PDA

View Full Version : Hey BJJ dudes!

shaolin kungfu
07-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Does henry matamoros teach for sport or for self defence, or both? I'm planning on going to his school this friday, but until I can get there, I thought I'd ask here.

Merryprankster
07-16-2003, 02:30 AM
Probably both.

Most BJJ schools have that mix.

shaolin kungfu
07-16-2003, 02:32 AM
Cool, thanks.:)

Edit: Oh, i almost forgot, does he do gracie style brazilian jiu jitsu? I've heard there's a difference between that and other BJJ.:confused:

chen zhen
07-16-2003, 03:10 AM
Welcome back, SKF!:)
And good luck with the BJJ. It's a waaay better choice than the Krav Maga.;)

Kempo Guy
07-16-2003, 08:58 AM
I think the main difference between Gracie JJ and BJJ is in the teaching methods... the techniques don't change much.

Another thing I've noticed though is that GJJ emphasizes relaxation in technique. This could also be the preference of the instructor...

KG

shaolin kungfu
07-16-2003, 09:46 AM
And good luck with the BJJ. It's a waaay better choice than the Krav Maga.

Thanks.:)

Yeah, And I've heard the teacher knows his stuff really well. So barring any schedule conflicts, and if money isn't a problem, I'll probally start training there soon.:)

chen zhen
07-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Nice.;)
U been busy lately? Travelin? U not been around that much.

btw, I'll be starting some grappling as well, in JKD. They teach the Vale-Tudo way of BJJ, where the usual sports-limitations of it are banished, and punches, dirty tricks, etc are allowed as part of the game.;)

shaolin kungfu
07-16-2003, 10:37 AM
U been busy lately? Travelin? U not been around that much.

Got back not too long ago from the last week long vacation( which sucked about as much as the one before it).

btw, I'll be starting some grappling as well, in JKD. They teach the Vale-Tudo way of BJJ, where the usual sports-limitations of it are banished, and punches, dirty tricks, etc are allowed as part of the game.

Sounds good, hope you have fun with it.:)

chen zhen
07-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Yes, I hope so. Here's the school: www.jkd.dk
It's in danish, though.;)

So, u was visiting South Park-land again?:D

shaolin kungfu
07-16-2003, 10:50 AM
Umm, looks good. I wish I could understand it though. I went to the tips section, as well as the events section, cause those were the only words on the main page that i understood.:D :(

No, this time I spent most of the time visiting with a proffesor of mathematics from Notre Dame. You can geuss how exciting that was.

chen zhen
07-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Oh, yesss!:D

Merryprankster
07-17-2003, 02:28 AM
There's no difference between GJJ and BJJ besides marketing. Neither is more or less successful than the other. Both emphasize relaxation, energy managment and "flow wid de go."

Xebsball
07-17-2003, 12:04 PM
they be the same
no one here makes distiction simply cos there is no distinction
people who make distinction between those are tripping on some shyte

shaolin kungfu
07-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Thanks everyone:)

chen zhen
07-18-2003, 03:22 AM
Sum grapplin'-inspiration for ya, SKF:
http://www.subfighter.net/downloads/highlights/tournament/genki.sudo.westside.wmv
(save link as)

It's from that thread on the main board, in case u have'nt seen it.

shaolin kungfu
07-18-2003, 03:41 AM
Yeah, i saw that.

That guy is fast as hell. Badass.:cool:

chen zhen
07-18-2003, 04:00 AM
He's my hero. *sob*

:D:p

some of his moves looked like breakdancing.:cool:

Kempo Guy
07-18-2003, 09:11 AM
MP,

Regarding whether there's a difference between BJJ & GJJ, I was just speaking from personal experience.

I've trained at the Gracie Academy and found the training there different in terms of teaching structure as opposed to other BJJ schools. Also the Gracie Academy they definitely emphasized relaxation way more than any other BJJ schools I've been to (although I've only been to about six of them).

KG

Xebsball
07-18-2003, 10:01 AM
*makes Strong Bad voice*
oh for christs sake man!

the differences you speak of are from teacher to teacher, school to school, not style to style