
07-15-2003, 11:02 AM
I'll bite. Stay away from any wing chun school where the sifu has pictures of himself on the website shirtless. Otherwise check all the schools out you are interested in for a few days and see which one you like better.

Judge Pen
07-15-2003, 11:16 AM
I'm going to guess that you are not trolling here.

Shaolin Center is Shaolin-Do. I practice it and I am happy with it, but it is very controversial here for several reasons. Some are valid and some are not. Regardless, the overall opinion of this forum is negative on SD. Even by posting here I will, no doubt, attract some of the favorite trolls' comments.

If you have any specific questions then please ask. Feel free to PM me or ask them here. If you do ask them here, however, we will draw some attention.

MatT3T4
07-15-2003, 11:21 AM
PM sent. Thanks.

red5angel
07-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Mat, I am telling you man, if you are interested in mutliple schools, go check them out and see what you think. While one style might be cool and someone might be having a good experience in it, yours could be different and the only way to know is to do it.

MatT3T4
07-15-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
Mat, I am telling you man, if you are interested in mutliple schools, go check them out and see what you think. While one style might be cool and someone might be having a good experience in it, yours could be different and the only way to know is to do it.

Thanks, I know though...this will be martial art #6 for me. I know ALL about checking them out, but I want to get a heads up from people here before I even get there, as to what I should expect.

While we're at it, what do you guys think of Douglas Wong? http://www.whitelotuskungfu.com/ Another school nearby...

Shaolin-Do
07-15-2003, 11:36 AM
"Thanks, I know though...this will be martial art #6 for me. "

You should stick with somethin :)

Yes... SD is very controverial on this board...
hehehe
:)
surprised this hasnt gone anywhere horribly negative yet.
:D

rubthebuddha
07-15-2003, 11:45 AM
well, that's because serpent hasn't shown up yet. ;)

regardless, the terrible monk site is a farce to say the least. anyone that has pictures of himself in the background in pictures of ... himself needs to be sent packing. but that's less important than his claims. didn't read one that didn't smack of deception or outright lie.

you can find out more about the shaolin do school by searching.

the wing chun school? dunno. wait for more feedback fromt he folks on the wc forum -- some folks over there will be familiar with it.

regardless, good luck in whatever you do find. :)

Shaolin-Do
07-15-2003, 11:46 AM
Best I can do is reiterate red5's post...

Check out all the schools you are interested in, talk to the teachers, see what they are about, Id even go so far as to try a class from each... see what you like.

red5angel
07-15-2003, 11:48 AM
I have only read a few of Douglas wongs books. I am little skeptical of White Lotus but have never really seen it. It would be interesting to check out and let us know what you find if you have the time.

Shaolin-Do
07-15-2003, 11:52 AM
Is white lotus the name of the style?

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on the splashing hands?

Seems really good....

SaMantis
07-15-2003, 12:11 PM
Definitely go check out William Cheung's school (wingchuncalifornia.com). I'm not putting preference on WT in general, but his lineage is solid (Yip Man).

Grandmaster Cheung probably doesn't teach regularly (the website indicated that he just visits occasionally), but if his instructors are good that's no big deal.

Even if you decide it's not for you, you can ask questions and get straight answers about kung fu and maybe some leads on no-BS systems.

Don't know anything about the White Lotus system; Shaolin-Do probably won't be the traditional you're looking for; and I'll bet that terrible monk guy is just what he says he is: terrible. :p

Shaolinlueb
07-15-2003, 12:44 PM
yeah William Cheung is wing chung kung fu. master of many greats including bruce lee. i have a book of cheung's, "how to summon chi power" good stuff and I would go check him out. his student :uhh: if he teaches class with his shirt off, no.
terriblemonk.net made me laugh at first, but i would go check his school out first see how good he actually is.

You could always do like in shaolin vs lama and challenge the teacher to a fight, and if he cant beat you leave.

tnwingtsun
07-15-2003, 09:57 PM
Michael Casey
Battle style / Kampfstil: Wing Tzun
Street / Strasse: 640 N.Robertson Blvd.
Zip, City / PLZ, Ort: 90069 Los Angeles
Country / Land: USA
Telephone / Telefon: -
Fax: -
Mobile: -
Internet:
E-Mail: aewtohq@aol.com

Check this guy out BEFORE you go and see the monk clown.

Serpent
07-15-2003, 10:17 PM
Must... resist... temptation...

;)

William Cheung is not a master of Bruce Lee. He was a contemporary and they shared some class time. I have some serious issues with his teaching methods and claims and his Wing Chun is a rather shoddy. And I am speaking form experience, before anyone asks.

But like the others said. Check them out and see what fits.