PDA

View Full Version : School Advice: LA Academy of Wing Chun

MatT3T4
07-15-2003, 10:44 AM
http://www.wingchuncalifornia.com/

Does anyone know anything about this particular school? I am looking for a Kung Fu school near my house, and I have found three places, one Wing Chun, and two Shaolin. If anyone knows about this school, or the instructors, could you chime in for me? Thanks!

Ernie
07-15-2003, 11:08 AM
i checked it out many years ago , had a bit of a used car sales man feel to it real quick to try and lock you down into contracts so becareful what you sighn,
can't say anything about the quality since i haven't rolled with anyone from there ,
where do you live , there is a good bozetepe group in west l.a.
andrew from this forum teaches there real cool person and great skills ,
there is a small wsl group out in venice , good guys as well
thereis a ton of schools in monterey park wsl and others and there is hawkins place out in l.a. as well
just off the top of my head

MatT3T4
07-15-2003, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your reply.

I am in Reseda, in the Valley...I'm looking for a Kung Fu place in the valley, mainly because of my schedule, and I'm sure you know how the 405fwy is...yeah...I'd like to stay as far from it as possible, lol...

Ernie
07-15-2003, 11:13 AM
my bad
i thought that was a school out in burbank with a similar name . i don't know anything about the one you listed but maybe there are some William Cheung cats that can help you out

MatT3T4
07-15-2003, 11:15 AM
That's cool man, thanks for your help anyway.

kj
07-15-2003, 11:17 AM
One of Leung Sheung's students, Siu Wong, teaches semi-privately in the Alhambra area near downtown L.A.. Contact info is listed under the L.A. link on this (http://www.bawcsa.org) site.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

P.S. I haven't got a clue where 405 is.

Ernie
07-15-2003, 11:25 AM
kathy the 405 is the boogie man, it's hell for drivers grid lock all day every day,
alhambra , that's like 10 min. from my house maybe i'll visit

kj
07-15-2003, 01:09 PM
Hi Ernie.

Wong knows his stuff, and well worth the trouble to arrange a visit. He teaches from his home rather than publicly, and advance arrangement is appropriate. The URL I gave has contact information of his student who can provide details.

Just so you don't get caught off guard, Wong is deaf. I hardly notice however; he is highly expressive, extremely astute, and lip reads Cantonese and English excellently. IMHO, and perhaps ironically, he communicates far better than many "hearing" people I know. Combined with the fact that Wing Chun is a "touching" art, it is no issue.

FWIW, he also has an exquisite sense of humor, and happens to be one of the kindest and most delightful people I know.

Regards,
- kj

P.S. 405 sounds awful - thanks for the warning.

Ernie
07-15-2003, 02:18 PM
thanks kathy
i think i recently worked out with one of his assistant instructors at my gym, he metioned his sifu was named wong but i'll ask him next time i see him his name is carlos just in case you know him , i think he quit wing chun to pursue tai chi
either way i'm always down to work out with new people and here there views and luckily my current teacher incourages it .
thanks again

kj
07-15-2003, 02:36 PM
Hi Ernie.

I haven't met any of Siu Wong's students, other than briefly through email.

From the little I've seen and heard, I like the sounds of your teacher.

Regards,
- kj

Ernie
07-15-2003, 02:49 PM
kathy
thanks my teacher /coach/friend is all the above , he accepts me for how i am , enjoys the fact that i run wild and tend to stir things up , he believes wing chun is not a cookie cutter system it's very personal and individual so we should test train and experience as much as we can , to fully understand and appreciate all that wing chun has to offer .
all he can do is coach me , guide me but i have to live it out for myself ,
that's why i'm still with him , he understands individual growth and expression , even though i often step out of the wing chun world ,
if you ever want to check out more of him on video i got tons on my server

kj
07-15-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Ernie
if you ever want to check out more of him on video i got tons on my server

I'd enjoy it.

Regards,
- kj

Ernie
07-15-2003, 03:06 PM
did you ever get to see the pak sau video
or the po pai stuff i had up for awhile

MatT3T4
07-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Well, I will definitely be checking this school out, maybe even today. Seems that there is lots of praise for William Cheung on this forum.

kj
07-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Ernie
did you ever get to see the pak sau video
or the po pai stuff i had up for awhile

I don't recall it. I only recall seeing one called "changing hands" and of course stills from the website.

Regards,
- kj

Ernie
07-15-2003, 03:30 PM
kathy i sent you a pm with the info for my server i got a few people on there now so it's slow but it's worth the wait , tell me what you think once you get it